SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bclerc81

Adding 1 wall in basement makes it finished. What a joke

E M
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

I am adding a full bathroom in my basement (currently only 1 bath in house). I also wanted to add one wall to divide the two parts of the basement and keep one side as storage/utility and just have a workout area in the other half. I put in a permit application for the bathroom and the addition of one wall. I specified that I was not making it habitable space, I was not finishing the floor or adding a drop celing or sheetrock to any walls (other than the one I was adding under the permit). I was just going to paint the cinderblock walls and put gym mats under the workout equipment so it would be a little more pleasing to the eye when working out.

Inspector came in and approved application for the addition of the bath and wall then called me the next day to say that adding that one wall will make it a finished basement. What????? Are you kidding me!!! I am not going to let them raise my taxes and call it a finished basement. I live outside NYC so my taxes are insanely high already. I told him ok fine just put the permit in for the bathroom. I'm so annoyed. That is so wrong. I will just make it work without putting up a wall.

I'm not asking for suggestions and I am not interested in working around it without them knowing I'm just venting and annoyed that they can't save the increase in taxes for someone who is actually making livable /living space in the basement and adding value to the house. I was just trying to make a nice workout area separate from the ugly oil tank, boiler and other ugly utility stuff.

I should add - as most of you know this type of thing can vary widely from town to town so the above does not mean it would be the same outcome in you own case if you were doing something similar.

Comments (10)