SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_16647

Deceptive review policies on Etsy...long buyer beware story.

User
7 years ago

I've been on the search for the perfect leather purse and found myself looking through Etsy. After my last Etsy experience, it was with some apprehension but I ultimately found a store that sells exactly what I was looking for. The Leather Store, owned by Beckie Sims. It's in the UK, but with well over 12,000 sales, a 5 star rating and over 4000 reviews (many from the States), I felt like the chances of something going wrong was minimal. I went back years in the reviews too and only found a slim few that had complaints, most of which were about issues with the lining. Still she had a 14 day return policy to work with. Many reviews claimed she was quick and/or very responsive, so I took the plunge. I ordered my perfect bag and a turn clasp wallet as well to go with it. It was my Christmas present from DH and I was so excited!

The bag comes via Fedex and is delivered FAST, I mean within a couple of days fast. My DD and I were so excited. She loved the bags too and was thinking of ordering. Signature is required. Since I work in the field, I had it delivered to DD's work. After opening the box together, we were drooling over the bag and wallet when my DD noticed that the fabric in the bag was separating from the leather; it wasn't stitched in, it was glued in and the glue was failing to adhere to the leather. The wallet was equally as pretty, just like the pics, but when I turned the clasp to open it, it had a boinking sound and felt wonky, like it was going to loose a spring. It wasn't severe but if I had seen the wallet in a store, I would have tried another one to see if they all worked that way. If they did, I would've skipped buying it.

I sent an email to the store explaining the problem and asked if there was an easy fix for the lining that I could do myself. I was thinking that maybe there is a special glue they use or something she could recommend. If not, I'd prefer an exchange for one that wasn't defective. I really felt she'd just provide quick quip about which glue to use and it would be done, I didn't even mention the wallet issue, since I knew I couldn't fix it. Crickets. After three days I emailed again. When I finally got a response it was to my surprise that she had completely ignored my inquiry about a fix or even an exchange. Instead she provided the directions for returning the bag. Send USPS because it was the cheapest blah blah blah....worried about the 14 day return policy I packed the bag (and wallet) up and headed to the post office. It cost 80.00 to return it and that upset me because the bag came out of the box defective. In hind sight, I thought she should have been more willing to bear some of the burden to return it. After all, I was told by Fedex that she has an account, even if I still paid to return it, it would cost 20.00 as opposed to 80.00. She could have saved me a lot of money by offering to do so, but it was obvious to me that as long as she got the bag back in perfect and sellable condition, she really didn't care about it.

The post office said their service would not deliver within the 14 day deadline especially since it took her 5 days to respond, so being the honest person that I am, I sent her a confirmation email to advise of the return date and assumed she'd refund me once the bag arrived. I told her I still loved her products but hoped she was doing something to address the lining issue since there were a few other reviews stating they had had the same problem. I also said my feelings about having to pay to return it adding that I've now paid so much in postage costs, I can no longer afford to buy a replacement which was my Christmas present. The next day, I get an Etsy generated email saying that my Etsy order with The Leather Store had been cancelled and my refund was being processed but not another word from her, which was disappointing. I was going to leave a review sighting that the bags are indeed gorgeous (I still want one) but that yes there are problems with the lining; not to be vindictive but because it's true! However, it was only the 8th of January and Etsy had restricted me from leaving a review until the 17th and that's why she cancelled the transaction before the bag was even delivered to her as opposed to refunding it. In short, a two week return policy, along with the Etsy imposed wait to post a review is the perfect scenario for the Seller to avoid any negative feedback; regardless of the buyers experience. The truth is that all those wonderful reviews do not depict an accurate picture of the sellers history and Etsy has essentially made it so that there is no way to hold a Seller accountable if there's a problem with a sale.

After my last experience with Etsy, this one has pretty much sealed the deal. I absolutely won't be using it anymore and I strongly suggest others who do buy from Etsy, do it with caution and the understanding that it really is a crap shoot. Etsy's policies are all about the Seller and you will ultimately be the looser if something happens to go awry.

I was thinking about calling Etsy to have a conversation, but really, is it even worth the time?

Comments (45)