SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lisa_w53

Am I Wrong?

Mellie Wellie
7 years ago

A year go, my sister decided that she wanted to start over a new life in another state. She sent her 15 and 18 year old son and daughter to live with me for a year while she finalized things where she lived. I also have two children, one who was 22 that lives with me and the other 18 years old in college who lives at home. At the time they move in, I had just gotten separated and was living on my own for the first time; she was also going through a divorce 5 years of separation.

Initially, she started giving me 30 dollars biweekly for food but after letting her know that it couldn't cover costs for food she started giving me 75 biweekly. Although very tight, I managed to make it work in addition to what I put in biweekly as well.

Three months ago, she finalized everything and moved in with me. From her divorce she received a large payoff for the house they owned along with child support payments. As they live with me she still continues to contribute $75 biweekly for food.

After 3 months of looking, she finally found a job and just started working a few days ago.

What I would like to know is others' opinion on whether she should be pitching in financially to help out more. I feel that with her settlement and child support she should have been doing that at least 3 months ago. Especially when she sees me at times struggling to pay for house repairs that mount up to $300 each time a service guy comes out and she hears me complaining. (In the past 3 months, I've had to repair the dishwasher, toilet, washing machine and replace the garage door.) My two children help out minimally each month by paying for one utility bill each. She is aware of that. I feel that that alone justifies that she should offer to pay something more than $150 for food. A household of 6 people is a lot of maintain. I haven't directly spoken to her about chipping in more but have just hinted here and there at it.

My brother said I should wait until she gets a few paychecks before I ask for money to cover household expenses. I feel that that shouldn't matter since she receives monthly child support and has a large sum of money that's sitting in her bank account from her settlement that should be using to help cover expenses. I don't feel like I should be responsible for an adult and her two children without adequate financial support.

Comments (9)

Sponsored