SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
texanrose

Help me make the most of my tiny lot! Adding on to a 2 bed 1 bath

Sharon in Texas
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

Hi! First post I think? I've learned a lot from reading Houzz discussions and look forward to getting some feedback. :)

Context: we have a tiny but charming little 2 bed 1 bath house on a 5000 square foot lot in a town near the Texas Gulf Coast. The house was built in 1920 and is about 800 square feet. It feels bigger than it is due to 9 foot ceilings, lots of windows, and a very efficient layout. That said, we are a family of five (two adults, two teens, and a toddler) and we are bursting at the seams! We like our neighborhood (very walkable, nice neighbors) but haven't had any success finding another house in the neighborhood that meets our needs, so we want to add on for now.

So this is what we have right now. The dotted lines are the setback lines. Note that the house currently has NO closets. Also, NO laundry room (the washer and dryer take up valuable space in the eat-in kitchen).

What we absolutely have to get out of this addition: one more bedroom, closet space, and a laundry space (a closet is fine, just big enough to hold stackable units plus the vacuum cleaner).

What we would like to have: another bathroom, preferably with a soaking tub (I like baths!), and a separate toilet room to make it more pleasant for two to use the bathroom at once. Also, an office for hubby, who works from home. The office can be just big enough for a built in desk and a chair. It would be great if we could also fit in a coat closet and a linen closet.

I'm hoping to come up with two options to take to my builder to get some pricing: option A will be simpler and cheaper, and option B will have more of what we want but is hopefully still within our price range. Either way, we plan to do some of the finish work ourselves to keep costs down.

This is what I have so far for option A. What works: the plumbing is all in a row, so presumably it will be cheaper to build. It's simpler construction and will have a simpler roofline, so again, cheaper to build. The "must-haves" (bedroom, laundry space, closets) are covered, plus I have a couple extras (soaking tub, linen closet). What isn't ideal: the middle bedroom is very small, and the back bedroom isn't huge either.

And option B. This one has slightly bigger bedrooms and an office space with a window (yay!). Also, a separate toilet room. However, no linen closet or coat closet. However, it's going to be more expensive to build, not only because of the increased square footage, but because the plumbing is more all over the place, and the jog out to the left makes the roofline considerably more complicated.

My questions are as follows. First of all, stepping back and looking at the big picture, if there is an entirely different way to go about adding the space we need without tearing down and starting over, I am all ears! The only thing that I am unwilling to change is the existing bathroom, which we just finished remodeling. Secondly, are there any practical issues with either option A or option B? Thirdly, getting even more specific, can you see a way to fit a linen closet and/or coat closet into option B? Any feedback would be much appreciated!

Comments (24)

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths