SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
strawchicago

Mineral / nutrient deficiency & secret to health & antifungal trace e

strawchicago z5
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

The other 2 threads on mineral/nutrient deficiencies got too long, but I'll post the links for future references:

http://forums.gardenweb.com/discussions/3954615/mineral-deficiency-symptoms-in-roses?n=75

http://forums.gardenweb.com/discussions/4034324/questions-on-mineral-nutrient-deficiency-in-pots-and-ground-and-fertilizer?n=58

Vaporvac asked me how much sulfate of potash to give per rose bush for blooming. For a large bush, I give them 1 tablespoon per 2 gallon of water to induce blooming. For a small bush, I give 1/2 tablespoon diluted in 2 gallons of water.

Sulfate of potash is best used with dolomitic lime (has calcium/magnesium). But if your soil is high in calcium, then skip dolomitic lime. My soil is high in magnesium, so I use gypsum (calcium sulfate) along with sulfate of potash.

How to tell if your soil has enough calcium? If you have solid octopus canes or basal breaks ... that's plenty of calcium. How to tell if your soil has enough magnesium? If your soil sticks together be it wet or dry .. magnesium is the "glue" that holds soil together.

According to U. of CA, the ratio in rose tissue analysis is nitrogen slightly more than potassium, twice more potassium than calcium, and very small amount of magnesium and phosphorus .. even 1/10 is sufficient.

From my past 5 years of many experiments, I found the secrets to healthy roses:

1) Continuous supply of potassium plus anti-fungal trace-elements (in horse manure, compost, or spirulina). Roses tend to break out in diseases after blooming, due to depletion of potassium & anti-fungal trace elements.

2) Good drainage so roots don't stand long in acidic rain water.

3) Alkaline minerals to neutralize acidic rain water. Pink Peace cut bloom with leaves break out in blackspot within 3 days of soaking in rain-water (pH 5.6), versus healthy in tap water (pH 9). Potassium, calcium, magnesium are alkaline minerals in clay.

4) Balance in nutrients and pH. Too alkaline isn't good either. Below is a pic. of copper deficiency in Veteran's Honor after I gave it high pH Azomite plus high pH pea-gravel water. High pH induces copper deficiency: wilted leaves & leaves curl under. High pH also induces iron and sulfur deficiency (pale young leaves).

Comments (50)