SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sleeperblues

Really sad today, adopted Cujo

sleeperblues
7 years ago

A couple of months ago I adopted a dog from a nearby shelter. He has been aggressive from the start, but I thought things were getting better. I have 2 other dogs, and he has attacked them several times and I have gotten bitten 3 times separating them. The attacks have gotten less, so I thought my training was kicking in. So, I had to travel to the Chicago area because my 84 year old Mom just got out of the hospital with a UTI and pneumonia and needs help. I had to bring all 3 dogs because DH will be hunting and unable to watch him. He was on my Mom's hospital bed and I didn't want him up there, so I told him down and he growled at me. I reached for his collar and he attacked me and bit my arm pretty good. I finally coaxed him down by saying let's go for a walk, and put him in the kennel, where he growled at me with bared teeth. This morning when I came downstairs he growled at me, but let me put him on a leash to go out and then I fed him. He is not growling at me now, but I am terrified of him now and he knows it. I need to get rid of this dog, but it is a 7 hour drive to the kennel I got him from, and I need to care for my Mom. My question is: Do you think a no kill shelter will take an aggressive dog, or should he be put down? Could there be hope for him in a home with no other dogs? If I have to keep him this week, should I sedate him? No way could I get a muzzle on him, but it's something I thought of.

I should let you know that I went through a rigorous process from the shelter I adopted him from. We did a meet and greet with my dogs and he did fine. They did a thorough background check on me, also. He was a stray and I honestly don't think they knew he was aggressive, so I am not blaming them.

Comments (48)