SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jweingarden

First Adenium Seedlings... now for an experiment?

Jon
7 years ago

I bought a pack of 10 adenium obesum. These are just over a month old (since first planting the seeds). I think they are getting just about big enough to repot for the winter. Or should I wait a bit more?

I had two possible plans. I'm going to move at least a few of these into individual pots, so the roots can fill out without competing with each other. I want to keep one or two of the most interesting looking ones, and give a couple away. However, I'm deciding if I want to put all of them in separate pots, or experiment with fusing several of them. I was thinking of taking 4 or 5 of them and seeing if they will inosculate. Any thoughts?

If I fuse them, how do you guys go about doing that with adenium? I am using electrical tape on some ficus and hot peppers right now, but I just saw a thread on adenium that seemed to indicate tape could affect the fattening of the trunk adversely. Conversely, this person stripped some of the outer skin off the plants and used super glue to bind them. I wasn't planing on cutting away the outer skin - it worries me a bit, but I can also imagine that could help. I was thinking just planting them close enough might do the trick - these seem to grow quickly and fuse easily?

Comments (11)