SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gth842s

Fertilizer Question RE: Newly Transplanted Pomegranate

PacNorWreck
7 years ago

Hello All,

I'm looking for some advice on when to start fertilizing a pomegranate tree I am attempting to save from certain death (it was at Lowe's and being soaked every day in a water retentive mix and about 50% of the leaves were yellowing). I've moved it to a fast-draining, bark-based potting medium about a week ago. During the re-pot, I removed about 1/3-1/2 of the root mass that was either brown and dead or circling the pot and broke up the remaining roots as best as I could. I imagine I won't see any signs of new growth for at least two weeks, but I'm curious as to whether I should fertilize now or wait until I've seen a flush of new leaves to replace the yellowed ones. In short, will the absence of fertilizer (I use Foliage Pro for my container plants) encourage root growth or impede it? There is some slow-release fertilizer already in my potting mix. Also, is there anything I can add to my irrigation to encourage root growth?

I'm in Seattle, Z8 / Sunset Zone 5 and the plant is in full sun on my roof if that helps.

Thanks!

Comment (1)