SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jaxhomedecor

Need to kill it all off and start over in North FL 3/4 acre, help!

Jax Home Decor
7 years ago

I inherited a lawn made up almost entirely of weeds. There are a few patches of St. Augustine grass but the blades are very few and far between. Since buying the house we have just maintained the land with water and good grooming. We have also raised two puppies and these little guys have really made a mess of the place; Huge patches of bald dirt/sand with weeds making up the remaining greenery. Now we need to rebuild, we need to have a sustainable lawn that will hold up to my pooches and will grow in this terrible soil. St. Augustine Grass is just not an option. I hate it.. you can not walk on it, its ugly and I am determined not to go that route.

We have invited several lawn companies, landscaping companies and all are in agreement that sod would be much too expensive with almost an acre of land and the best option for us is to do a 100% kill and restart from seed. We plan to section off the lawn and do this in stages.

Can I please have some recommendations from our lawn masters out there... My soil is SAND, blackish sand, fire ant mounds pop up continuously throughout the year and we treat the mounds as we go. I think we also have moles, we get these areas of soil that seem to be pushed up from under and sometimes when you walk on the soil/sand you feel like you are sinking into it. Please advise. What type of grass seed/ pasture grass and/or ground cover would you use to return this distressed area back to a walkable, decent looking green area that can hold up under use? What type of soil preparation can I do? Is it possible to buy organic matter in bulk to prepare this soil? Will I need to cover the entire lawn with fresh new topsoil? So expensive, I would love any recommendations anyone can offer. We have excellent irrigation. What would you do?

Comments (2)

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!