Spin off - special treats you only get around the holidays?
9 years ago
Featured Answer
Sort by:Oldest
Comments (62)
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
Related Discussions
So...let's talk about holiday treats!
Comments (17)Yay!!!! Cindeea and Marcia both back, hip, hip hurray! (((Hugs))) from SE Fla! And MsMarion, I owe you a big debt of gratitude! I read your post last night. Hauled out the recipe box and started reading from back to front. (My "box" being filed in chronological vs. any rational filing method.) It was a trip down memory lane. There were recipes from people I've totally forgotten, (college friends, coworkers over the years), some of my mom's recipes that I'd obviously copied in a hurry, with the additional notation in a different color, triple underlined with an exclamation point...probably when I made something that failed, called Mom, and and she told me what was missing. There were notes from canning: "Takes ALL DAY!" My favorite was "Yielded 24 quarts, but 7 were JUST JUICE!!!!!" I found the one and only recipe from my paternal Grandmother for Shrimp Salad. I'm calling Aunt Pearl tomorrow to see if she has Grandma's recipe box. And the surprise ending came at the end of my travels through the chronological recipe box. A girlfriend I've known for many years invited me to a Christmas Party on Saturday. She specially requested that I make my Chocolate Bourban Cake again, because everyone loved it. Her last party was three years ago. I responded back that I would look for the recipe, but only remembered that I made it because someone had left a pint of Jack Daniels at our annual Thanksgiving doo, but I'd be happy to bring another dessert. Aiming to please Judy, I looked through my most likely cookbooks, googled the recipe and nothing looked like the cake I remembered making. The last recipe in the box was (drumroll) The Chocolate Bourban Cake Recipe!!! And by gosh it looks like there is still 1/2 cup of that original pint of Jack Daniels in my little liquour cabinet. I'm tickled positively pink. Here's Grandma's Shrimp Salad, verbatim from the recipe card... 1 pkg spiral spagetti celery, chopped - green olives, sliced shrimp 6 eggs Dressing - 1 cup mayo, 1 cup catsup (Brooks Tangy best) It sounds horrible, doesn't it? If memory serves, (pretty sure it does) that salad was wonderful. Ya'all know to hardboil and chop those eggs, right? Grandma used canned shrimp. Isn't it grand that we don't have to use canned shrimp? Cindee, I'm gonna make those cookies, thanks so much for sharing! If anyone's interested in the Chocolate Bourban Cake recipe, I'm happy to share. Ingredients list isn't long but the method is. My only sad moment was seeing Mom's recipe for Rhubarb Custard Pie. Yum! We had a patch of Rhubarb... Thank you, thank you msmarion. Are you going to make it easy on us, or do we have to google the marshmello recipe?...See MoreOnly 2 of us for the holidays----What can we do?)))
Comments (23)Thank you all so much for the many suggestions concerning Christmas this year. To those of you that have lost loved ones and are experiencing your first holidays without them, please know that you WILL get through this just fine. I remember when my mother passed away in 1998 and having to deal with the Thanksgiving and Christmas shortly afterwards. My father at the time lived alone in a little apartment and my main focus was on him at the time. You know, make sure that daddy was taken care of, etc. Being the eldest sibling I could not dwell on "my" loss, but instead make sure everyone else (dad, brother and sister, niece) would be okay and get through the rough spots. My mother was a doll artisan and had owned a studio in the midwest, leaving behind LOTS of beautiful porcelain dolls which I had inherited. Since brother and sister were coming over with dad and my niece I came up with an idea. We no longer had mom with us, but we had the dolls and she had put so much of herself into her work, sooooooo....I decided to wrap up one for each family member in large sized gift bags and chose someone to mix up the bags and place them near the front door in a row. Before we started unwrapping gifts, I sent one person at a time into the room and asked that they pick out a prezzie "from momma". Afterwards we lit a small candle, held hands and told her how much she was missed, followed by a simple prayer. I will never forget this as it really, REALLY helped get us through and everyone left with a little token of remembrance and the feeling that mom was there with us as we celebrated her favorite holiday. Now, on another note-----There's been a change in plans for the holidays! LOL! I received a phone call a couple of nights ago from my niece in Texas and it seems her fiance' purchased a bus ticket for her as a gift to come out and stay an entire month! She called to ask if it would be alright before actually completing her purchase online. How could I refuse? Her mother living in the same town (the sister I mentioned that was not celebrating at all this year is still sticking to her guns supposedly) and we will be taking her daughter in for a month. Sounds strange I know! I had had time after pondering over the many suggestions here on the board to talk to DH about getting away for the holidays even if only overnight and starting new traditions. He seemed rather receptive to the idea, but now it's changed again since niece will be coming...lol. So rather than leaving our home, we will just have an open door policy in effect. Whoever chooses to come celebrate is more than welcome to do so=)..=) The tree will be going up this week after DH helps me move furniture, etc. and dad's bedroom now will be turned into a guest room (this forces me to get busy and make some much needed changes rather quickly). Sorry this post is so long, but also need to make another comment before I forget-----Someone posted a reply here about losing her mother and spending the holidays with her father in the house that reminded her so much of when her mom was alive, so tried to create new traditions (playing Scrabble, etc.). On this note-----I know exactly the feeling you are referring to because the house my DH and I presently live in was purchased by my father and he lived here with us for the past 2 and 1/2 years up until he passed on Thanksgiving Day 2006 at home. His bedroom was dad's little private retreat and everyone knew pretty much to ask permission before entering even to clean, etc. Since his passing the room has been locked up and not used. There are so many reminders here in this house of my dad that sis feels strange coming over to visit, in fact she has only been here maybe once since then. It's going to be rather awkward for my niece to sleep in that room while a lot of dad's belongings are scattered about, so now I have to drastically make changes before her arrival. Don't have time to paint and do a major overhaul, but any suggestions as to where I might start? Other than the usual.....box up whatever belonged to dad and.....? OMG.......why do I panic over everything? LOL? ACK!@!...See MoreSpin-off of the teen girl/weight/eating thread . . .
Comments (32)It sounds to me that your husband's comment was less about YOU and more about how to get the most out of your exercising. I say that because he suggested P90x, which is the dvd set that is often thought to be the "gold" standard that gets excellent results (or in your husband's words, whistle inducing results). You responded that you were too old for the whistles, and your husband basically said that age doesn't matter if the body is "perfect." Maybe it was his use of perfect that offended, but I would take his comments more just to mean that if you are serious about exercising, why waste your time on the lesser exercise systems--and instead just go for the gold....See MoreDo you drive around for specials?
Comments (74)I see bag bans as feel good legislation. Like others have said people still litter. Actually see people toss the bags they have just purchased in the parking lot. Why pay for a bag to take to your vehicle and then leave it behind on the ground? Litter is a huge issue to me. The same stores that require one to purchase a bag (for the environment) don't seem to take the time or bother to empty their trash receptacles outside their doors. They are always overflowing with trash scattered about them. In the wee hours crews come through with leaf blowers and a vacuum truck. By the time the store opens the parking lots are already littered again. Shopping carts seem to be never washed. Many "shoppers" uses them as trash bin while they stuff their and their kids faces. What they can't take one hour to shop without drinking and eating? The kids some as 10 ride in the food area of the cart. With dirty clothes and shoes. Same people don't allow shoes in their homes but they are fine with shoes in the food cart. We don't have a bag problem. We have a PIG problem. Self-centered, self-entitled people who have zero respect for the others around them. Snidely and I live in the same general area if not the same city. Our county is a pigsty. Litter and discards along all the main roadways. Now we also have homeless encampments encroaching on the suburbs. Piles of trash and, mattresses, old sofas etc. right at the roadside. But out elected officials are too busy trying to figure out what their next ban should be over fixing the existing problems. We are supposed to be proud to have the strictest bag ban in the state. However our once potentially beautiful city looks like a third world country with its litter problem. No one addresses the blight....See More- 9 years agolast modified: 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years agolast modified: 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years agolast modified: 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years agolast modified: 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years agolast modified: 9 years ago
- 9 years agolast modified: 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
Related Stories

HOLIDAYSFeast Your Eyes on Holiday Dishes Around the World
See traditional Christmas and New Year’s favorites from different countries, along with festive holiday table decor
Full Story
HOLIDAYSHow to Get Your Home Back in Shape After the Holidays
Putting your home in order can be a great way to transition from the holiday season to a fresh new year
Full Story
HOLIDAYSHoliday DIY: Get Wrapped Up in These Geometric Star Paper Crafts
No glue required: Just a ball of string and some cardboard are all you need to get started making a garland or gift tag
Full Story
KITCHEN DESIGNGet Organized for Holiday Baking
Before you crack that first egg, establish a game plan for stress-free success
Full Story
HOLIDAYS24 Simple Pleasures and Treats for Your Holiday Countdown
Cozy up by the fire with a hot drink and enjoy these ideas for savoring the season
Full Story
ENTERTAINING10 Ways to Get Your Kitchen Ready for the Holidays
No need to get nervous about your big holiday party — with a little prep, the get-together will be a breeze
Full Story
KITCHEN DESIGNGet Your Kitchen ‘Bake Off’ Ready
Make it easy to whip up a cake or a batch of cookies with these tips for organizing your space
Full Story
FEEL-GOOD HOMEKick Off Your New Year With a ‘Get It Done’ Day
Cross a bunch of small tasks off your list — or choose just one quick-ish fix — for a feel-good start to the year
Full Story
MOTHER’S DAYWhat to Do for Mom Around the House on Mother’s Day
Show appreciation for your mother and make her day extra special with these ideas
Full Story
HOLIDAYS10 Things to Enhance Your Powder Room for the Holidays or Anytime
Treat yourself and your guests to one of these special touches for the powder room
Full Story

Lindsey_CA