SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mtnrdredux_gw

My AirBnB foray (because Gooster asked)

mtnrdredux_gw
9 years ago

So, we are always going somewhere and while we like luxury --- who doesn't --- we also like to have unique experiences. And so we have stayed in caves and lighthouses, along with the fancy pants places.

I have been curious about Air BnB but the confluence of circumstances have never been just right. But, there are two upcoming situations where I think it is worth the risk. These will be situations where, if we aren't happy, we will be in a place where it will be easy and convenient to find an alternative.

So, I have now booked AirBnB stays in March in LA (family) and June in NYC (girls weekend). I will certainly let everyone know how it goes, but already I have learned a lot I thought I'd pass along fwiw.

If your image of AirBnB is of a Gen X'er flopping on a sofa in a DUMBO rent controlled basement apartment (did i get that vernacular right), that is still the bulk of the business. But a lot of the business is now "professionals". These are units that are rented out without any owner present, and where the owner clearly does not occupy the unit even when it is not rented. At a recent hearing in NYC it was estimated that a third of AirBnB units there are investor properties, not the quaint image of the creative couple opening up their guest room and sharing their vinyl collection over tea and cronuts.

Of course, it's risky. There is no brand names standing behind these properties and all sorts of things can happen. OTOH you get experiences you cannot get in a hotel at any price. A lot of suites in hotels are stuffy,fuddy duddy corporate places. Or if they are cool and sleek and even quite large with terraces and levels, they are designed for a couple that is entertaining. Outside of AirBnB (or similar) it is hard to stay somewhere with the feel of living there.

It was really eye-opening and time-consuming trying to find a place on Air BnB. Take the girls-weekend search. A bunch of us are meeting in NYC. We want a place where we can sit around and talk at the end of the day , and we want to be able to eat-in a lot of our meals (shop at Dean and DeLuca or Fairway or Zabar's, or order in, or whatever, rather than be stuffed in a crowded noisy pricey restaurant at every meal).

One of the places that first drew me when I looked on Air BnB is linked below.... if you go to the link, take a quick look at the listing and the photos. This property is illustrative of some of the things I've learned to beware of.

First of all, it sounded like a cool location and the decor was fun. Now they do not give you the exact location until you book. Sometimes you can figure it out. This was easy; they said it was over a certain spa, so i googled it. Well, so much for location. This is the view:

{{gwi:2134990}}

As for the decor, well if you flip through the link, it has a kind of hip, new-agey, eclectic vibe. Except if you read closely, it seems that a lot of what you see won't be there. It was from a photo shoot in a British magazine.

So for example, if you think this is a cool room, you had better bring a photo of it and style it yourself.
{{gwi:2134991}}

Because if you read the caption closely, that was a shot from an editorial, but this it the room "normally"
{{gwi:2134992}}

Which actually segues to another subject. And one that i think the site is very remiss on. The first B in "BnB' stands for "bed". The site should really think about what bed means. For this listing, it says there are 3bedrooms, 5 beds, and it accommodates 6 people.

All of those numbers sound odd. 5 beds seem like a lot for 3 bedROOMs. And why can you only fit 6 people in five beds. And, on top of it, why do the photos appear to show only TWO bedrooms.

So, you have to email the host to solve these mysteries, but here goes. There are, in humanspeak, really only two bedrooms and three beds. One has a Queen bed, one has two twin beds in an "L formation". So where are the other two beds, you may ask? Oh, that is simple. They can "put in" a queen futon and a queen airbed. Oh yippee, won't that be lovely? And where do they go, pray tell?

Well, they go in the dining room, silly. And where,uhh, does the dining room table go? Oh, there is room for it all you are told. And yes, if you look again at the photos, boys and girls, it is all so plain, right there in the caption at the bottom, that the DR is the third bedroom, et voila:

{{gwi:2134993}}

Please take a look again at the rates, per night, in June while you contemplate sleeping and dining in your dining room with a queen futon and queen air mattress, too.

Lastly, there are policies you usually don't even think about. Like check in and check out. What, 3pm and 11 or 12 , right? Oh no this would be check in at 5pm and get your fanny out at 10am. at which point the maid arrives, for whom you are paying $300 on top of the room rate, too.

After all this you may change your mind. Uhh, not a good idea. Even if it's months in advance, that will charge you 50% of the total stay plus a fee if you cancel. But, if they sell the unit or just flake out, I am pretty sure you just get your money back and you need to scramble.

So, why did we do it? We chose places that had many many reviews (not just a handful) and appeared professionally run and whose hosts answered queries very promptly and professionally. We chose properties that were well located and offered truly unique space that could not be found in any hotel and would give us lots of room as well as outdoor space. We shall see...

{{gwi:1491575}}

Here is a link that might be useful: Things are not what they seem, are they?

This post was edited by mtnrdredux on Tue, Jan 27, 15 at 23:25

Comments (45)

• User
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I booked my first Airbnb rental a few months ago but haven't stayed there yet. My son graduates from college in May and told me years ago that Charlottesville books up a year ahead of graduation. Did I listen to him? When he was home over Thanksgiving break he reminded me that I need to get a hotel and of course, there were none to be found within an hour of the city. I found an adorable bungalow in a fun part of town -- so cute! It will be much more comfortable than staying in a hotel, as my other son will be with me so it will be nice to have the extra space. I am also about to book an apartment in Brooklyn for spring break in March! You're right about checking reviews carefully. One of the spots I wanted to rent in Brooklyn showed in a review that the owner had cancelled a week before the guests were to arrive so that automatically got crossed off my list.

• Related Discussions

What foods/dishes do you not cook because...

Q

Comments (45)
    To be fair, most of my meals are pretty simple since it's normally just me. There's not a lot I couldn't or wouldn't cook, and there will always I'm sure be things I will want to try, though I don't delve particularly heavily unless I am having guests. My biggest impediment in the past has been feeling at once overwhelmed by extremely long ingredient lists in recipes, and sometimes by trying to figure out what some of that stuff is and where to find it, but I've tried to work on that and educate myself over time. I buy a lot of rotisserie chickens at Albertson's (most stores have them but I like theirs best), from which I can get several nice meals of varying types. I don't know if these are sold as "loss leaders" or fall in line with pricing of other items, but for what they cost I'm not going to put forth the effort or turn on the oven or invest in one of those Ron Popeil chicken cookers. I have found that I don't like purchased "red sauce" (eaten with pasta for a simple, quick workday meal) regardless of how I may try to doctor it so I make it, which is easy and keep it on hand that way. I go only rarely to any sort of notable steak house, but enjoy steak once in a while beyond that and am quite satisfied with what I can turn out with my All Clad grill pan at not that much cost purchased at a sale. I was surprised at the number of people who don't do rib roasts. They're not cheap, but they're very easy and if you have red meat eaters they make a really elegant special occasion meal. Baking of any kind I could do night and day and never tire of it. I'd like to learn more of the aesthetic aspect of it. Cooking is fine and I like it, though if I met up with a guy who liked to cook, I'd hand over the reins and never give it another thought, but I'd always continue with the hobby of baking.
    ...See More

First foray into Milk Paint / SafePaint

Q

Comments (17)
    That's the amazing thing about milk paint -- it's gorgeous in all lighting. Radiant even. The color shifts a bit, as with all paint, but it's always pretty. My LR is painted in pumpkin & sometimes it's coppery, sometime tomato soup red depending on the season & sunlight. At night it's just a fabulous warm burnt orange under the incandescents. Same thing with my BR painted w/ a mix of oyster white & a touch of sea green. So what colors did you purchase? How exciting! Your home is so beautiful. Will be fun to follow your projects.
    ...See More

My AirBnB foray (because Gooster asked)

Q

Comments (3)
    Interesting! We have friends who have rented out rooms via AirBnB at their ranch/farm. Decent house. The people do get separate bedrooms but no private place to lounge around except the rooms. They train horses so they have horses of their own and a large arena and horse trails that you can also hike on. I don't know if they make the horses available to people. They also have chickens and rabbits. It might be fun to stay there if someone is looking for a bit of a farm experience. However, they are about 30 minutes from the nearest town and more like an hour from beaches or anything else one might consider touristy. I don't know what they charge. We have done some free hosting via Couch-Surfing. My husband and I like to bicycle and have done short multi-night trips on our bikes a few times. So we mainly host cyclists going up/down the coast as we can relate to them although they tend to be more our kid's ages. it's been interesting. Some of them, I'd be glad to host again anytime. Some...not so much. However, we've never actually stayed with someone else. We are fair-weather cyclists and prefer camping. When we went to Europe in our youth, we did the thing where you just show up in a town via train and someone at the station has a list of homes with rooms to rent and they call to see if there's an opening and off you go. Most of these were extra rooms, like the kid away at college. It was really enjoyable. Those seem harder to find across The Pond so we've not done that in years as they were increasingly taken over by hostels or people who seemed to be more in it for the money than for the fun of hosting people. I wish we could recreate that experience. Sitting in someone's lovely garden, eating breakfast with them, while discussing politics and cultural differences. It was great! Times change, I guess.
    ...See More

Piatra Gray Quartz & Viatera Minuet? Gooster & Anyone else?

Q

Comments (17)
    @designsaavy, I love my marble, but to be honest, I am pretty careful with it - probably more so than I have to be! My main concern is etching; if you have a really good sealer and pick up spills fairly quickly, staining shouldn't be a huge issue. My daughter sits and eats at our island sometimes, and we haven't had any issues. We do have a few etch spots, but I can't even see them unless I lean down and look from a particular angle. I would definitely recommend getting honed marble over polished, which helps hide any "patina." :)
    ...See More
  • mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi Tibb,
    I'm not sure why you say Air Bnb makes up front communication impossible? We emailed extensively and texted. I suppose we could have chatted too, idk, but I was totally satisfied with communications.

I didn't have an issue with fees because we aren't really renting things that are comparable to any hotels one could find.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Yes, you can email through the site, but no phone calls until the place is booked. The problem here is that AirBnb and HomeAway, these huge sites, are morphing the hotel experience with private homes as vacation rentals, and they are very different things. Homeowners are not comfortable with just written word communication before booking. For instance, imagine if you were going on a trip and wanted to rent your home while you were away. Wouldn't you want to actually speak to the person before deciding to rent your house to them? Anyone can text, but a scammer isn't going to give you a legitimate phone #, and that is another way we VR owners screen for phishers and scammers.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

What would prevent one from speaking? We texted? I just never thought to or wanted to call.

You may have different concerns as a host, but as a renter, the airbnb vetting ... Really, primarily in this case, the over 50 reviews in the last 2 yrs.... was enough for me to feel comfortable that it was not a scam. Much harder for you as a host .... How many potential guests will have been reviewed 50 times!

Edited to add ... Btw, I've already paid in full for these stays to air Bnb, so how scammy can a guest be, KWIM? You pay as soon as you book, and the host knows that, although I'm sure they don't receive until they perform, it sure eradicates that risk for the host.

This post was edited by mtnrdredux on Wed, Jan 28, 15 at 9:16

• DLM2000-GW
    9 years ago

Tibbrix - something is weird because I've been able to communicate with homeowners on Airbnb and ask for more info before I book. That's how we made our move from IL to NC - we rented an airbnb cottage to stay in for 2 weeks while we looked for a 'permanent' house to rent for a year. I would not have made a commitment like that without direct contact. Last year my son and I took a trip in CA and we/he contacted homeowners prior to booking - a casita in San Francisco and a guest cottage in Cambria. Last July we went to CA for a wedding and rented a house 3 br 2 ba house in Huntington Beach for family coming in from 3 different states. My son took a trip to the coast for a concert and stayed on a moored boat. He uses airbnb far more than I have and never books without contact with the homeowner.

Of course there is room for deception on any of these sites I imagine, so the old adage buyer beware applies. Maybe we've just been lucky but we haven't been disappointed yet and the homeowners have been lovely to work with.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Guests?

That's why I mentioned that in the first comment, that owners want to be able to review guests, which they can do on AirBnb but not on other sites. but those sites are moving toward that now too.

I would not recommend renting your house to someone based solely on emails and texting! And as I said, there is a very big difference between renting a hotel room and renting a house, but these sites are morphing those two things, and there are going to be very big problems as a result.

I think AirBnb is great, as I said, for the one or two night, need a bed, thing. Their model does not work well for the vacation rental, though. And conversely, the vacation rental site model, a la HomeAway, VRBO, et al, doesn't work well with the hotel model. But these sites are trying to combine the two.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

dim, I didn't say you can't contact the owner on Airbnb. Of course you can. The owner gets the inquiry.

but you can't have phone/verbal communication on these sites prior to "booking". the problem there is that, if a traveler is hitting "book it" buttons on multiple properties because they want to speak to the owner, or because the owner wants to speak to them, that closes off those properties for other potential renters until that traveler makes their decision.

Also, as I said, since most weekly-plus vacation rentals are advertised on more than one site, are you not better off getting the same house without paying 12 - 15% over and above the rent?

I'm not bashing AirBnb. I think in fact it's a great idea. I'm just saying that model doesn't work very well for private home vacation rentals for various reasons.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

And btw, I had my house on Airbnb briefly but took it down because it was a costly nightmare…for my type of rental. Not for every type.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Dlm, I'm optimistic! Most important thing I think is to choose places with lots if reviews and read the reviews carefully. People tend not to want to say negative things about personal homes the way the would a hotel.

Gail, i bet the bungalow will be great! I worry a lot more in nyc and la, KWIM? Charlottesville is such a great city, we were there last spring. Highly recommend Clifton Inn, great food too. we stayed In their Collina farmhouse and I liked it so much I may have posted photos here iirc!

Tibb, still don't follow you.i emailed and texted owners extensively BEFORE booking. If I wanted to call, why couldn't i... I had a number from the text? Even so, I communicated all I needed to before booking.

• robo (z6a)
    9 years ago

Mtn, sounds like you did a lot of great buyer beware stuff! When we spoke before I forgot to mention to check # of bedrooms and count beds but you did anyway.

I rely heavily on the reviews. As a guest, I now have a few reviews as well ("very clean" - they don't know me very well! But I do clean frantically before checkout) which means a few of the higher end places are more likely to book me in.

This is one of the nicest places I've stayed through airbnb and now serves as cottage dream material. You can find some great places on there if you're choosy.

• joaniepoanie
    9 years ago

DS's GF had a business trip to Rio and São Paulo in November and he tagged along. They stayed at AirBnB apartments in both places and were very happy with them and from the pictures they took they did look like nice places, decent locations and views.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Tibb... in re fees, Air BnB did not charge the traveler 12-15% above the rent, as you noted above, at least not in my case.

The LA stay has a 6.3% fee, NY has 7%.

Considering NY hotel tax is like 14.75% .... the fees look low.

Again, no idea how they impact your economics. And at least for what we wanted, there was no way to do an apples to apples comparison with a hotel.

But I do imagine that if AirBnB is doing mostly shorter stays and often budget stays (like a spare bedroom with shared bath), the fees at a % of the stay would be higher than a weekly home rental; that makes sense.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Tibb, I was responding to your sentence:

However, AirBnb makes upfront communication between the owner and the traveler impossible.

That has not been anyone's experience.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Oopsk you're right mtn. My mistake. Airbnb is 6 - 12% for travelers, depending on the amount of the rent.

I think I was thinking 15 by adding the 3% the owner pays for the booking.

• User
    9 years ago

Mtn - yes, I'm sure Cville is a less risky place to rent than NYC or LA. The Clifton Inn looks lovely. I like to stay right around The Corner or the Downtown Mall area, so I can walk around to eat and shop, plus it's close to my son's house. But I am still trying to decide where to go to dinner after graduation, so will check out their menu - thanks. I'm going to miss going up to visit him after he graduates -- it's such a great city.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

It is! Congrats to him! What a wonderful school.

• User
    9 years ago

mtn - maybe you can help me out with my Brooklyn choice since you seem to be familiar with the area. I am choosing Brooklyn because I think it will be a fun place to stay, esp. for my 20 and 22yo sons, but also because we are driving there and I'm thinking street parking will be easier to find there than in, say, lower Manhattan. The place I'm planning on renting says on-site parking, which btw, is another funny way of saying on-STREET parking. Am I right in thinking it'll be easier to park in Brooklyn? I've never been there. I could ask the owner, but I'm sure he'll say it's no problem to find spots on the street. Don't want to be driving in circles or parking blocks away. The rental is in Prospect Place. Any thoughts? Thanks!

• 4boys2
    9 years ago

I think there is a difference between people who rent-out their "homes"-
    as apposed to people who rent-out a "piece of property" they own.
    Emotionally.... you would want that closer contact.
    As a business...you would just want to have that secured deposit.

• tinam61
    9 years ago

Nothing to comment on AirBnB, but I have to say we have had great success with VRBO. We are not particularly fond of hotels. We love to rent a villa/condo, or a cottage/small house. We have been very lucky in seeking out older cottages, many decorated with antiques. Also, our small dog often travels with us and through VRBO, we've even rented locations with a fenced in area! Honestly, we have not had one bad experience with VRBO. Anyway, just throwing my 2 cents in.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

I advertise my house on VRBO, as well as the boutique, local site. VRBO used to be SO great, before HomeAway got its paws on it. It's going down hill, fast. Still worth looking for a rental on, though. I'd like to ring the neck of the people who founded it and sold it to HA.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Gail,
    I suppose I am more familiar than some; i live in a far burb and am in Manhattan once a week, and used to live here. I visit Bklyn from time to time. But someone here may know far more.

I don't know where you are coming from, but personally i would not choose to drive to or within Manhattan OR Brooklyn. If there is one thing I abhor it is traffic. And isnt that part of Prospect Hts, like near the Chldrns Museum? wont there be alternate side of the street parking rules there? Once you get there, do you plan to drive around too or just park?

Lastly, why Bklyn? Yes, id go there to live. Id go there as a foodie or to go to Bklyn Flea. I might go there if it was umpteenth time in NYC and I wanted something different? Or if is is a huge bargain compared to NYC ( IDK?) and I was going to subway everywhere?

• User
    9 years ago

Thanks mtn. We are foodies, so that is part of the reason. Although obviously there's no shortage of good places to eat in Manhattan. I don't plan on driving around once I get there. But yes, I believe I did read somewhere that you would have to switch sides of the street on one of the Brooklyn listings. I didn't really think too much about that but that could be a hassle if we had to get back to move the car. Do you just have to move it at the end of each day? I'll have to look into that. I figured we'd be using the subway to get around regardless of where we stay. You have given me some things to think about. Thank you!

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I have to ask the woman who helps us out with the kids and cooks for us; her daughter recently moved out of Bklyn and IIRC she was right near the Bklyn Childrens musuem. I will ask her is parking on the street was doable or not. What time of year?

• User
    9 years ago

Spring break which I think is mid-March. Maybe I should ask him what on-site parking means. I am assuming it means on street, because it does not say anything about a garage or reserved spots and I think that would be specifically mentioned if it were the case. Thanks!

• 4boys2
    9 years ago

gail~ Have you gone to Google Earth and searched the address ?

• User
    9 years ago

Hi forboystoo -- I think I got a pretty good idea of the neighborhood and googled the streetview, but it was a few weeks ago and I looked at so many places, I'm not sure. But I will try that again. Like mtn said, you don't get the exact address before booking but lots of times you can pretty much figure it out.

• Gooster
    9 years ago

Oh, I totally forgot to check for the thread in conversations, and here it is! (and I'm called out in the subject line).

@mtnredux your choice and research sounds like the right thing to do. We've used the service twice: once in a seaside apartment in France (the owner actually lived still in the building and her stuff was clearly still in the place) and once in Rome, near the Vatican (a multi-room apartment that was clearly converted into a full-time short term rental unit and was managed by the owner who had two other apartments. A great guy with a great old apartment with a view of the Piazza).

We turned our 2nd home (a one BR industrial loft) into an AirBnB place last summer. It's located in the heart of the city in a popular mixed use district for business and convention attendees, great restaurants, nightlife and tourism, and close to transportation and the water. We use a professional concierge service to handle bookings, greetings, checkout and guest issues. They also handle cleaning, provide linens and do stocking. AirBnB provided a professional photographer to take pictures, and we've had guests surprised that the place matches the pictures (why not?). We've had guests stay up to 25 days (one guy on business, one German couple visiting their daughter) and were pretty much booked 95%+ of the time we made it available. We experienced one set of problem guests, but we don't accept every booking, and tend to maintain a a slightly premium price. We took the unit off the market because the new short term rental regulations are coming into effect.

The upsides are the extra money to defray expenses; the downside is the extra wear and tear. In fact, for this season, I'll be shopping to replace and upgrade some items. I will warn, however, that some of these AirBnB places are stocked with the barest of furniture and linens or don't disclose that they are in a high crime area.

{{gwi:1491575}}

This post was edited by gooster on Wed, Jan 28, 15 at 23:41

• Jorge Roques
    9 years ago

mtnrdredux_gw and tibbrix: I'm having a hard time understanding the AirBnb business model. It's repeated they charge the owner 3% and the traveler 12 - 15%, isn't that saying they charge 15-18%?

The owner/host sets the price/total amount at $100. Does ABB re-sets 12-15% higher? and then charges 3% out of the 100?

I would greatly appreciate a further explanation on this.

• robo (z6a)
    9 years ago

As a guest you book at a certain nightly rate that includes both the room rate and a cleaning fee for the host, and you also see a service fee to AirBNB. So for example, say I see a rate of $176 per night for a room listed by a host. When I go to pay I see the following breakdown:

$160 x 3 nights = $480

Cleaning fee = $50

(add both together = $530 and divide by three to get $176 per night)

On top of that I pay a Service fee to Airbnb = $64

Total payable = $594

(real example)

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

My kids have stayed at several airbnbs domestically and abroad, ranging from totally basic, think hostel, to cool designer digs. In some cases it was really a private owner renting space, in other, it was more like an "underground" business.

There was a very interesting article in one the Silicon magazines that voted airbnb as company of the year (can't find it online); however, it gave an interesting overview of some of the legal challenges airbnb faces. Basically, some argue that some hosts are running hotels without installing safety features, like sprinklers, emergency exits, etc.

The other issue is that taxes aren't paid.

An airbnb article, especially about NYC

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

Actually, here's the article.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

nsm, just hit the little pencil in the upper right-hand corner of the comment you want to edit.

AirBnb I suspect will be a flash in the pan. Might be okay for that one-or-two night stay in an extra room in someone's house (aside from the legal challenges NSM/the article bring up), but for anything remotely pricey, i.e.: high-end, vacation rentals, etc., it is VERY expensive for the traveler (and for the vacation rental owner). You can probably find the same house on another site, or other sites and pay NO commission over and above the rent, if that site is a subscription site, which the homeowner pays.

As one, I can also assure everyone that vacation rental owners PREFER the subscription model, where WE pay the subscription fee and travelers don't pay any commission. OR, we think at the very most, any site fee should be split between homeowners and travelers, i.e.: homeowners pay a subscription to advertise their homes and travelers pay a small , set fee per booking, like $25. But this 6 - 12% commission on a weekly vacation rental that might be $2K or more a week? Ridiculous. AirBnb is not a good model for that kind of rental.

And a tip: the absolute BEST vacation rental sites are the small boutique sites that cater solely to that area. They tend to have higher quality rentals and attract better guests as well. Price is the same, though (or should be, unless the homeowner is pulling something he/she shouldn't' be). Cape Cod's is wennedavacation.com. Just a wonderful site. Very personal service. So look for those kinds of sites in resort areas rather than the big boys, which are just awful.

• robo (z6a)
    9 years ago

I love it because I love reading user reviews. That's very important to me. And my accommodations have been reasonable (equal to or less than a hotel room in the area) with greater amenities (kitchen). I only ever rent entire homes or apartments, mind you.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Jorge, I was mistaken. the Traveler commission rates on AirBnb are 6 - 12%, depending on the rent. The higher the rent, the lower the commission. I don't know what the break off points are, though.

The owner pays 3%. So AirBnb is getting 9 - 15%, which is very hefty. Consider the taxes the owner is paying, the rent the traveler is paying, esp. on a vacation rental/resort area where rents are high, mortgages, repairs and maintenance..it's absurd. There's a lot of upheaval right now in that industry because these sites are really gouging homeowners and travelers.

In addition, these rental sites are getting income from THOUSANDS, even hundreds of thousands of properties, while travelers are making ONE trip and homeowners are renting ONE property. from which they make their livelihoods. It is pure greed on the part of the rental sites. I do think that commission and PPB model will collapse at some point.

In addtion, as an owner, one thing about the commission/PPB sites is that, when you get an inquiry, they practically have to book the property before you can have any meaningful vetting conversation (for both sides). These sites have software that prevents - quite strenuously - any ability to give the inquirer a phone # to call (and vice versa), an email address, etc., and the reason is they don't want you referring the traveler to another site where you also advertise your property but where the traveler wouldn't have to pay the commission, which homeowners actually want to do for their guests.

My feeling is, if you have to disallow free communication, cause people to try to write in code (and even then, it fails) in order to keep customers from finding your competition, there is something wrong with your model.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

robo, ALL VR sites have user reviews.

The ONLY thing I like about AirBnb is that it allows owners to review guests. We owners live in fear of a negative review and that keeps our feet to the fire and works to keep our rentals safe and clean, etc. But we are subjected to abusive guests because they are not subjected to being scrutinized and possibly denied a rental because they were deemed terrible renters. HOwever, the other sites are supposedly working on providing that as well.

• robo (z6a)
    9 years ago

They all do, however, it seems to me as a consumer that AirBNB and VRBO have the most users and hence the most reviews, therefore as a consumer I prefer them. Tripadvisor has some but I find usually they are for bigger enterprises like hotels. For me AirBNB has been affordable, popular and worked well so I'll continue to use it.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Flipkey is Tripadvisor. VRBO is HomeAway, as is VacationRentals.com. AirBnb is its own. VRBO was a GREAT site until HomeAway acquired it. Lots of battles going on over there between the VR owners and HA execs. Owners are not happy campers.

Again, AirBnb is great for what it started out being, finding a room for twenty-something to crash in, i.e.; hostels.

But for a family vacation rental, it's not good at all, UNLESS you like spending 6 - 12% over and above the rent when you otherwise don't have to do so. That's entirely up to you! And 6 - 12% on a $1500/wk. to $12k/week is pretty steep, IMO. Plus any fees: cleaning, pets, etc.

• User
    9 years ago

I don't find staying in someone else's house appealing at all. I agree also that the exemptions from safety requirements for hotels or inns is worrisome. At a friend's home I wouldn't worry that they don't have functioning smoke alarms, but at an air bandb, I might wonder if they can't make their mortgage payments without taking in short term boarders (which is essentially what this is) are they replacing the batteries in their alarms?

Not to mention it probably violates every lease agreement, and condominium and coop association bylaws. What responsible homeowner does that?

• robo (z6a)
    9 years ago

Many of the homeowners actually own their homes. Many condo associations are now banning airbnb, but on the other hand, many condo owners sublease their condos in various ways. And sometimes property management corporations also open up units for short term lease.

The places I've personally stayed in have all lived up to/exceeded my expectations. Staying in them is no different to me than staying at a vacation cottage. For example, one of the nicest places I stayed is a second summer home for people on the other side of the country. Another was a perfectly lovely, clean, centrally located studio in London for 90 pounds a night. At that budget I hesitate to think what kind of a hotel room I could have gotten.

This type of stay or home swapping certainly isn't for everyone. I think those who are ultimately risk-avoidant would always prefer hotels. But there is something very nice about staying at a home with things like spices and a BBQ, in a residential neighborhood, in exchange for a little risk.

• Jorge Roques
    9 years ago

Thanks robo zone 6a and tibbrix , is there a reason to why they split commission? Why not go for a "free model" for the user but with a price that has a 9-15% markup.

In the case of your example robo zone 6a, they make 3% of the $530 ($15.9) plus the actual fee of $64?

• MtnRdRedux
    9 years ago

Hi Jorge,

I thought I would chime in as the original poster. I am not sure if your question is from the perspective of a guest, a host, or simply trying to understand the entire model.

As a guest, I don't perceive Air BnB fees as high at all. For example, the NYC booking I just did was a 7% fee to Air BnB. In a city where room tax is like 14.5%, the fee didn't even cross my mind. Looking at it now, it is a bargain. I was comparing Air BnB rates to hotel rates, but forgetting that I would save 7% because the fees are much less than NYC tax.

Perhaps there are other costs or fees hidden in my room rate (and of course there is the explicit cleaning fee in my room rate). In other words, is the host overcharging in order to pay a fee or tax? I don't think the apartment we are renting is overpriced. It is hard to compare, because there is no comparable hotel suite available that is as large and has a full kitchen and an outdoor deck, for example. But I was able to compare it to a 2br suite with a kitchenette and no outdoor space. The hotel has amenities the apartment does not, of course, and less risk. All in all I think that the Air BnB space, adjusting for size, location and amenities, prices far lower, as it should , because of the risks. The fee is de minimis.

The Air BnB fees can be high on a % basis because they include short stays in low priced accommodations. Of course if someone is staying someplace for 100 a night, the fee is going to be pretty high on a % basis, just to cover the cost of doing business.

• parisgirl2
    9 years ago

Love love love airbnb! Have not used it in the states yet .. but have used it for many vacations over a 3 year period in Europe with only 1 minor bedding snafu that was remedied quickly. I would never book one that didn't already have at least a few reviews. We've done both apartments and houses ... we've done a few nights and for an entire week. It sure beats staying at a hotel. For the same price or less you have so many more amenities! Enjoy your trip! Be sure to read everything and there should be no surprises!!

• Gooster
    9 years ago

I'm not certain why AirBnB splits fees -- I can't recall if the refund policies differ as we've had so few cancellations to process.

As a consumer, I do think there is some comfort from having a large booking site with a large number of user reviews vs. a local specialists. I've tried both.

As a host, we carry extra insurance, have smoke/CO2 detectors, safety equipment, all items to code and a 24 hour on-call concierge. AirBnB does handle all payment processing, booking, and provides supplemental insurance. They also provide a professional photographer.