SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_19691928

What do you use as seed envelopes?

User
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

I thought it would be interesting to see how people send seeds. I'm extremely frugal, and I use whatever is at hand most of the time. I do have some leftover manilla coin envelopes from back in the day when I used to do a lot of trades, but they're so old I have to tape them shut because the glue is dried up. LOL If I only have a few seeds to send, or I'm sending tiny seeds. I used to cut those in half. If you use those with tiny seeds, put the seeds in a foldup of wax paper or other paper first, though, or they will slip out of the envelope top. I find these very useful for storing seeds I gather from my own plants just because they are all one size and you can write whatever you want on them. I've gotten some seeds that had lovely printed stickers on them with growing instructions for the seeds inside, but I don't go that fancy. It's nice for unusual seeds, though.

A friend gave me some of those cute little zipper bags in a couple of sizes, so I sometimes use those. BTW, they are VERY cheap on eBay. You can buy 1,000 of the 1.5' x 2" ones for less than $10 with free shipping. If you don't need 1,000, you can get 100 for $3.95 with free shipping. OR you can just buy some at your local craft store in the bead section.

I use junk mail envelopes and tape to make trade envelopes a lot of times. Many traders use pretty pictures of flowers out of magazines to make their own envelopes.

There are also templates for free online that you can print out to make very pretty colored or black and white seed envelopes. With the cost of ink, though, I'd think that would be sort of expensive. Still, you could print out the template and use it to make them out of other paper.

Here's a tip for sending heirloom tomato seeds. Instead of going to all the trouble of fermenting them and sorting and counting and packaging - smear them onto 1/3 of a paper towel (those pick-a-size ones work well), let it dry, then fold it up so they're padded on all sides and mail them in a regular envelope with double postage. I learned this when someone sent me my first Everglades seeds this way. You can then plant the entire paper towel or just cut off as many as you want and plant them. Works great.

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Buckeye Basements, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars31 Reviews
Central Ohio's Basement Finishing ExpertsBest Of Houzz '13-'21