Houzz Logo Print
hobbitmom

eggs, glorious eggs

last month

We had mushroom, onion, and cheese omelettes for dinner tonight, and they were awesome. Even better with a new shredded cheese offered by my local "Supremo Chihuahu" super flavorful, and melts wonderfully.

I doubt much controversy will be stirred by an ode to eggs.

I love quiche, with all manner of stuff, but whatever I would plan thusly, will need to translate to omelettes during the hot summer months. Works fine, no problem.

Consider:

A fried egg sandwich. well done, wheat bread and mayo.

Egg salad sandwich with mayo and salt/pepper, and a bit of curry powder to liven things up.

Deviled eggs. Lightly seasoned, mayo, mustard.

Boiled potatoes, eggs, and sausage, maybe some hot sauce. sour cream.

Breakfast burrito with eggs, cheese, chilies, flour tortilla, hot sauce, sour cream.

Potato/egg salad with mayo, dijon mustard, celery, onion, white wine vinegar.

Eggs, over easy, hash browns, heavily buttered toast.

Eggs benedict or eggs florentine on english muffins with hollandaise sauce, sprinkled with paprika.

Eggs are awesome.

What are your favorite ways to have eggs?

Comments (45)

  • last month

    I'm not a huge fan of eggs, but they are extremely versatile. I don't mind an occasional baked egg dish or egg salad, but I avoid preparations that result in runny or floppy eggs.

    hobbitmom thanked Fun2BHere
  • last month

    I have to start with bacon, egg and cheese on a roll because I’m from Long Island and that’s what we do. Properly, the roll is a hard roll which I would describe as a Kaiser roll with a more crisp crust.

    I love French eggs, though I’m not sure if I do them right. Scrambled, butter, constant stirring so creamy, finished with a dollop of creme fraich?

    Egg nog!

    Poached. Once I finally figured out to make them, I love them. I typically serve one atop my bastardized version of goetta. Or on avocado toast.

    But this thread has me seeing egg salad in my near future. Light mayo, dijon, capers, blsck pepper. That’s good enough for me!

    hobbitmom thanked foodonastump
  • Related Discussions

    Eggs, eggs, and more eggs!

    Q

    Comments (5)
    Thanks Sandy! I know where there is some... but it may not be enough. My sister just moved back to Jenks from Ft Worth and I found some in a field near her new house and also growing along side the road... though I'm not sure exactly what variety it is. I'm thinking maybe green? The flowers were very greenish with the slightest hint of pink. But again, that may not be enough, so I'll definitely take you up on that knowledge when the time comes! ~Laura
    ...See More

    good egg? bad egg?

    Q

    Comments (4)
    Dody, Many insect eggs look alike and it can be very hard to distinguish one type from another. If you really want to know, pluck the leaf, put it in a jar with air holes punched in the lid, and see what hatches. If they are lady beetle eggs, you'll have little grayish larvae that look sort of like tiny alligators. They do not look at all like lady beetles at this point. If they are caterpillars of any kind, that's bad news for your broccoli and other cole crops! Dawn
    ...See More

    5 blue eggs and 2 tan/brown spotted eggs ! 7 TOTAL!!

    Q

    Comments (3)
    I would take those two cowbird eggs and shake the heck out of them to make sure they don't hatch, then put them back. The cowbird will check to see if her eggs are still there and if not may damage some of the blues eggs. Donna
    ...See More

    Do you have egg cups? Do you use egg cups?

    Q

    Comments (59)
    Be careful Jinx, next thing you know you will want an egg coddler . . . We had the cups when I was a kid but I have decided I don't really like the process so I can't justify the storage space they would take up. I did inherit a little gizmo to "poach" an egg in the microwave. It's very fast and the egg comes out perfectly round. I use it to make egg sandwiches on an english muffin. I thought I would not like it but it has worked out well in use.
    ...See More
  • last month

    A veggie omelet with red peppers, red onion, mushrooms, and spinach. Top with cheddar. And, that someone else cooks for me.

    hobbitmom thanked KW PNW Z8
  • last month

    @KW PNW Z8 I went out to breakfast with my grandson and that's EXACTLY what I had! And someone else cooked it! Yummy, for sure.

    hobbitmom thanked Olychick
  • last month
    last modified: last month

    FOAS, sadly, you do have to explain what a hard roll is to someone on the west coast. Do you get them with poppy seeds or without?

    Signed, a girl from NY who has been missing hard rolls since moving to the west coast in 1981.

    hobbitmom thanked Eileen
  • last month

    I prefer poppy. Somehow the experience seems incomplete to me if I’m not brushing crust off my shirt and picking a poppy seed out of my teeth.

    hobbitmom thanked foodonastump
  • last month

    I like fried eggs and egg drop soup, husband likes scrambled eggs.

    hobbitmom thanked pekemom
  • last month
    last modified: last month

    I like my eggs from pastured chickens who get to scratch and peck. And one particular farm's are the best of the best.

    Oh. You meant preparation. I almost always have a little dish of hard boiled for grab and goes, but they're also good just sliced in a cheese sandwich with arugula. For me, the egg salad has to be cubes, because my father made my lunches that way. For most things, like sausage or chicken for salad I like torn better because of the greater exposure and flavor perception, but eggs taste like eggs however they're cut and the delightful little cubes feel interesting on the tongue, besides the nostalgia. Then there are eggs in egg sauce: Mayonnaise to bearnaise, hollandaise to aioli to carbonara to gribiche, eggs are good with egg sauce. :) Or a good Denver omelette with a good sharp cheddar. Meringues. All that Passover baking held up by eggs. My favorite scramble is pan style, where you crack the eggs into a heated and oiled pan, and stir, but just for me, I'm more likely to fry them sunny side up. Some white bits, some gooey, some stiff. Herbs and milk optional. My great-aunt's "one egg noodles". Classic flour volcano with the egg cracked in the middle, worried with a fork until it's all combined. Rolled thin, folded, sliced crossways then shaken out. Perfect for soup.

    hobbitmom thanked plllog
  • last month

    I have the same panini sandwich every day. Good organic SUPER bread from Traders, a swipe of Brie, two slices of mozzarella, a hard-boiled egg sliced, half an avocado, two more slices of mozzarella, and four minutes in the panini. Yum!

    hobbitmom thanked lily316
  • last month
    last modified: last month

    Although we buy only local free range eggs, I'm not a big fan. I like poached or freshly scrambled on toast but rarely have the latter because of the amount of butter required. I would never choose the vile rubbery muck that's been sitting under lights in a hotel buffet. I really don't enjoy omelettes and can only eat a few mouthfuls before the richness starts to make me feel ill. And I hate the sulphurous taste of hard boiled eggs. I've been served egg salad in Germany but never in the UK. That said, due to trying not to eat meat Monday to Friday, we do have a frittata, tortilla or a fried egg on roast vegetables once in a while. I do sometimes make an egg sandwich for when I'm out walking. Mashed softish hard boiled egg, spring onion and as little mayo is possible.

    Having said all that, I did enjoy this breakfast last week despite not usually even being able to think of eggs before lunch time.




    This frittata wasn't too bad.



    Goose egg and roast veg. I much prefer them to hens' eggs but they're seasonal.


    Eton mess. But I don't really think of meringue as eggs.

    hobbitmom thanked floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
  • last month

    Baked into a cake. Lately I've been making that thing where you mash a very ripe banana in a coffee mug, stir in an egg and 4 T of flour; then microwave for about a minute. Kind of a mini-souffle, and it doesn't stick to the mug.

    hobbitmom thanked Jupidupi
  • last month

    I love soft boiled eggs on buttered toast. My grands love scrambled eggs with ketsup. We are simple.lol

    hobbitmom thanked ladypat1
  • last month

    @floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK A few weeks ago I attempted to make an Eton Mess for a group of friends - my contribution to a dinner for all of us. It was a first attempt which isn’t usually recommended when making food for others. But, it was enjoyed by all with fresh seasonal strawberries!

    hobbitmom thanked KW PNW Z8
  • last month

    I've never met an egg I didn't like. Chicken eggs, that is :-)) Soft boiled, hard boiled, scrambled, poached, fried over easy, omelettes, quiche, frittata, baked/baked in a casserole. As you can tell, mostly in some sort of breakfast/brunch presentation.

    I'm not that wild about custards but of course use eggs in a wide variety of other recipes.

    Breakfast is my favorite meal and I enjoy it at any time of day.


    hobbitmom thanked gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
  • last month

    Easter eggs, caviar, roe?

    hobbitmom thanked petalique
  • last month

    Eton mess is the fall back position if your strawberry pavlova breaks. 😁

    hobbitmom thanked floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
  • last month

    I love eggs. Your omelettes sound perfect. Actually, I will eat eggs any way, but the yolks have to be runny if fried or poached and loose when scrambled (cooked, but not at all dry). My dad used to make an egg nog (milk, egg, bit of vaniila) every morning. I love them along with every kind that have been mentioned. Also love breakfast for dinner.

    hobbitmom thanked cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
  • last month

    I love eggs, too. Even the the rubbery pickled eggs. I buy some that are described as

    ”gourmet pickled cackleberries”. Eggs are a great snack




    hobbitmom thanked roxsolid
  • last month

    😁


    hobbitmom thanked sephia_wa
  • last month

    Since I am a creature of habit and have the same panini sandwich every day, I eat at least 365 eggs a year. There is no way prepared that I don't like eggs. For two years, I had my mother make me egg salad sandwiches when I was a kid, and she always put chopped celery in them that I told her I didn't like, but she kept it up, so I had to remove them every lunchtime

    hobbitmom thanked lily316
  • last month

    Ha! No Cadburys! Dang

  • last month

    Fried Eggs over easy with buttery grits, bacon, a sausage patty, sliced homegrown tomato, and toast/biscuit/jam. My fav is having all of the above with the eggs piled onto hot cheese toast.....with the chalaza removed of course, nyuk.

    On other days it's scrambled eggs with ham bits, sautéed onions/peppers, plus fresh tomatoes, and fried apples/pears, toast & jam.

    hobbitmom thanked vgkg Z-7 Va
  • last month

    I also love custards and make a lot of quiche family things, and soufflés, etc., but I don't like traditional Mexican flan...

    hobbitmom thanked plllog
  • last month

    Most of what’s been mentioned. I do especially like egg salad, deviled eggs and eggs in potato salad.

    hobbitmom thanked chloebud
  • last month

    "Ha! No Cadburys! Dang"

    I'm addicted to them! Unfortunately, or maybe fortunately, they're only available a few times a year. I stock up during those times 😆

    hobbitmom thanked sephia_wa
  • last month
    last modified: last month

    Eggs are in regular rotation, especially with a vegetarian in the household:

    breakfast sandwich on rustic sourdough, eggs, cheese (mine is always with fried eggs with gooey yolk)

    quiche (spinach and feta, broccoli and cheddar - tomorrow's plan)

    omelettes or scrambles like the above or with Boursin

    tortilla espagnol

    Egg bites (easy in a muffin tin, in all the typical combos above)

    benedicts

    huevos rancheros

    If we are stretching the definition, I do like macarons and amarettis (the latter are a guilty sweet way to get a lot of protein in a treat, the former are more sugary)

    hobbitmom thanked Gooster
  • last month

    I like eggs prepared just about any way and with just about any combinations, but with some preferences as we all have. With two eggceptions - I really don't care for poached eggs and if I never run into meringue again, that would be fine.

    hobbitmom thanked Elmer J Fudd
  • last month

    You had me at eggs.

    hobbitmom thanked rob333 (zone 7b)
  • last month
    last modified: last month

    I almost always enjoy eggs, prepared well.

    I make really good potato salad. A few summers ago, I could not stop indulging.

    I never eat raw eggs. I don’t like overcooked eggwhites or bits of uncooked eggwhite in an egg preparation.

    I made this custard pie. Filling great; a bit of a goof on the piecrust. Freshly grated fine nutmeg on top before baking. Now I am hungry for this. I could eat an entire deep dish 10” pie.



    The custard is cooked perfectly for my liking. Careful not to overcook.

    hobbitmom thanked petalique
  • last month

    @petalique your custard looks divine. It's calling to meeee.

  • last month

    Let's not forget eggs as important team members. Pecan pie. Pound cake.

    hobbitmom thanked lucillle
  • last month

    You can have my piece of pecan or custard pie.

    hobbitmom thanked Elmer J Fudd
  • last month

    I will gladly take your slice of custard pie, Elmer. I think I might like a little whipped cream on that too, please.

  • last month

    And I’ll take the pecan pie.😊


    I remembered the Goldenrods my mom would make on Sunday mornings. Chopped egg white mixed in a béchamel sauce over toast. The crumbled yolks were served on top usually with some bacon slices. Still enjoy it.

    hobbitmom thanked chloebud
  • last month

    For me, any day I get custard is a great one :-) But we love eggs in pretty much any way. Fried, poached, scrambled, hard boiled, omelettes, egg sandwiches (especially curried egg), fried egg sandwiches, huevos rancheros, shakshuka, baked in cakes and cookies, all yum!

    hobbitmom thanked colleenoz
  • last month

    And lemon bars! Don’t those things need a lot of eggs?

    chloebud, you have lemon trees, right?

    hobbitmom thanked roxsolid
  • last month

    Chili Rellenos casserole!

    hobbitmom thanked NiCOZ5
  • last month

    @NiCOZ5 oooh! chili rellenos, Im swooning! Sublime when done right. Im simply going to have some soon!! Thank you so much for reminding me.

  • last month

    “chloebud, you have lemon trees, right?”

    Sure do…just one lemon tree and it’s absolutely loaded! We just had our roof redone, and I noticed one of the guys walk to his truck with an arm load of lemons. I kind of felt he should have asked first (I would have said YES!), but I think he picked them all up from the ground. And there are just so many! You mentioned lemon bars…YES! You can’t imagine how much my husband loves them. I make Ina G’s recipe all the time.🍋👍🏻 Her recipe calls for 6 eggs, but I‘ve halved it for the two of us.

    hobbitmom thanked chloebud
  • last month

    I'm fortunate to have eggs from my daughter-in-law's hens across the road. The downside, though, is the my proximity to the hens and the resulting risk of them contracting bird flu forced me to stop attracting migrating birds by putting out bird feed. I fed the wild birds here for 49 years, so that was sad.

    Quite a few years ago I shared a recipe for curried egg salad with apples (Granny Smith). I remember Glenda raving about it. I still like it. But if I feel up to putting forth only minimal effort I'll boil two eggs for 4 minutes or so--long enough to cook the whites and leave a good part of the yolk runny--and put them in a cup with a broken-up piece of whole wheat toast, a little vegan "butter," and and a sprinkle of salt.

    hobbitmom thanked Alisande
  • last month

    I shoul put in an endorsement for fried duck eggs. It's been decades--they're big very rich yolks and a little white--but quite delicious...and do well with cooking quality olive oil (butter would be guilding the lily...).

    hobbitmom thanked plllog
  • last month

    I bought duck eggs once and as much as yolks are the better part of an egg, they freaked me out a bit!

    hobbitmom thanked foodonastump
  • last month

    I love eggs, one of my favorite foods. I eat 2 eggs most days of the week for breakfast, sometimes another one or two later in the day. Usually hard boiled for breakfast because they're packable and I eat my breakfast at work but also love them scrambled and omelettes, and let's not forget Scotch eggs! Endless ways to use them as in ingredient. I don't like soft-boiled or cooked with runny yolks in any way, though.

    hobbitmom thanked porkchop_z5b_MI
  • last month

    My happy hens give me lots of eggs so we eat them in all kinds of ways. My favorite, though, has to be creme brulee.


    Other than that it's an over easy egg with good bread and some butter, which my cardiologist frowns very sternly about. He tells me one egg per day will make a difference in my cholesterol that is "statistically insignificant", so eat them but give up the butter. (sigh) Turns out I don't really like bread all that much, I mostly like the butter, LOL.


    Annie

    hobbitmom thanked annie1992