Zucchini season....
10 years ago
Featured Answer
Sort by:Oldest
Comments (24)
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
Related Discussions
If you don't have zucchini, you don't have friends
Comments (39)This one was on the table at a book club potluck last week. Everyone raved and wanted the recipe. I'm going to cross post in new recipes. Zucchini Pickles - Heidi Swanson, 100 Cookbooks There are quite a number of ways to play around with the personality of these pickles. Sometimes I shave the zucchini paper-thin, resulting in a whispy tangle of pickled zucchini and onions. Other times I want my pickles to have a bit more bite, structure, and definition. In those instances, I slice the zucchini thicker, perhaps 1/8-inch, and let them drain as long as possible, sometimes overnight refrigerated. Also worth noting, when I make them for our personal condiment stash, I used a brown natural cane sugar. It gives the pickle liquid a brownish cast that, quite frankly, weirds people out if they don't know what is causing it. So, if I'm making the pickles to bring to a BBQ or something, I'll make them with regular organic cane sugar - one that is lighter in color. 3 medium zucchini (1 pound / 16 oz / 450 g), thinly sliced 1 medium white onion, thinly sliced 3 shallots, thinly sliced 1 1/2 tablespoons fine grain sea salt 1/4 cup (small handful) fresh dill sprigs 1 small fresh red chile pepper, very thinly sliced 1/2 tablespoon yellow mustard seeds 3/4 cup / 180 ml cider vinegar 3/4 cup / 180 ml white wine vinegar 1/3 cup / 1.75 oz / 50g natural cane sugar Toss the zucchini, onion, shallots, and salt together in a colander and place over a bowl to catch the liquids. Cover the bowl and refrigerate for at least a couple hours. Toss once or twice along the way. You're aiming to get as much liquid out of the zucchini as possible. When you're finished draining the zucchini, shake off any water. At this point you want the zucchini as dry as possible. Place in a 1 liter / 1 quart jar along with the dill, chile pepper, and mustard seeds. Alternately, you can cram them into a 3/4 liter Weck jar like I do, but it's always a bit snug in the jar. Combine the ciders and sugar in a small saucepan over medium heat. Bring to a simmer, stirring until the sugar dissolves, and continue to boil for a few minutes. Pour the liquid over the zucchini and seal the jar. Let cool, then refrigerate. The pickles are good for a week or so. Makes one large jar. Prep time: 120 min - Cook time: 5 min Here is a link that might be useful: Quick pickled zucchini...See MoreRECIPE: Buttermilk Sauce -- incredibly good!!
Comments (3)I think it would be PERFECT for carrot cake/bread, lemon or orange bread, banana bread, or any heavy, moist cake or bread. chery2...See MoreZucchini
Comments (38)Copied that tortilla recipe to try! For zucchini, I try to pick them small if possible, they taste better to me that way. Usually just have them sliced or cut into sticks and sautéed with salt and pepper and butter. Or tossed with some vinaigrette or seasonings and grilled (my fave actually). Grilled slices or cubes are also very good cold or at room temp dressed with vinaigrette and topped with cheese like feta or crumbled goat cheese. I have sliced, blanched or grilled, then layered with meat sauce and cheese lasagna style, or rolled then sauced and baked and they are very very good. They make good pickles (sweet or dill) but I like them sliced very thin for that. My mom likes to dice them raw and add to salads or into sticks to use with veggie dip but I am not a fan of the texture that way. To use older zucchini, spoon out the pith and seeds and cut the outside portion up into smaller pieces. I do this even for baking. If the seeds are older you can roast them like pumpkin seeds, the coats might be a little tougher. Dances....See MoreMocha Zucchini Bread
Comments (13)Lars, when I have zucchini that "hides" and I don't find it until it's too big to make a nice vegetable dish, then I make zucchini candy, zucchini pickles or relish or zucchini bread or muffins. I only have zucchini that big, though, for about a month or two in the summer, the rest of the time it's just too expensive to buy enough zucchini to make bread! This recipe takes 4 cups grated, and makes two loaves. Seagrass, I knew I'd like the addition of mocha, as well as the almond extract in this recipe, but I didn't read the recipe carefully, melted the butter and just stirred everything together in the bowl. It worked for me, sometimes I just get lucky! You can use a mixer, with that shoulder. I do hope you are feeling better... Mocha Zucchini Bread 4 cups grated zucchini (from about a pound and a half of zucchini) 2 1/2 cups all purpose flour 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa (use natural unsweetened cocoa, NOT Dutch processed) 2 teaspoons baking soda 1/2 teaspoon salt 1 teaspoon cinnamon 1 1/2 cups granulated white sugar 2 eggs 3/4 cup unsalted butter (12 Tbsp or 1 1/2 sticks), melted 1/2 teaspoon instant coffee granules 1/2 teaspoon almond extract 1 Drain excess moisture from grated zucchini: Place the freshly grated zucchini in a sieve over a bowl to catch any excess moisture as it drains, while you work on prepping the other ingredients and preparing the recipe. 2 Preheat oven, prepare loaf pans: Preheat oven to 350°F, with a rack in the middle. Grease two 9x5-inch loaf pans with baking spray or butter. 3 Whisk together flour, cocoa, baking soda, salt, cinnamon: Vigorously whisk together the flour, unsweetened cocoa, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon in a large bowl. Whisk until there are no more clumps and the ingredients are well combined. 4 Beat sugar and eggs, add melted butter, instant coffee granules, almond extract: In a separate large bowl, beat together the sugar and eggs until smooth, about a minute. You can do this with an electric mixer on medium speed, or by hand with a wooden spoon. (I'm lazy and use a mixer but it's easy enough to do by hand.)Add the melted butter, instant coffee granules, and almond extract and beat until smooth. 5 Stir zucchini into sugar egg mixture, add flour mixture: Mix the shredded zucchini into the sugar egg mixture. Add the flour to the zucchini mixture in 3 additions, stirring to combine after each addition. 6 Divide batter into pans and bake: Work quickly, and divide the batter between the two prepared loaf pans. (Work quickly because once the dry ingredients have mixed with the wet ingredients, the leavening has begun.) Place into the oven. Bake for 50 minutes at 350°F, or until a skewer inserted into the center comes out clean and easily. 7 Cool: Remove to a rack. Let cool in the pan for 5 minutes, then run a blunt knife around the edges to separate the bread from the pan. Remove from the loaf pans and let cool completely on a rack. Note that if you try to slice the chocolate zucchini bread before it has completely cooled, it will be rather crumbly. It's also easiest to slice with a bread knife. Martha, my next loaf is orange chocolate chip zucchini bread! Annie...See More- 10 years ago
- 10 years agolast modified: 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years agolast modified: 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years agolast modified: 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years agolast modified: 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years agolast modified: 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
Related Stories

COOL-SEASON CROPSCool-Season Vegetables: How to Grow Radishes
Fast growing and bright, these easy-care veggies are great for kids and bring plentiful color to a fall or spring garden
Full Story
FARM YOUR YARD9 Ways to Change Up Your Vegetable Garden for the Coming Season
Try something new for edible plantings that are more productive than ever
Full Story
SHOP HOUZZShop Houzz: Harvesting Summer’s Bounty
It's last call for saving this season’s best fruit and vegetables. Are you ready?
Full Story0

GARDENING GUIDES12 Edibles Perfect to Plant in Late Summer
Keep those homegrown vegetables and greens coming well into fall
Full Story
EDIBLE GARDENSHouzz Call: What Did You Grow This Summer?
Let’s celebrate the homegrown fruits and vegetables of the season. Post your pictures and tell us about your harvest
Full Story
FARM YOUR YARDMy Houzz: Backyard Farming for a Kansas City Family
A backyard garden provides a family of 5 with organic seasonal produce. Here's how they do it
Full Story
GARDENING GUIDESSouthwest Gardener's July Checklist
Hold on to your hat and prune those tree branches; monsoon season means damage prevention is key
Full Story
EDIBLE GARDENSSummer Crops: How to Grow Squash
Almost foolproof and with cheerful flowers, squash comes in a wide range of varieties to plant in spring
Full Story
FARM YOUR YARD6 Things to Know Before You Start Growing Your Own Food
It takes time and practice, but growing edibles in the suburbs or city is possible with smart prep and patience
Full Story
GARDENING GUIDES15 Favorites for Your Summer Edible Garden
Get your summer garden off to a good start with these popular fruits and vegetables
Full Story






annie1992Original Author