SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ssdarb

Help with Thanksgiving stuffing/dressing recipe

ssdarb
7 years ago

We host Thanksgiving for about 30 family and friends every other year. I serve all the traditional foods (yummy brined turkey), all the passed-down family favorites. In addition to the expected foods, I always try to throw in a new veggie dish, a new stuffing/dressing recipe and maybe one more new item. Every once in a while one of the new dishes makes it into the regular menu. And every year I start testing the new things starting about now, in September.

I just tested a new stuffing/dressing recipe last night and the flavor is so good, but the texture didn't turn out as pleasing. I like it when the dressing is moist, but fluffy, not squished down and compact, like a casserole. This one turned out too densely compacted. Since the flavors were good, I suspect it's a technique thing. Any help is appreciated.

Here's the recipe (from Food Network Kitchen website):

Bacon-Jalapeno Stuffing

In a large deep skillet, sauté ¼ pound diced bacon in 2 T butter
for 5 minutes; transfer to paper towels. (I used a tiny dab of olive oil, not the butter)

1: Season with salt and
pepper and add 1 chopped onion, 3 chopped celery stalks, 1 diced jalapeno, 1 T
thyme and ¾ t chili powder; cook 5 minutes. (I used fresh thyme; the recipe doesn't specify fresh or dried)

2: Pour in 3 cups chicken
broth; simmer until step 5.

3: In a large bowl, mix 2
eggs, 1 cup diced pepper jack cheese and the bacon.

4: Add to the bowl 8 cups
toasted white bread cubes, 6 cups crumbled cornbread and the hot brother
mixture.

5: Gently toss the
stuffing, then spread in a buttered 9 x 13 inch baking dish. Dot the top with butter or turkey pan
drippings, cover and back 30 minutes at 350.
Uncover and bake until golden, 20 more minutes.

As I said, it came out too dense and cake-like, not fluffy. Should I fluff it before or after baking, or is there a technique thing I need to learn?

Comments (12)