SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bethohio3

Figuring out if our budget is feasible

Beth
7 years ago

My husband and I are trying to figure out if we can afford to build when we relocate next year. I know I posted earlier and now I have a few more specific questions I'm hoping some people can advise on.

We have a few lots we're looking at on-line and will visit in person in October.

I've been looking at floor plans and have an idea of what we want (about 2500 sqft ranch with a full basement and a 4-5 car garage). I haven't seen anything that's quite right.

We didn't hire an architect when we built this house 10 years ago (worrying about cost) but I keep reading that working with an architect would be a good idea--and might actually help us keep on budget.

So, how do I find one? :-)

And what would I provide as a 'getting started' point? I've created a list of rooms we want, and some things about each room (size in our current house, appliances, fixtures).

What I want to do is sit down with someone(s) and find out if the numbers we're thinking about are even in the right ballpark, and if they're not, what would be, so we can decide if we want to do that, end up buying something existing, reconsider our budget, or something else.

I got a good recommendation for a builder who will be a great resource for me, but does not build in the county where the lots we've found are. (Close friend of a family member)

I know I'm all scattered over this--but could really use someone laying out a clear path to approach this.

Comments (20)