SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
deborahbradsher

Wallpaper

Deborah Bradsher
7 years ago

Selling a house with wallpaper in bath and kitchen. Should I remove it.l? Only six views in five months. Very disappointed in realtor.

Comments (35)

• rrah
    7 years ago

Yes, remove it. If you are in a buyer's market, and with only 6 views in 5 months I'm guessing you are, you need to maximize the appeal of your house. For example, if I have a choice between 40-100 other houses, and one has wallpaper in two rooms, it will go to the bottom of my list.

I'm also wondering about pricing. This low activity seems to indicate you are probably overpriced. The best agent in the world can't force people to see your house if it's overpriced. Often other agents will use your house as a comparison house to sell another when it's overpriced. You control the pricing.

Deborah Bradsher thanked rrah
  • Deborah Bradsher
    Original Author
    7 years ago

• Related Discussions

Let's talk wallpaper (may be offensive to wallpaper lovers)

Q

Comments (23)
    I love wallpaper, and use it often. But I do agree about people who apply multiple layers or paint over it. Doesn't sound like any of you have ever had the challenge we had in this house. I kid you not--I counted carefully--our living room had TWELVE layers of wallpaper, several with pain on them. And we stripped every scrap of it off before doing anything further. One interesting thing I've noticed lately--the houses for sale in the neighboring town (one of the priciest, most 'desireable', most trendy in the country) are mostly showing very, very busy wallpapers lately. Guess it's coming back.
    ...See More

Faux brick wallpaper/other trendy wallpaper

Q

Comments (4)
    "unpasted, washable, strippable vinyl wall paper" means that it is vinyl wallpaper without paste applied on the back by the manufacturer. So you will need to apply the paste yourself, instead of the somewhat easier application process of submerging in water to activate the pre-applied paste.
    ...See More

WallPaper to coordinate with existing paint

Q

Comments (1)
    I like pursuing Schumacher's IG for ideas. https://www.instagram.com/schumacher1889/?hl=en
    ...See More

Re Wallpaper: How many walls are recommended to wallpaper in a laundry

Q

Comments (16)
    if you like the paper then all walls. I just did all 4 walls in a small powder room 3 x 7. I added crown and painted ceiling and crown semi gloss white vs flat white (the ceiling was smooth so it could handle the gloss. It really brightens and just gives the room a wow factor. I love wallpaper and 20 years ago pretty much had it in all rooms LOL. Now just the small bath. I am thinkin about doing a wall in my kitchen. My sons came home and saw the bath and ask me if I was going to paper everything again LOL. They were giving me ideas. They are in their 20s almost 30 now. It actually makes them feel comfortable happy. It reminds them of their childhood. :)
    ...See More
  • PRO
    Anglophilia
    7 years ago

Your kitchen and bath look dated and the wallpaper makes that look even more so. I'd remove them and paint neutral colors, and then get a new realtor and a realistic price.

Deborah Bradsher thanked Anglophilia
  • emma1420
    7 years ago

How much below list price was the low-ball offer?

And definitely reemove move the wallpaper. I wouldn't discount a house with wallpaper, but as others have mentioned it would move towards the bottom of my list, as removing wallpaper is a pain in the neck.

Deborah Bradsher thanked emma1420
  • emma1420
    7 years ago

Are the houses selling around 215k updated? If so the 180k offered might not have been so unreasonable. What was the realtors low price initially? I think if it was over 215k then changing realtors might be a good idea. Because It definitely sounds like you are overpriced pretty significantly. Do you think you are overpriced? If you do then why not drop the price again and see if you get more traffic?

• Deborah Bradsher
    Original Author
    7 years ago

The prices in my town are selling around 215,000 and lower. But one just sold close by is just 135,000. But it's a very small house with siding and no garage. Mine is 2100 sq ft. Brick with garage. Basement and walkin attic. Well built home with wide baseboards and chair railing. Compatibles do not have this but they do have an open floor plan. Plus mine has tile in three full baths and their baths do not. Realtor was the one who told me 224,000 good price just need right person to come by. Ha. Well, nobody is coming by.

• Deborah Bradsher
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Oh. And the realtor thought 180,000 plus contingency was awful. Well, I did too.

• aprilneverends
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

One of the houses I remember the most from our last house hunting, was fully wallpapered, and pretty outdated.

Together with that-the only thing that really prevented me from purchasing it-was the fact it had 2 bedrooms and a den-and we needed 4 bedrooms:) It was indescribably charming house, with magic though little garden around, with amazing vibe about it. I didn't want to leave..

So to me-wallpaper wouldn't be a real issue, if I loved the place.

Your photos seem nice and welcoming, and wallpaper doesn't take this feel away.

Maybe there are other things..wasn't marketed well enough, is overpriced, stays too long on the market-people don't see it in new listings..I don't know what. What I know that when we were looking I checked, like, several sites each morning, and all of them had different speed of updating things. But I get up really early, and read freakishly fast lol-most people won't have time to compare MLS and other 10 sites every day. My realtor didn't send me even one house I hadn't find at least several hours before her)) Might be lot of things..

Our first starter apartment, many years ago, didn't get ANY views, at all. Nobody came to see it. After a month or more I went to another realtor. It was sold within a week. Maybe coincidence. Maybe not.

Deborah Bradsher thanked aprilneverends
  • Deborah Bradsher
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thank you April for the compliments. Photos do not do justice. It is a nice home. When mama and daddy built the house wallpaper was in. Mama's house was so clean you could eat off the floor. Built in 91 and still almost looks like new.

• emma1420
    7 years ago

How many bedrooms was the house that sold for 135k? From a buyers perspective a brick exterior is nice to have, but I'd never pay extra for it. As your contract with your current realtor is up in a few weeks then now is a great time to get some new realtors in and have them give you some pricing.

And, while its great that the house looks new, if it hasn't been updated in 25 years then it's still going to look like a dated house. Removing the wallpaper and doing some minor things will probably make it look a lot more updated, especially if everything is in really good shape. It might be worth asking all the realtors you interview about those kind of things. They may have some good suggestions. Good luck.

• cpartist
    7 years ago

I agree with Lily'sMom. She's giving you good advice. Especially about countering every single offer.

I just sold my condo in May. Mine was completely updated, with new quality appliances, wood floors, and a view people beg for. (My Condo Listing) Mine was one of 10 on the market in the building and the most updated of those being sold.

I put my condo on the market in January and a buyer came in and offered 16% less than my asking price. We countered by lopping $10,000 off the price and we didn't hear from the buyer again.

At the beginning of March we lowered our price by 3%. Less than 2 weeks later the original buyer came back and offered 10% less than our new asking price.

We countered and wound up settling with her paying 5% less, but also paying our closing costs we had with the city. So with her paying the closing costs, she paid a total of 6% off our original asking price.

And it turns out the reason she offered such a low price originally was because it was all she felt comfortable paying. However when she spoke to a successful family member, that member offered to buy the condo with her which allowed her to meet our price.

Deborah Bradsher thanked cpartist
  • Deborah Bradsher
    Original Author
    7 years ago

The realtor told me not to counter offer because of price and contingency. The contingency was that they would buy after they sell their house. Plus they wanted my mother's bedroom suit.

• cearbhaill (zone 6b Eastern Kentucky)
    7 years ago

"The realtor told me not to counter offer because of price and contingency."

Any offer is worth "working." An offer indicates a buyer and that should never be ignored IMO. What does a counter-offer hurt? A lot of people work on the theory that "it doesn't hurt to try."

And just say no to selling the furniture if you don't want to sell it.Or price it high enough to make it worth selling.

HGTV has given us a generation of buyers who will ask for the sun and moon and expect to get it. That doesn't make them non-viable buyers, just unrealistic ones. Counter.

Deborah Bradsher thanked cearbhaill (zone 6b Eastern Kentucky)
  • User
    7 years ago

Agree that the house looks dated. Clean -yes, I'll give you that! But I would never EVER buy another house with any wallpaper - even a border at ceiling level.

Deborah Bradsher thanked User
  • User
    7 years ago

Well, who ever said house hunters are rational?

We knew someone who had a wallpapered home. It didn't sell. They took some of it down and got an offer. Lower than what they wanted but they worked it. They still complain about how someone "stole" their house from them.

Years ago I read something in the WSJ that made a lot of sense. The assumption is that you are continuously updating your home. Over the 30 years of the mortgage you will have done many cosmetic updates, with new bathrooms and kitchens. They estimated 2x the original mortgage amount or something over the 30 years. New roof, exterior painting, driveway, etc.

If you do nothing, you don't spend that money, but don't expect top dollar when it comes time to sell.

• User
    7 years ago

SaltiDawg - I've stripped more wallpaper (and CEILING PAPER) than you can imagine, including paper that was applied over bare drywall - which resulted in needing new drywall installed. I don't care how "little time" it would take to remove it - I'm done with that sort of thing. If I find a house that has wallpaper, my offer would be contingent upon removal of all wallpaper and proper repair/painting by the seller. Otherwise, I walk.

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    7 years ago

I'm sure we can't compare markets not knowing where you are, but I (with my brothers help and both of us working from some distance) sold mothers house for her when she moved into independent living last October. We listed Oct 18, sale closed Dec 1.

1977 house with wallpaper in the kitchen, family room, sun room, master, both baths. I was really conflicted over the feminine wallpaper, wanting to remove it but in the end we cleaned to the point of spotless and listed as is. At closer to the lower end of neighborhood comps for a 3/2, recognizing there was some deferred maintenance, dated appliances that I'm not seeing in your photos.

Not one potential buyer mentioned the wall paper. She had her check in 6 weeks start to finish, listing price less buyers closing costs.

Deborah Bradsher thanked morz8 - Washington Coast
  • pamghatten
    7 years ago

I agree with Lily's Mom, don't strip the wallpaper, but lower the price. I purchased a house in May that has wallpaper in all the bathrooms that I am slowly removing ... the wallpaper wasn't even a thought when I looked at the house and decided it was the one for me.

Deborah Bradsher thanked pamghatten
  • deegw
    7 years ago

I am a big do it your selfer and wallpaper would really turn me off as well. I have removed paper from many rooms and no matter how careful you are, the walls never look great even with patching. Pulling off paper is tedious and frustrating. If the price was low enough that it made sense to hire someone to take it off then I might consider it. But, do it myself? Nope.

Deborah Bradsher thanked deegw
  • graywings123
    7 years ago

It's the end of August, you could take the house off the market, work on removing the wallpaper, and search for another real estate agent to represent you.

Deborah Bradsher thanked graywings123
  • nancylouise5me
    7 years ago

I agree with those that say keep the wallpaper and lower the price. It is only in two rooms, big deal. The price is more the culprit then wallpaper. Dump that realtor also. She isn't doing her job. Oh, and we never signed a contract longer then 3 months with a realtor. There is just no reason to go longer then that. Fresh eyes and fresh ideas.

Deborah Bradsher thanked nancylouise5me
  • Deborah Bradsher
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I asked my realtor again about talking to other realtors and she said that she didn't do that. That just doesn't make sense to me. And I asked about the counter offer and she said that it was too low with the contingency that they sell their house. And The bedroom suit is mine.

Houses are just not selling fast in my town but Ten miles away, that's closer to Durham, NC, they are selling.

• Deborah Bradsher
    Original Author
    7 years ago

We use to have industry many yrs. ago but not anymore!!!!!

• littlebug zone 5 Missouri
    7 years ago

You seem fixated on the bedroom set issue. It's yours? And you don't want to sell it? Fine. Just say no and move on to the real business at hand - selling the house.

I would agree with whoever said the house should be priced very near what other houses are selling for, unless there's a VERY good reason to set a higher price. A VERY good reason (not cleanliness, good condition, because you like it, etc.)

Deborah Bradsher thanked littlebug zone 5 Missouri
  • emma1420
    7 years ago

Not countering an offer doesn't make sense to me. I put an offer on a house earlier this year (that was rough and needed work) for about 90% of list price. The seller's got offended, the sellers realtor recommended that they not counter (which I only found out recently) with the assumption I would put in another offer at a higher price. The sellers didn't counter and I walked away. Several months later, they ended up selling for the same amount I had originally offered.

To me based on the very limited information provided, it seems as though despite the two price drops the house you are selling is still significantly overpriced. If houses are selling for less than 215K and you neighbor sold for 135K then I think you need to be somewhere between those two points, depending on the recommendation of a better realtor than you have now.

• cpartist
    7 years ago

The contingency was that they would buy after they sell their house. Plus they wanted my mother's bedroom suit.

I probably still would have countered but let it be clear that selling their house had to be off the table.

And yes, I agree with all the others that you most likely are overpriced.

Deborah Bradsher thanked cpartist
  • Deborah Bradsher
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I do know that the buyer loves my house but he told someone that he had to sell his. Who knows when he will sell in our market.

• User
    7 years ago

And who knows when you'll get another offer?

• K Sissy
    7 years ago

The rooms are lovely, but unfortunately, today's buyer doesn't t apreciate wallpaper. You should remove it, and paint the rooms a neutral color that flows through the main area of the house. That's probably not the only reason that you haven't had many showings. You have some old kitchen appliances, and a lot of vinyl flooring in the house. That probably has something to do with why you haven't had many showings. Remember, when a buyer sees things that need to be done, that they will subtract a much larger amt from the listing price of the home, and in all likelihood will low ball any offer that they submit. If possible swap out the old appliances, that should help. Make sure it's in the listing that the appliances stay. Buyers will appreciate that. One of the factors could be price. Let your listing expire and relist at a lower price.Your listing will come up as new in the MLS. Pay attention to your realtors suggestions. Remember that they don't want your house to just sit there. They lose $ when their listings don't sell. Do what they tell you so that they can show your home at it's best. Times are different now, and today's buyer doesn't want to expend any effort when they buy a home. Good luck with your sale.

• elpaso1
    7 years ago

Remove the wallpaper. It looks dated.

• 3katz4me
    7 years ago

Yes - get rid of the wallpaper. I bought two houses last year and looked for a couple years before that. I ruled out any listing with extensive wallpaper in the listing photos. I'm not up for removing hat stuff myself and it's expensive to have it done. If a house was an otherwise perfect match for me I'd over look the WP. But that was never the case because the ones with a lot of WP were also dated in other ways. I had any remaining WP removed from the house I sold last year before I put it on the market. One of the houses I bought did have lower half WP and a border in the laundry room. I liked it and kept it and that was the only room that had it. Everything else was perfectly lovely paint.

• homechef59
    7 years ago

Yes in answer to your question, wall paper is a turn off. I can't even get my DH to look at a house that has wall paper. We've removed our share in past homes. I've even removed the same paper from two different houses in different states.

You have two choices. First, list it "as is" with a corresponding low price. Someone will come in with idea of working on and flipping it. They will make money with their sweat equity and risk. Second, put in some elbow grease by removing the wallpaper, painting the interior and cabinets a neutral color and you will be able to proudly price it at the top of the market with a reasonable expectation of getting a good price in a reasonable amount of time.

It really comes down to the choice you want to make. What you are not going to get is a third choice of top dollar on a house that looks dated because of the wallpaper and other elements.

• Kathleen Squires
    7 years ago

Have hung and removed lots of paper. If wallpaper primer was used the paper will lift off easy and wall can be washed and painted. Looking at how nicely kept your moms home is I bet she primed. Try peeling an inconspicuous area and see what happens. Sheese!!!!new home buyers are way pickier than we were 20 and more years ago !!! Can't speak to the pricing.

• User
    7 years ago

What Kathleen Squires said!