SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
drrich2

Where should soil level be on this root flare?

12 years ago

Hi:

Recently ordered a Blackgum from Sooner Farms, in a 'Smart Pot' (supposed to discourage girdling, though I found one fairly large root that'd looped around, and had to get rid of it). Just ordered a 'plain old' Blackgum, since the cultivar I had my eye on was sold out (at least in the Smart Pot version, which I wanted to maximize root system since this tree has a rep. for being slow growing).

So imagine my surprise with this tree, which has beautiful reddish new foliage (it's my understanding the regular species is solid green from the get go?), and it's obviously got a graft union. Looks like I got a desirable cultivar for the regular species price!

Thing is, digging into the root ball to expose the root flair, I got this strange-looking flare. The roots head down, not out laterally like I expected. I've already planted it, but I'd like to get your thoughts. I'm wondering whether I need to build the dirt up around the base a bit. (Ignore the tree beside it; that a small Sugar Maple that's dysfunctional, perhaps from being planted too deep, that I'm getting rid of).

{{gwi:345793}}

(That little black Pug is the mighty Woo).

{{gwi:345794}}

{{gwi:345795}}

{{gwi:345796}}

{{gwi:345797}}

I'm kind of at a loss for how high up the root flair to come with the dirt!

Richard.

Comments (3)