SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
petalique

A new Ball (tm) pint jar just broke (full of beans), grrrr.

petalique
7 years ago

It seems as though these glass jars are getting thinner. I have been making dilled green beans in vinegar with dill, garlic and dried cayenne. I have a rack and a hinged jar grabber X tong gizmo. The jars were new, washed, dipped in boiling water, packed with clean produce, then hot/warm vinegar solution was poured over the produce as per directions (I've done this before, even this week). Clean lid put on and screw band nestled into place firmly. I gently settled the jar into the wrack with the other filled jars. Nothing bumped, thumped or banged. As I was putting the bales of the wire rack down, I saw some garlic and dried red pepper come floating to the top. Darn it. One jar had cracked right at the bottom.

Jars said BALL, made in USA. No phone number.

I know it might not sound like a big life crisis ;/ and of course it isn't but I ran out of beans and these cost $3. per pound, plus the trimming, preparing.... It is disheartening.

Does Kerr make any better jar?

Do any of you find that the jars seem thinner than a few years back?

I've got more green beans to pickle, as well as tomatoes, but it's late in the day now and I didn't do a thing to cause the jar to fracture at the bottom like it did. Guess I need to take a break but the produce is sitting on the shelf, waiting for me to take heart and ignore back pain and continue canning.

Thanks for listening and I welcome any suggestions for more durable jars.

I'm in New England and the foliage is just stunning. Wild turkeys visit the gardens and look for salad greens, seeds and beetles.

Comments (10)