SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nippstress

Odd rose replacement policy by Jackson&Perkins - cold zoners beware

Hi folks

As Jackson & Perkins starts to do their sales of bare root roses (currently it's 15% off select floribundas), I thought I'd share my experience with them from last summer's purchases as a precaution for those of us in cold zones. I bought about 12 bare root roses at their spring clearance sale some time in April or May and planted them out promptly after the usual soaking period. They got decent care and we had ample rain and sun throughout the year. I realize that clearance roses are not usually prime specimens, but I'm pretty good at pulling roses through in general.

As many people mentioned, the J&P roses were EXTREMELY slow to break dormancy, so I gave them a lot of leeway. Bill Warriner arrived pretty crispy and never even pretended to try to grow, but 9 out of the 12 finally did a little leafing out by September or October (yep, as much as 4-5 months to break dormancy). By November, the remaining two as well as poor Bill had cankered to the ground and had clearly never grown, either arriving dead or quickly cankering out without ever showing signs of life. I sent photos of the roses as they arrived and at points in the season to J&P and asked for replacement credit toward next year for the roses that were not viable when they arrived.

While I was waiting for a response, in early December J&P put some additional roses on sale and I bought four potted specimens. They don't let you specify shipping dates for their roses, even though I requested spring 2016 in the special instructions, but their website clearly said at the time that "roses will be sent in spring at appropriate planting time for your zone". Turns out J&P shipped the roses immediately in December, which is an insane time to plant anything in zone 5, particularly small actively growing 3" potted roses, even though the ground wasn't quite frozen yet. I stuck them into the best protected spot I could find (nothing overwinters for me in pots), and promptly emailed J&P that there was virtually no chance these roses would survive either the planting or trying to send them back in the snow, and that I'd be contacting them in spring for replacement of these roses that they didn't in fact hold until spring as advertised, in addition to the 3 roses that had arrived dead and never broke dormancy.

Well I finally got a response from J&P to this last message. They curtly remarked that the three roses that arrived dead were not rated as hardy in my zone and they would not replace these as a blanket policy. Now remember, I wasn't expecting replacement after winter survival - 10-20% of roses that a zone pusher like me plants don't survive the winter and I never consider that the company's fault. I was only asking replacement for roses that didn't arrive as live or viable plants in the SUMMER, which should be expected of roses of any type from any company in any zone. Even marginal rose sellers like Springhill and Brecks will replace roses without question if they arrive dead or fail to thrive in the first summer, but not J&P. They apparently don't consider it their responsibility to send live plant matter. They did say that they would replace the four roses from December if they died, but only because they were coincidentally rated for my zone, not because the company had violated their own policy by sending them at a nonfunctional time for zone 5.

I have a lot of respect for the rose breeders that have contributed to the historical J&P and they still offer some roses that aren't available elsewhere. I am aware that they are now in essence a "big box company" and I didn't expect much in customer service these days, but this response really flummoxed me. It's clearly a policy made by people who don't understand or particularly care much about roses or the people who grow them. I already vote with my feet and dollars to support the companies like Roses Unlimited and Burlington and Palatine and Long Ago Roses and Rogue Valley and High Country Roses and Heirloom and Regan's and Antique Rose Emporium that make sensible policies and a sincere effort to deal honestly with customers. I normally wouldn't call J&P on the carpet by name for an error in rose shipment or quality, but since this is clearly a company policy that is not open for discussion or change it's something we should be aware of.

Bottom line is to check the zone rating of roses before you buy any from them, however good the sales may be. I did order a few this spring that I absolutely haven't been able to find elsewhere, but I checked that they are indeed rated for zone 5. Fortunately their zone listings are insanely optimistic, rating most of their HTs and floribundas for zone 5, so they are stuck living up to the limits of their own propaganda. This isn't an issue for folks in the warmer zones, but it was such a surprising policy I thought it would be good to alert other cold zoners to be cautious if you order (and of course to primarily patronize companies that seem to want our rose business). I'm only risking 3 J&P roses out of the over 300 roses I have coming from various companies for this spring, but I now recognize it as a risk and order (or not) accordingly.

Forewarned is forearmed, and once spring hits I'll need to be "four-armed" to get those roses planted anyway (not to mention my aching back)...

Cynthia

Comments (15)