SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
srb2398061

Flare-up of my "dish addiction"

Anglophilia
7 years ago

What on earth was I thinking? Every Christmas Eve, we have raw oysters on the half shell in the LR before dinner. I bought a Smith & Hawken copper-look boot tray that we use to put the ice and the oysters on. I have sterling oyster forks, and I put small ramekins of vinaigrette in the ice. We all gather around the coffee table (which is cleared for the tray), and slurp down oysters and drink Veuve Cliquot champagne. Utterly decadent and delicious.

But I've always wanted oyster plates. I really wanted plain white limoges plates, rimmed in gold - they're out there on eBay etc but far too pricey. So, I saw a set of 8 white pottery ones that were simple and affordable. I hit "buy it now" and they arrived today.

They're quite attractive but I now realize that it will be impossible to hold them on our laps and eat them - some liquid is destained to spill on the linen velvet sofa or on a linen chair, or the oriental rug. So, do we now have them as a first course at the dining table? They're a bit too "casual" for my table but I guess I could use them there. I unpacked them and then realized that I am full-up on dish storage. I am the dishes queen and won't even admit to how many I have. They will have to go to the basement cabinet where vases for flower arranging live ( and my pie basket - one of my favorite things!).

Geeze, buying them was a stupid thing to do! What was I thinking? I need a keeper...

Comments (10)