SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chisue

In Case You Thought Trump Has Changed...

chisue
7 years ago

...he's selected Steve Bannon to implement his alt-right plans. Yuck!

Comments (96)

• adellabedella_usa
    7 years ago

The National Enquirer always has silly stuff. I don't buy it, but get a laugh walking through the checkout line. Sometimes they get a real news story, when the supposedly legitimate newspapers won't take it. When they have a real news story, it is usually promoted elsewhere before it hits the stands.

The job of the real journalists is to report the news and not make it. The 'real' news sources haven't been following that standard. I suspect some of the highly informed possibly aren't as informed as they think they are. The last election was a demonstration of that.

The Klan probably represents less than 1% of all people. I know they don't represent me or my beliefs. There most likely other racist groups backing Hillary. Hillary had her "Hookers for Hillary". I don't think most people who voted for Hillary would appreciate being classified as "prostitutes" or worse just because they voted for Hillary.

• sjerin
    7 years ago

The teeny tiny silver lining to this catastrophe is that hopefully, hopefully there will now be more questioning of "facts" by those who blindly believed.

Adella, though the kkk doesn't have a huge open following, they are feeling much more free to spout their hateful rhetoric, knowing there will be no repercussions and that those who harbor similar feelings will come out of the shadows. Your last sentence is ridiculous; feel free to call me a hooker if you want! Who cares what these ladies do for a living? What they do is not hurtful, disparaging and just flat-out evil, unlike the k's.

• Related Discussions

You know your gardening attitude has changed when .........

Q

Comments (15)
    I read your post with interest. I think I share some of those sentiments. If you really were just joking, then ignore me. I sometimes misinterpret the subtle humour expressed. I was surprised you didn't get more responses. I've been thinking about your points. Anyway, here's my take: 1. Downsizing is definitely on my mind, in the garden and indoors. I've been looking around the house at all my houseplants and realizing I have far too many. They are starting to annoy me. 2. The thought has occurred to me that I do pass up opportunities to travel, because no one would be here to care for my garden. Spring travel would be difficult because I have seedlings started. Fall travel is difficult because there's so much to do to prepare the garden for winter. I hate the idea of winter travel. So what's left? 3. There have been times in the spring, when I work from morning till night in the yard and realize that no one else in their right mind would want to work like that. Yes I have created a monster. 4. Yes, painkillers are required. 5. I am not a collector of any one species of plant. I'm more of a general collector. I have a hard time being selective. So I have too many types of plant to work with. 6. Yes, I agree, all daylilies look alike. 7. Don't have bamboo, so can't comment on that. 8. I am certainly happy to dig up and share almost anything in my yard. 9. I love visiting garden centres, but seldom buy anything. I know the amount of time I spend on garden.web is excessive. There are times when I honestly feel I could just walk away from my garden and not care. I'm starting to think more along the lines of low maintenance shrubs, but haven't taken the plunge yet. So am I just suffering from a case of the blahs, or is it time for a serious change in gardening attitude?
    ...See More

yard changing....new garage and have second thoughts

Q

Comments (15)
    memo and gldno1, thanks for the vote of confidence. Yes, we will be very glad to get the storage and stuff "out of sight"! irene, we are actually building it a little different than the picture shows on that side. We are planning to have a stairway on the outside up to the balcony. To eliminate one long stairway and the room it would take, we will be doing a partial stair going toward the little shed, then a landing and then the remainder of the stair in the oposite direction leading into the far end of the balcony. Does that make sense? Also we are thinking of moving the dormer closer to the front end of the garage, which would be off center, but as the small shed will be at the far end of the garage, the dormer would end up centered between the shed and the porch on the house. Again, does this make sense visually to you? Thinman, yes, the house is considerably wider. We had considered the 10/12 pitch too and drew it up both ways. In fact DH is going to measure the height of the peak of the house this weekend to see what it actually is. Your calculations were almost the same as what the builder gave us. Our thoughts were the additional 1 1/2 +/- feet of total peak height was not that important, but the headroom at the side was. With the steeper pitch, we would not have to cut the inside stairway up to the second floor quite as short with the landing and turning the final part of stairway for head room.
    ...See More

Just in case you missed it - MTPS change of venue

Q

Comments (3)
    That's funny because I had a dream last night that several people showed up at Jan & Jim's and weren't too happy!
    ...See More

Has induction changed how you use other appliances?

Q

Comments (7)
    I'm imagining a ferrous tupperware-type product so you can store, heat and serve your leftovers on your induction cooktop in the same container... it comes with plastic lids for sealing in the fridge, and metal or glass for heating. Maybe Corning will make a ferrous line of French White? We're also looking at an Advantium. I think we would use it a lot as a speedcook oven, so I've been wondering if I would be annoyed that I don't have a microwave available during those times. But it sounds like my induction cooktop will pick up some of the micro usage. I am loving all of these new technologies (or in the case of induction - reintroduced technology). It's a great time to be planning a kitchen remodel!
    ...See More
  • bry911
    7 years ago

@ adellabedella_usa

I accept that many of the traditional news outlets are biased but you can't fight one biased source with an opposing bias. You just end up with garbage. You might try foreign news outlets, they tend to be more neutral.

As a side note:

For the longest time I thought Infowars (the site you linked) was a particularly unsubtle nod to Poe's Law. I mean 9/11 and Sandy Hook were conspiracies is tame compared to the ideas of government created tsunamis and government controlled tornadoes and those are by no means the most extreme Infowars stories.

• User
    7 years ago

Why are you posting things as truth that you know isn't true, adellabedella? That is so irresponsible. You do just as much harm to our democracy when you post right wing conspiracies as do the anarchists who destroy property. Both want to create fear and anger. What you post causes distrust of our institutions and ruins the lives of innocent people. It makes you look foolish too.

• adellabedella_usa
    7 years ago

sjern, The Hookers for Hillary are actually legal workers and have health standards, unlike many in that profession. It's not considered a respectable profession by most although it is probably a more honest profession than some like politician.

The point is stereotyping people and calling them demeaning things like 'racist' or 'low informed' or 'deplorables' because they voted a certain way demonstrates ignorance and deliberate closed mindedness in its own way.

• sjerin
    7 years ago

The person for whom you presumably voted has said some terrible things. If it walks, talks and acts like a duck, it's a duck. How anyone can merrily overlook such nastiness and vote for said person is beyond me. When one doesn't speak up about bad behavior, especially concerning a presidential candidate, s/he is condoning that behavior.

• adellabedella_usa
    7 years ago

Mayflowers, I posted what I did because there is another possibility out there. I don't know what the numbers are and what the effect was. We may never know. I've come across the topic a few times in the last several weeks. This was that writer's assessment. I quoted his number. You're free to reject or accept as you like.

• adellabedella_usa
    7 years ago

Sjerin, These were two of the weakest candidates that we have ever had. Hillary has been in politics for over 30 years. A a kid growing up as Arkansas, I've had my lifetime fill of her. I find her corrupt and incompetent. She was my most disliked candidate. Trump was the other person left. I don't agree with everything he says or does. I like that he is not a politician and not promising us more of the same.

• User
    7 years ago

Adellabedella, you posted it as FACT. Now you've removed your post. There is only one version of a fact and it sure as heck isn't on a conspiracy website.

• User
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

How did the illegals vote? I don't read Infowars so tell me how 3 million accomplished an illegal vote. Or any number for that matter.

• lily316
    7 years ago

Hillary is not perfect but she is smart ,experienced, and capable. Trump is a sexist, racist, misogynist, and really extremely DUMB when it comes to anything besides how to bilk people out of money and declare a gazillion bankruptcies and of course...LIE about everything he has been told he said ( on video)

• User
    7 years ago

VoteStand, who reported 3 million illegals voted, is a mobile app! This is the app that Roger Stone's organization set up to report "suspicious" activities at the polls. Roger Stone, a frequent guest on Infowars, is a longtime friend of Trump's. His poll watching plans were blocked as illegal intimidation of voters. He plays very dirty politics himself--google him. Every story about this so-called illegal voting is carried on right wing blogs only!

Why do conservatives believe these conspiracy theories? Are you naturally suspicious people? The information is easy to find. Blogs are not reliable news sources.

• adellabedella_usa
    7 years ago

I did not remove my post.

• User
    7 years ago

The reason the 3 million illegal vote lie is being pushed is because Trump lost the popular vote. As a narcissist, he can't stand the idea and he is obsessing about it. Our president-elect is tweeting about losing the popular vote! Doesn't he have better things to do? The ego always gets in his way.

• User
    7 years ago

Okay, I found the post. I didn't scroll back far enough, thinking it was a more recent post.

• dchall_san_antonio
    7 years ago

I have skipped over the comments, so maybe someone else remembered the past and posted it. When President Obama took office, he appointed communists as his secretaries. We republicans recognized the new president to have strong communist ties before the election. We fully expected him to do what he did. Would there be any reason to think Trump would not remain true to his beliefs?

• sjerin
    7 years ago

Thanks for the laugh, dchall!

• olychick
    7 years ago

"I like that he is not a politician and not promising us more of the same."

Unfortunately, it's a job in politics...not hiring a politician (or at least someone with experience in politics - oops, that's a politician) is like saying "I don't want to hire a surgeon to perform my operation, I'll get the kid at McDonald's to do it."

He's not promising us more of the same; he's promising us so, so much worse

• lily316
    7 years ago

My husband said tonight that he and my daughter are way more qualified to be president than Trump. My husband spent his working life in state government, and my daughter has a very high position in state politics as well and has many people who report to her. Would you go to the guy at the gas station to remove your brain tumor?

• sleeperblues
    7 years ago

How did the illegals vote? I'll relay to you a little story I heard from a fine, upstanding surgeon I work with. During the last election he went to vote. The community he lives in has a Jennie O turkey processing plant in which many Somali refugees work. That's a whole other story, regarding the increase in crime and gang violence associated with these immigrants-things I have witness personally. He witnessed a long line of non-English speaking immigrants with an interpreter being shown how to vote. The only thing they had to show in order to vote was some kind of a utility bill showing their address. I'm not saying these people were voting illegally, but it raises the question of citizenship and how voter fraud might occur.

• socks
    7 years ago

Oly, right! Change, oh yeah, were gonna have change!

Obama had a steep learning curve but had the intelligence to navigate that minefield. DT doesn't have that intellectual ability. I observed him miss many opportunities during the debates.

I feel uncomfortable about his clinging to his family. I would like to believe his son-in- law could be a stabilizing, smart guide for him, but he was involved over the past year which was crazy.

Small issue, I guess--what an outrage he does not want to live in the White House. Does he think this is a -part-time job?????

Over half the country is worried sick. The others should be as well.

• mamapinky0
    7 years ago

What kind of lifestyle do you suppose Trump will have when he's not living in the White House. ...Business or pleasure. Will our country be put on Hold while he parties it up...I suppose we will find out soon enough.

• User
    7 years ago

So, sleeperblues, you are talking about Minnesota. Here is Minnesota's voter requirements. Note that a photo ID is required along with the utility bill. So they do have to show proof of citizenship to register. They have to show a photo ID to vote. I'm not sure why they need to show a utility bill unless there's no address on their photo ID. So I don't see how they could vote if they weren't citizens.

By your doctor friend sharing that little story, he feeds into the hysteria that illegals are voting, and in the millions.

Only individuals who are registering to vote at their precinct on Election Day should be asked to show ID. Acceptable proof of identification includes:

• A government-issued ID with the voter’s current name and address
    • A photo ID AND a document with the voter’s name and address.
      • The acceptable documents to demonstrate the voter’s name and address (which must be provided ALONG with one of the above photo IDs) are:
        • A bill, account statement or start of service statement due or dated within 30 days of the election for: phone service (landline, cell, VOIP, etc.); TV (cable, satellite, etc.); Internet service; solid waste or sewer services; electric; gas; water; banking or credit card; or rent or mortgage payments
        • Residential lease or rental agreement that is valid through Election Day
        • Current student fee statement
  • mama goose_gw zn6OH
    7 years ago

I suspect that the First Lady-elect does not want to move to DC, and saying that they will live in the White House part-time is Donald Trump's way of smoothing those troubled waters. (Notice I didn't refer to her as 'Mrs.T.' in the same fashion as he referred to our First Lady as 'Mrs.O'--as if he was a kid, and Michelle Obama was the mother of a friend. Foolish.) His minor son might not want to leave his friends and school, either, so I wonder if that's a factor.

Trump seems to be working on a Kennedy-esque political dynasty, but since none of them has any experience in political or military service, they have to make up for lost time...and service. Someone on Trump's team commented that at this time in his life he wants to devote his life to serving our country. But not actually in our country's capital?

I have to admit that I am not usually as interested in--or as worried about-- politics in this country. My preferred candidate hasn't always won the election, but I feel that everyone who has been elected was a decent person, with some experience in the political arena. Not so with Trump, and I can't imagine the President not living full time in the White House. I saw on MSN/MSNBC this morning that he is in residence at Trump Towers, while Mike Pence is in DC--maybe a portent of things to come.

• mamapinky0
    7 years ago

Trumps minor son very well may not want to leave his school, friends, home....I'm sure this is what happens with children in this position..still as a US President...Trump should live in the White House, he won't be running a business he will be running a country, FULL TIME.. 24hours a day...I don't see this working for 4 years. LOL.

• User
    7 years ago

Snopes has now investigated the rumor of 3 million illegal votes. It has spread from one right wing blog to another. These bloggers are not stupid people and don't believe the stuff they write. But what does it say about their opinion of YOU that they know you will believe their lies? You are useful tools of the right wing.

http://www.snopes.com/three-million-votes-in-presidential-election-cast-by-illegal-aliens/

• Michael
    7 years ago

I doubt that any president in our era has ever worked from the White House 24 hours a day. A president can make decisions from the 9th hole if need be. And I'm sure many of them have.

• chisue
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Very informative thread. I've learned that one person here posts as fact the misinformation she gleans from some alt-right publication or other "post truth" blog.

I'm surprised to see another forum regular pass on second hand 'information' about "illegals" being able to *vote*. (Looked like *registration* requirements to me -- which require one to prove *citizenship* as well as residence in the district.) Are you saying that whole Board of Elections is bent?

Abandon hope, ye who believed Trump's lies about instituting government control of drug prices. Eli Lily is VP-elect Pence's third largest campaign fund contributor.

There is No Way Trump's business interests can be excluded from sensitive knowledge that a President is privy to. His family might as well be invited to policy briefings; it would save him having to repeat all that information. (Free up time for petulant tweets!)

• lucillle
    7 years ago

"Would you go to the guy at the gas station to remove your brain tumor?"

A great start to a new thread, don't want to hijack this one. Considering the huge deductibles many have, I am sure that an underground cash and carry medical system will develop over time, and it may be that there won't be a lot of licensed folks in that system.

• pattico_gw
    7 years ago

GO....TRUMP....!

• adellabedella_usa
    7 years ago

Chi Sue, your last post made me laugh. The majority of these stories are someone's opinion. We should all know by now that numbers can be manipulated one way or another. I found the story on a legitimate website that was right leaning, but not right nut. You're free to accept or reject whatever you like. I happen to think there is a nugget of truth buried in there based on what I saw before the election and that is why I posted the story. Snopes doesn't accept the story based on lack of release of information, but I'm curious to see if someone credible comes forward with something more substantive on and settles the debate once and for all. Maybe no one cares anymore since the election is over.

• User
    7 years ago

Most of these conservative blog posts only take common sense to see they're bogus. I showed you the source of the rumor, adellabedella, and it's not credible. If you found the rumor on a credible website, you should have posted that instead of Infowars. The fact is there is no credible website reporting that 3 million illegals voted. Just like there is no credible source that protesters were bused in. I know for a fact no one was bused into Portland and that's where the worst of the protests occurred.

Yes, I can accept or reject, as I know how to find the source material. But there are many people who can't tell fact from fiction or who might believe their friend or family member who tell them untruths. Don't you feel ashamed for lying to your friends on the Kitchen Table?

• murraysmom Zone 6a OH
    7 years ago

I take most everything purporting to be "news" or "facts" on the internet with a ton of salt. If ever there was a time to be skeptical of these mostly outrageous "stories", it's now. I have seen postings on Facebook that the poster knows to be a lie, but posts anyway for "fun". It's not fun to me because as you said Mayflowers, there are many people who believe everything they read.

• chisue
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Truth *always* matters. Too bad Twitter and Google are too late to police the blatant misinformation their sites helped spread.

• bry911
    7 years ago

I found the story on a legitimate website that was right leaning, but not right nut.

Some of the "news" from your "not right nut" source.

1. Hillary Clinton Assassinated Vince Foster and Antonin Scalia
    2. Pope Francis is ‘the Antichrist’
    3. Sandy Hook was a government conspiracy
    4. 9/11 was a government conspiracy
    5. The government has the ability to control tornadoes and is using it to destroy our property.
    6. They often have stories about the New World Order which control the government
    7. The Jewish mafia controls our healthcare
    8. Hillary Clinton is an actually a demon (she smells like sulfur)
    9. The Boston bombing was a False Flag event (like Sandy Hook and 9/11)

As someone who works with statistics and data, I never trust a claim that is vague about the evidence and methodology. The first thing I do when I hear a result before the support is start looking at the researcher to see his bias and when his claim matches his bias it usually means they are playing with the data to get the desired result. We don't know whether or not illegals voted, I feel confident that some probably did, but I doubt it was a number that had any real effect.

Finally, we should note that the most commonly detected voter fraud is multiple votes. This happens most often when people who own property in two different areas get ID's and become registered in both areas. Whether they intended to commit voter fraud or not they will get a polling place in one county and an absentee ballot from another and utilize both. These voters are significantly more likely to be republican. However, not to worry because like illegal immigrants they probably don't have a material effect on elections.

• Alisande
    7 years ago

Two comments:

I wish the media would stop using the terms "white nationalists" and "alt-right," and go back to calling them white supremacists. "Nationalists" sounds patriotic, and "alt-right" sounds benign, while "white supremacists" sounds alarming--and alarm is appropriate.

Hillary is now 1.7 million votes ahead of Trump.

• chisue
    Original Author
    7 years ago

This president-elect is too special to live in the White House. It has to be remodeled to his specifications before he'll live there, and his wife and child won't live there anytime soon. He's too special to have the press cover his activities or to hold press conferences. He plans to 'release videos.

• wanda_va
    7 years ago

chisue, I heard Trump say in an interview that the White House is beautiful and historic, and he wouldn't make any changes to it. I also heard that Melania and Barron will remain in New York until Barron finishes his school year. That makes sense to me--Barron is going to have enough changes to his life that I can understand his wanting to remain with his familiar classmates for the remainder of the year. That doesn't mean that the family won't spend time together.

• chisue
    Original Author
    7 years ago

OTHER presidents and their wives and children moved in.

Aside from that, Trump and his wife remaining in NYC is a big problem for people who are trying to live their lives around the protection required.

• Alisande
    7 years ago

I used to live two blocks from Trump Tower, and I can't imagine what Midtown residents are going through with this disruption. Parts of Fifth Avenue closed? Guards in SWAT gear at the entrance to your building? And what about your dinner guests . . . will they be frisked? Also, the Trumps live in the top three floors of a glass building; will the Secret Service have to patrol the skies?

Oh, and it's costing taxpayers $1 million a day to watch over the Trumps in NYC. Since he's so averse to following traditions, I can think of one tradition we might want to think about eliminating.

• Chi
    7 years ago

And he had the nerve to criticize Obama's vacation spending, lol.

• lily316
    7 years ago

And the right complained about Obama's vacations when it will be a million or more a day to protect the Tower. Those poor people in mid town. They already hate him. Only 10% of NYC voted for him and that was mostly Staten Island.

• User
    7 years ago

I cannot think of a time when I was this concerned about a president elect.Sure there have been elections I didn't agree with, that's life. But this is different. So much is unknown about this president elect. I'm not confident that he will be held to the same standards as presidents before him. He seems to be making his own rules as he goes.

• Annegriet
    7 years ago

Freedom of the press is in serious danger. Without it, we cease to be a democracy. Even if you voted for Trump, you should be calling him out on this issue. Hold our president-elect accountable.

We are so distracted by his stupid tweets that we are not looking at his shady business dealings, his ties with Russia ad the rise of white supremacism and anti-semitism in the greatest democracy the world has ever known.

• User
    7 years ago

I agree Annegriet.

• socks
    7 years ago

Chisue and most others, I share your anxiety.

It's just crazy that a man in his position is tweeting on petty things. At least Pence handled the Hamilton event with maturity. Even he must be horrified at DT's childish behavior.

What can we do, what can we do? Here's a link to NY Times 12-step plan; even if you don't like every suggestion, maybe 1 or 2 will ring true. Personally, I think it's important to support environmental and civil rights organizations. Even a very small donation sends a message of support.

Hope the link works.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/17/opinion/a-12-step-program-for-responding-to-president-elect-trump.html

• chisue
    Original Author
    7 years ago

When you hear about a Trump tweet, look immediately to see what that is intended to distract you from noticing. Lots of media about the "Hamilton" tweet from Trump. Almost nothing about his 'university' scam settlement that was REAL news at the same time.

socks -- Read it. Thank you. We each have to commit to DO SOMETHING. (Small is fine; just do it!)

• lily316
    7 years ago

Five Hamilton tweets, three SNL tweets and none of the neo-nazis yelling Heil Trump a block from the White house yesterday. Something's definitely wrong with him mentally.

• blfenton
    7 years ago

He must be apoplectic today because Lorne Michaels (Cdn), who is the creator of SNL received the Medal Of Freedom from President Obama yesterday.

• gregbradley
    7 years ago

We were basically screwed by a system that had two completely unacceptable people running for president and one of those idiot/criminals was going to be elected. Almost think we should have had a choice of "none of the above" and kept the current idiot/criminal.

Sponsored
Fourteen Thirty Renovation, LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Professional Remodelers in Franklin County Specializing Kitchen & Bath