SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_38710460

Experiment - Has anyone tried growing Adeniums in orchid bark?

User
6 years ago

Hi all, I was wondering if anyone has experience with growing Adeniums in orchid mix or a combination of such. This last Summer (now Autumn here in Oz) I decided to experiment with growing one of my Adeniums in a mix of about (60% cymbidium orchid mix and 40% cacti/succulent mix + a small amount of perlite) to see what it was like.

Our Spring/Summer was very hot with lots of heatwave conditions and we were having to water almost every day. Our plants were repotted twice through the growing season (September & January) as they had filled their pots with roots and were running out of nutrients in their usual mix. (Plants were bare rooted and then repotted) During the second repot I selected one to try the orchid mix combo.

This is what I observed at the end of the growing season - all plants flowered well and growth was about the same....but, the one in the orchid mix combo appeared healthier. Leaves were a beautiful rich, lush green. The plant had previously had a couple of smaller lower branches that had stopped growing and these had now grown well and had balanced the overall look of the plant. I also decided at the end of our growing season, to carefully lift the plants out of their pots to check on root growth to compare. The one’s in my usual succulent/cacti mix had filled their pots again with roots, but the soil mix was looking tired. The adenium in the orchid mix combo had also filled its pot with roots, but the roots were not as cramped looking as the others in the usual mix. The orchid mix combo still looked like it had plenty of nutrients left.

A couple of other observations - now that our weather has gone cold, I’ve noticed that the one in the orchid mix combo has been one of the last ones to start entering dormancy (eg: leaves turning yellow)

Also, when watering during Summer, the orchid mix stays damp (not wet) for a day or two longer then the other mix....but, I also noticed that after heavy rains the orchid mix felt evenly damp whereas the normal succulent mix felt quite wet. Both mixes still dried out well afterwards in the sun. (The orchid mix just seems like a lighter airier mix.) All plants have been healthy with no pest problems.

Has anyone else on the forum tried growing Adeniums in orchid mix and what was your observations - good or bad?

Comments (8)