SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
traceeo

Some BWB canning questions

traceeo
7 years ago

So I'm rather new to canning and am trying to get it right. I just did three quarts of sliced pickles and ran into the following things and want to know how to prevent this in the future:

1. I filled the hot jars with the contents and kept it below the 1/2in headspace. Once I filled with liquid the pickle slices crept up above that 1/2in. Is there any way to prevent this?

2. I've realized I need a bigger canner as after I filled it with water above the jars I found that water kept splattering out the sides of the lid while in a rolling boil. this resulted in the tops of the jars slightly exposed after the 15min BWB. All my lids popped. My question is will these pickles still be safe to eat being the tops were exposed? Should I store in the fridge just to be sure? It's only 3 quarts so this one time I could store them in the fridge.

3. All my jars sealed within minutes of removing from the canner. They are sitting on the counter and all the pickles have floated to the top of the jar leaving just liquid at the bottom. Is this normal or how can I prevent this?

Comments (3)