SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_2655804

Wisconsin Lawn Soil Test

User
7 years ago

Hi- looking for advice:

One acre, zone 5, (KGB, fes, rye mix) we built house and installed lawn 4 yrs ago, have well water high iron irrigation. During construction pulled out a huge limestone boulder so assumed alkaline soil. Mow at 4, mulch mow, soil temps rise to around 55 apply soybean meal and an app of dimension. Then milorganite rest of year. Over the years of establishing lawn controlled most of weeds but eventually the clover began to take over even after us spot spraying so had a lawn company for the first time do 3 applications of herbacide and 3 apps of 32-0-10 Lesco. This late summer I began brewing some aerobic compost tea and applied 5 gallons diluted, plan on continuing that next year. The clover is gone. I guess my question is every late fall I begin a slowly drop in mower height (3-3.5) and as I do this a large amount a hay like grass is revealed. I thought maybe sodwebworm damage or fungus damage. I called lawn co and they said to let it grow long again, I did but essentially it's just covering all the yellow dead straw grass. This fall had the soil test and some numbers were off the charts. All the grass is not strawlike, was thinking maybe one of the 3 types of grass in our mix is being affected??? Also where our soil wasn't disrupted during construction is not strawlike. Also areas more green are around beds, concrete walk and around trees. So I'm at a loss, any suggestions. (After soil test, applied milorganite, last n-p-k app by lawn co was mid September so confused why nitrogen is so low)

Comments (30)