SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
becca_303

Please help me! Need to rip out and start over!

Becca_303
9 years ago

I have joined this website because everyone here seems to be extremely helpful. I have poured over thread after thread and website over website. As I sit here and type this, my eyes hurt from reading over as much information I can, and to be honest I am more lost than when I started. Upside, my lawn vocabulary has expanded tremendously.
I am a new homeowner and I am in way over my head.
My front yard is the laughing stock of the neighborhood. A neighbor managed to make sure I knew that the day my family moved in. From what I have read I have an infestation of weeds, crab grass(?), thick soil with many patches of hard dirt, oh and the red mulch the seller covered over all of the other weeds that they didn�t want to pull.
I would like to start over! Kill everything, rip it all out of the ground and seed myself. Before doing research I thought this seemed easy enough but after reading every thread here that may not be the case.
Option 1: RU all weeds wait 5-7 days, RU again then rake and reseed.
Option 2: RU all weeds wait 5-7 days, RU again and then till, then power rake, level, then reseed
I have read numerous times to be careful not to reawaken the weed seeds underneath and not to till because then you are sending the weeds back into the soil. There seems to be way more to all of this than I thought. I want to put in the time, money, and effort in to doing this right the first time and not redoing this later. Can you guys please help me?

Comments (12)