SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kek19

eggs eggs eggs and more eggs...

kek19
16 years ago

You all got me feeling guilting mowing my lawn! The majority of my yard is plantian weeds, queen anne's lace and milkweed. Right now the plantian and QAL is growin like crazy, so mowing my lawn I felt this horrible twinge of guilt mowing down those big QAL plants. I did a walk around and checked a lot of plants last night, including milkweed, but havent found anything. Well as I was going to mow the side where all the milkweed is growing, I was looking at all that 2-6" milkweed plants I was heading for and the mower died! Ran out of gas. So I figured I'd do a quick check for monarch cats before I refilled. On the second plant I checked, I found an egg! First egg I've ever seen. So I run to the next, 2 eggs!! And the next.... I think I spent almost an hour checking milkweed. I collected 23 eggs! All right where I was going to mow. There was even one plant w/ 3 eggs on it! You know, when you finally see an egg, you definantly know it's an egg. I've been looking and looking, kept finding, what I think was lil drops of dried sap on milkweed, unsure if they were eggs or not. But now that I've actually seen one in person, you can definantly tell the difference! I even found a 1st instar cat.

So what's next? How do I keep all these eggs. Do I keep them on the full leaf, or cut away part of the leaves since I've had viral issues w/ my first ones, and can't wash these leaves? Should I keep them in individual little containers or all together? I feel like a kid in a candy store!

Shoot...I forgot to finish mowing!

Karri

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting