SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lakemayor

So what is everyone doing with all that zucchini

lakemayor
13 years ago

I don't know about everyone else, but I can't keep up with all that zucchini. I've made several loaves of bread (chocolate chip zucchini) my son's favorite and will make about 30 loaves of the course of the summer. I put blueberries in some as soon as they come into season, which will be a couple of weeks. I've made zucchini appetizer squares and have my shish kabobs with some. But, what else?

Today I'm making dilled green beans as they seem to keep, coming and coming and coming......

Comments (39)

• sheshebop
    13 years ago

Last night it was a zucchini casserole. I cut up a huge zucchini and sauteed it along with onions in butter. Then I mixed 3 eggs, some oregano, white pepper, salt and 1/2 cup milk. Then I Took 3 cups of Special K and crushed it to one cup, added it to the milk mixture, then added the sauteed zucchini and onion mixture,. Then I stirred in 1-1/2 cup cheddar cheese and put it in a pan. Added a little cheese to the top, and baked it 40 minutes at 350. Delicious!

• sally_grower
    13 years ago

Our favorite was is to sauté it in a small amount of butter with an onion. Then when they start to soften and brown, I sprinkle a good amount of shredded Parmesan Cheese on top, cover to let it melt and serve.

• Related Discussions

So what do y'all do with your lime basil?

Q

Comments (9)
    Make a cocktail!! I'd boil water, dissolve some sugar, turn off the heat and throw the basil in, let it steep, strain, then add vodka or rum and freeze it in an ice cream maker. If you're not a drinker, maybe frozen lime-basil iced tea or sorbet instead. Some additional ideas: http://www.thekitchn.com/thekitchn/dessert/recipe-basil-or-mint-sorbet-010353 http://www.thathomesite.com/forums/load/cooking/msg0713115023484.html
    ...See More

You know those 'What to do with all these zucchini' threads?

Q

Comments (1)
    Well, it's even a more creative use for a zucchini than the candied zucchini recipe posted last year on the harvest forum. I guess it just proves the obvious -- by the end of summer, everyone is sick of zucchini, even the bears.
    ...See More

What's everyone doing in SoCal?

Q

Comments (8)
    In the process of harvesting Caigua, Yacon, Kiwano, and Taro from my friend's garden plot we are working on. Oca should be ready to harvest soon as well. Self seeding dandelion is starting to germinate, excellent lettuce taste on a good portion of the naturalized dandelion greens (no bitterness detected). Found lettuce to be finicky and prone to pests, dandelion greens are a great alternative (healthier too). Waiting for more self seeded purslane and german chamomile now. Goal is to get enough self seeding salad greens naturalized, so sizable harvest can be done any week of the year. Germinating Garlic bulbs, Jakfruit (Have a couple sprouting out despite the cooler temps). Trying to germinate Katuk (Sauropus androgynus) and Gotu Kola (Centella asiatica). Waiting for a number of Opuntia Ficus-indica to root, from accessions ordered from GRIN (some promising fruit and nopales selections). Ordering way to many plants to add to the collection :). Bay Laurel (Laurus nobilis), Ulluco (Ullucus tuberosus), and many other medicinal herbs which are adaptogens. Fruiting cacti collection is doing well, just trying to insure they are all happy with the cooler temps and increase moisture. Tropical fruit and spice collection is growing unfazed by recent cooler temps, Brewster Lychee and Julie mango flushing new growth. Dwarf Orinoco bananas almost ready for harvest. Cara Cara oranges close to harvest. In ground Hass and Reed avocados loaded with developing fruit. Need to figure out what I am going to germinate in the next few months... To many seeds and plants and not enough time besides the weekends.
    ...See More

So how did everyone's flowers do after the freeze?

Q

Comments (7)
    schoolhouse - sorry about your butterfly bushes. I'd been thinking about whacking mine back but held off wondering if we'd get a freeze. Now I'm glad I waited. The daffs are laying on the ground but they'd been blooming for several days before the frost hit. I covered my hydrangeas that had sent out new growth--used sheer curtains held on with clothespins. Anywhere the wind blew the curtains off, the leaves are turning black so we definitely got a hard freeze. I covered my hosta and cushion spurge with folded sheers held down with rocks and put a couple of light-colored 3-gallon pots over the new growth on my E. Pow Wow Wild Berry plants. Those appear to be fine. The tall phlox also seems to have weathered the cold. The wind blew two of my winter sown milk jugs off their tables so at least one of them is toast. The campanula had sprouts in it so I'm hoping those weather the storm (pun intended). sweetannie4u - I'm with you on that hate thing.
    ...See More
  • jessyf
    13 years ago

....you're supposed to cook with it? Doesn't it get limp?

Back OT...I'm considering playing with a zucchini gazpacho variation. Ours aren't ready yet (we planted real late).

• grainlady_ks
    13 years ago

While I have fresh tomatoes, zucchini and peppers in the summer, I live on Zucchini Caponata and homemade whole wheat pita bread. This is one of those recipes you will quickly adapt according to what veggies you have on-hand. Any color of pepper will do. Make 1/2 a recipe if you don't need a large batch of it. I like to add a slice of good cheese, fresh fruit for dessert, and call it a meal! -Grainlady

ZUCCHINI CAPONATA

1/3 c. olive oil (or vegetable oil) (I use much less.)
    1 c. chopped onions
    1/2 c. sliced celery
    1/4 c. chopped yellow bell pepper
    1/4 c. chopped red bell pepper
    3 c. cubed zucchini
    2 c. seeded, chopped tomatoes
    2 T. chopped fresh basil OR 2 t. dried basil leaves
    1 t. salt (or to taste)
    1/4 t. pepper
    2 T. lemon juice
    1/2 c. small pitted ripe olives (sliced)
    2 T. capers, drained (optional)

Heat oil in heavy 2-quart saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onions, celery and peppers. Cook and stir 5-10 minutes or until tender. Add zucchini, tomatoes, basil, salt and pepper. Reduce heat to medium; cook 15-20 minutes or until vegetables are softened, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat; stir in remaining ingredients. Refrigerate 8-12 hours (or overnight). Serve with pita bread wedges. Yield: 4 cups.

• caliloo
    13 years ago

As an alternative to the Chocolate Chip Zucchini loaf, I have made this one several times int he past and we like it a lot.

Alexa

PINEAPPLE ZUCCHINI BREAD
    Ingredients
    3 eggs
    1 cup salad oil
    2 cups sugar
    2 tsp. vanilla
    2 cups coarsely shredded zucchini
    1 cup well drained pineapple
    3 cups flour, unsifted
    2 tsp. soda
    1 tsp. salt
    1/2 tsp. baking powder
    1 1/2 tsp., ground cinnamon
    3/4 tsp. nutmeg
    1 cup chopped walnuts
    1 cup currents
    Procedure
    With rotary beater, beat eggs to blend. Add salad oil, sugar, vanilla. Continue beating until thick and foamy. With a spoon stir in zucchini and pineapple. Combine flour, soda, salt, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg, nuts and currents. Stir gently into zucchini mixture just until well blended. Divide batter between 2 greased and floured 9x5
    Temperature: 350°
    Baking Time: 60 minutes.

• lakemayor
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Wonderful recipes. I never would imagine putting Special K in the casserole. Sounds great. The Caponata sounds wonderful too. Do you scoop it up with the pita bread? I love anything with capers in it. Last year my neighbor dilled some zuchini and it tasted just like pickles. It was firm too. I have a zuchini casserole recipe that is really good. I have to look it up and then will post it. Thanks to all.

Sheshebop, it seems that we are neighbors. My husband used to live on Clear Lake in Three Rivers. Now we live between Marcellus and Decatur on a lake.

• lindac
    13 years ago

I make zucchini glop....very like Grain lady's caponata...but without the celery...good over pasta with some fresh parm.
    Linda C

• marymac
    13 years ago

One of my favorite things is making Mock Pineapple with it. its really easy and if you like pineapple you can use it in recipes where ever it calls for pineapple. Or just eat it like canned pineapple

• teresa_nc7
    13 years ago

Tonight I'm making a stuffed Mediterranean squash dish, but you could use a fat zucchini just as well:

~ cut off the stalk end and a tiny bit off the blossom end of a fat summer squash and cut squash in half lengthwise

~ cut around the outer edges of the squash leaving a 1/4" to 1/2" shell; score the middle section and scoop it out and dice

~ fry up about 1/4 lb. bulk sausage (either breakfast or Italian) along with some diced onion, bell pepper, garlic, and the diced squash; saute until cooked completely, season with salt and pepper, some torn basil leaves, and some dry bread crumbs; cool slightly and add some grated Parmesan cheese

~ take the squash shells and steam for about 10 minutes in a steamer basket over boiling water with a lid on; test shells with a knife to be sure they are very tender

~ put shells in a greased baking pan, fill with the sausage mixture and bake at 375 F for about 30-40 minutes - until the stuffing is browned and everything is hot through.

note: this turned out delicious, but next time I may not steam the squash shells but just bake them with the filling in them; the skin of this squash is very tender and steaming made the squash boats just a little too soft.

• lakemayor
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Did mention that hubby planted 10 zucchini plants!! He can't help himself. I told him that he was going to have learn how to make the bread. Maybe next year he will think twice about how many zucchini he plants. Ha!

Here is a recipe I've made that is very good.

Zucchini Sausage Bake

1 lb. Italian sausage
    5 Tlbs. flour
    4-6 cups sliced zucchini
    1/2 cup chopped onion
    2 Tbls. butter
    16 oz. cottage cheese
    1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
    2-3 eggs beaten
    1/4 tsp garlic salt
    1 cup shredded cheddar cheese

Brown sausage, drain and toss with 1 Tbls. flour. Spread in the bottom of 9 x 13 baking dish. Cook zucchini and onion in butter until tender. Remove from heat and toss with 4 Tbls four. Spoon half of zucchini mixture over the meat. In medium bowl, mix cottage cheese, Parmesan, eggs and garlic salt. Pour evenly over zucchini and sausage. Top with remaining zucchini. Bake at 350 for 30-35 minutes.

• fearlessem
    13 years ago

I just made this tonight and it was fantastic! A new favorite for me...

Here is a link that might be useful: Zucchini and Arugala salad with lemon-anchovy dressing.

• annie1992
    13 years ago

This is one of my all time favorite recipes, it's best with tomatoes from the garden, of course, but pretty good no matter what.

Gratin of Zucchini & Tomatoes

Ingredients
    Â3 cloves garlic, crushed
    Â2/3 cup fresh basil leaves
    Â1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
    Â2 cups fresh whole-wheat breadcrumbs, (see Tip), divided
    Â1/2 cup finely chopped sweet onion, such as Vidalia
    Â3 large ripe tomatoes, diced
    Â1 tablespoon red-wine vinegar
    Â1/4 teaspoon salt, divided
    Â3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
    Â3 medium zucchini, (about 1 3/4 pounds total), sliced on the bias about 1/4 inch thick
    ÂFreshly ground pepper, to taste
    Â3/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
    Preparation
    1.Preheat oven to 400°F. Coat a 9-by-13-inch baking dish (or similar gratin dish) with cooking spray.
    2.Place garlic, basil and thyme on your chopping board; mince well. Spread half the breadcrumbs evenly in the prepared baking dish. Strew onion over the breadcrumbs. Distribute half the diced tomato over the onion, then sprinkle with half the garlic-herb mixture. Sprinkle with vinegar and 1/8 teaspoon salt.
    3.Heat 2 teaspoons oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add a third of the zucchini; you want it to sauté, not stew, so don't crowd it. Sauté, turning the pieces once, until golden and not quite tender, 1 to 1 1/2 minutes per side. When the slices are done, use a fork to transfer them to the gratin, overlapping the slices. Cook the remaining zucchini in two batches, each time using 2 teaspoons oil. Strew the remaining tomatoes and garlic-herb mixture over the zucchini. Season with the remaining 1/8 teaspoon salt and a grinding of pepper. Toss the remaining 1 cup breadcrumbs with the remaining 1 tablespoon oil and sprinkle over the gratin.
    4.Bake the gratin until bubbly hot, 20 to 25 minutes. Remove from the oven and immediately sprinkle with Parmesan.
    Nutrition
    Per serving : 302 Calories; 15 g Fat; 3 g Sat; 9 g Mono; 7 mg Cholesterol; 31 g Carbohydrates; 12 g Protein; 7 g Fiber; 514 mg Sodium; 885 mg Potassium

2 Carbohydrate Serving

Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch, 2 vegetable, 1/2 medium-fat protein, 2 fat

Annie (who just brought 4 MORE zucchini from the garden today)

• KatieC
    13 years ago

I just looked at my summer squash and I won't have any until August. They'll be late, but they're doing well and we'll be inundated, so please keep the recipes coming.

Halve small yellow and/or green zucchinis lengthwise, brush with oil, sprinkle with some sort of seasoning and grill.

We like them stuffed and baked, too, but I don't have a recipe. Basically, sauteed onions or shallots, garlic and scooped-out squash (diced),bread crumbs, egg, parmesan cheese and whatever herbs/spices. Sometimes we add some soaked and chopped dried tomatoes.

This is a throw together recipe...the proportions don't really matter. Really good side with grilled chicken or fish.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Mexican Zucchini

Recipe By : Katie, from Lynn L.
    Serving Size : 1 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories :

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    chopped onions
    minced garlic
    sliced zucchini
    chopped green chilies
    canned tomatoes -- drained -OR- fresh, diced tomatoes
    salsa
    corn -- fresh (cooked and cut off the cob)
    shredded cheddar cheese

This is a "to taste" recipe - the proportions aren't important. Cook vegies until the zucchini is crisp-tender. Top with cheese and heat until cheese melts.

Marymac, I've made the mock pineapple with my big yellow zucchinis. Ground using the coarse blade on my old meat grinder, it feels just like crushed pineapple in your mouth. I made a cheesecake topping with it once...no one knew.

• bunnyman
    13 years ago

I'm watching my plant close... one just about ready with 6 in the wings. Yes, just one plant.... about 4' foot across and well fertilized with bunny power.

I love my summer squash! Most will just be cubed and nuked with S&P. That is it... just warm. One of my better work lunches. No butter, no oil, hardly any work.

The other place much of it goes is chili. Chunk it up and in the pot it goes. Ahhh.... some red savina peppers coming on to go with that... along with cayenne and jalapeno/serreno.

Suppose... now I have to make a trip to the garden in the dark with a flashlight because the first one might be ready... and I'm hungry hungry for one now.

: )
    lyra

• lakemayor
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Bunnyman, I love summer squash too! But it does become a challenge to find ways to use it, especially when you have 10 plants!!!!

Marymac, would you share your Mock Pineapple recipe?

Thanks again to all for the great recipes. I will be trying everyone of them.

• laceyvail 6A, WV
    13 years ago

I recently posted this on another thread, but here it is again.

Saute garlic in pan with olive oil. Coarsely grate zucchini and lightly saute. Add yogurt and just heat. Serve large amount of zuke mix with relatively small amount of spaghetti and lots of freshly grated parmesan.

• User
    13 years ago

I love this dish. Great as a side or as a main course.

Home Cookin Chapter: Recipes From Thibeault's Table

Green Bean, Zucchini and Potato Stew (Fassolakia Iadera
    =======================================================

Adapted from: Krinos Foods

(The original recipe called for a large can of tomatoes and did not include garlic or oregano.)

Green Bean, Zucchini and Potato Stew (Fassolakia Iadera)This is a traditional vegetable mixture that is often eaten cold, accompanied by hunks of country bread and feta cheese

1/4 cup olive oil
    1 cup chopped onion
    1 clove of garlic, minced
    1 pound fresh green beans, trimmed, halved crosswise
    1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
    8 ounces zucchini, cut into 1-inch-thick slices
    8 ounces russet potatoes, peeled, cut into 1-inch cubes
    3/4 cup chopped fresh Italian parsley
    1 to 2 tablespoons fresh oregano chopped (or dried)
    1 14 ounce can of Italian-style tomatoes, chopped.
    1/2 cup chicken broth
    . Heat oil in heavy large non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Add
    onion and sauté 5 minutes.Add Garlic and green beans and sauté until
    onion is translucent, about 3 minutes. Add zucchini, potatoes, cayenne
    pepper, parsley and oregano. Pour tomatoes and their juices over
    vegetables. Add chicken broth. Bring to boil. Reduce heat. Cover and
    simmer until potatoes are tender, stirring frequently, about 45
    minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Remove from heat. Can be prepared
    1 day ahead -- cover and refrigerate. Serve warm or at room
    temperature. 6 To 8 Servings

• tmd15
    13 years ago

Zucchini patties - Shred zucchini and place in a colander to drain excess liquid (I put a plate on top and weigh it down with whatever I have on hand that's heavy to really press the liquid out). While the zuke is draining, grate some onion, finely mince a few cloves of garlic, chop some fresh basil and parsley. Beat a couple of eggs, mix in the chopped herbs, veggies and drained zucchini. Add grated parm, romano or a combination of both, a sprinkle or two of seasoned bread crumbs and a couple of spoons of flour, season with salt and pepper. The flour and bread crumbs should be added just enough to help the patties to form. The consistancy should be mostly zucchini, not filler. Drop by spoonful into hot olive oil and brown on each side. You want to make them small enough so that they will flip easily without falling apart. These are good hot or cold and also very good as a sandwich with fresh tomato, grilled on a sandwich with provolone cheese and tomato and also on a ham sandwich. I've also served them warm with fresh tomato sauce. The other is an old standby - thinly sliced zucchini sauteed with garlic in olive oil until lightly browned, seasoned with salt, pepper and fresh basil (sometimes red pepper flakes if I'm in the mood for spicy) and tossed with thin spaghetti a little more olive oil and grated parm/romano. You could also toss in some fresh diced garden tomatoes, but I usually do not cook them, just toss in before serving.

• tmd15
    13 years ago

Anne T - Thanks for posting that! My mom used to make that all the time, only she used fresh basil instead of oregano. I had forgotten all about that and have not had it in years. Sounds like that will be on the menu for the next round of zukes out of the garden. So good served with crusty Italian or French bread.

• User
    13 years ago

Here is Sol's recipe for Zucchini Pancakes.

Zucchini Pancakes
    ==================
    Sol's recipe

2 cups grated zucchini
    3 eggs, lightly beaten
    3 tablespoons melted butter (more for greasing the pan)
    3/4 cup AP flour
    1-1/2 tablespoons water
    1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
    Black Pepper and Salt to taste *
    1/2 teaspoon grated nutmeg

Serve with:

6-1/2 ounces double cream brie
    Roasted tomatoes
    2 tablespoons chopped chives

Preheat a frying pan over medium heat. Combine all pancake ingredients in a bowl, except for the water.
    Mix until smooth, then add enough water to make a thin batter (you shouldn't need more than 1 to 1 1/2 tablespoons). Mix until just combined.
    For 6-inch pancakes, add about 1/3 cup of batter to greased pan and cook 1-2 minutes per side.

Serve with double cream brie (or your favorite melting cheese), roasted tomatoes and chives.

*Add all the black pepper you like, but use a light hand with the salt, as parmesan provides some saltiness. I normally add 1/8 teaspoon salt, and find it's plenty. Enjoy.

• annie1992
    13 years ago

Oh yeah, zucchini pancakes. Sol's are excellent:

Thin Zucchini Pancakes

2 cups grated zucchini
    3 eggs, lightly beaten
    3 tablespoons melted butter (more for greasing the pan)
    3/4 cup AP flour
    1 1/2 tablespoons water
    1/3 cup grated parmesan cheese
    Black Pepper & Salt to taste *
    1/2 teaspoon grated nutmeg

Serve with:

6 1/2 ounces double cream Brie
    roasted tomatoes
    2 tablespoons chopped chives

Or stuff with crabmeat, recipe follows

Preheat a frying pan over medium heat. Combine all pancake ingredients in a bowl, except for the water. Mix until smooth, then add enough water to make a rather thin batter (you shouldn't need more than 1 to 1 1/2tablespoons water). Mix until just combined.
    For 6-inch pancakes, add about 1/3 cup of batter to greased pan and cook 1-2 minutes per side.

Serve with double cream Brie, or your favorite melting cheese (Gruyere or Fontina would also be nice), roasted tomatoes and chives.

*I add 1/8 teaspoon kosher salt, and find it salty enough for me, but adjust to your taste.

Crabmeat Stuffing

8 ounces fresh cooked crabmeat
    1 teaspoon chopped, fresh thyme
    1 teaspoon grainy mustard
    2 tablespoons sour cream
    1 tablespoon sherry vinegar
    1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
    1/2 teaspoon black pepper

Mix all ingredients together gently. If not using right away, keep the crab mixture refrigerated and bring to room temperature before you're ready to fill the zucchini pancakes. Enjoy.

Sol, where are you?

Annie

• seagrass_gw Cape Cod
    13 years ago

Some great ideas here - I'm saving this thread. We have zuchinni and summer squash coming out our ears. Giving them away to the neighbors. Only the 2 of us - can only eat so much.

So tonight I diced up 2 small to medium zuchs, a small onion, half a sweet red bell pepper and a large clove of garlic. Cooked in 2 Tbsps. of unsalted butter on high heat. Salt and pepper, then at the end put about 1/4 cup of Italian seasoned dry breadcrumbs to absorb the juices and let those brown and added about 2 Tbsps. of grated parm cheese at the end. It was yummy.

seagrass

• lakemayor
    Original Author
    13 years ago

tmd15, I just made zucchini patties last night. I topped with a dollop of sour cream and sprinkled with some dill. It was excellent! I think I might make some more tonight.

You all have given so many great recipes that I don't know which to start with. I have a friend coming to lunch tomorrow so I think I will try the green bean, zucchini and potato stew. Thanks Ann T.

• fearlessem
    13 years ago

Just chiming in here to say how much I love Ann's green bean, zucchini, and potato stew! I think you're going to like it lakemayor!

• photobob
    13 years ago

...or you could do this:

A car stopped in front of my house today. A lady got out and dropped a plastic bag on my porch, then went back to her car and drove off. When I checked it out, I found two lovely (~2.5 lb. ea.)zucchini, still warm from the sun. Didn't recognize her, or her car from the neighborhood. In any event, it's grilled zucchini steaks for dinner tonite!

Hope she remembers me when she has a surplus of 'maters and peppers.

• hawk307
    13 years ago

Lakemayor;
    I forgot about this Post. I put a Zucchini dish in WFD.
    sorry, Lou

• bunnyman
    13 years ago

Oh dear... I picked the first Saturday and there are now 8 more babies with dozens of flowers. The plant itself is still expanding! Next year everything is going on plastic tarps! This was the best garden tool I've ever found. The tarp traps heat and moisture under it. Weeds can't grow except as you see at the edges. Downside is lots of reptiles and amphibians living under that tarp... have to be careful not to step on Mr. Toad under there. If I do well I never know unless I lift the tarp.

Glad I didn't plant two squash plants! Now if the tomatoes and watermelons do as good.

{{gwi:1537957}}

• lpinkmountain
    13 years ago

You can make zuchinni pickles. Another favorite of mine is stuffed zuchinni boats. Also ratatouille, but for that to be at its best you need fresh toms, although I have made it with canned. I've had it stuffed into calzones, which can be frozen. It's passable to freeze the slices for use during the winter.

• Teresa_MN
    13 years ago

ann t - your photo of Sol's zucchini pancakes is making me hungry.

I use a Bisquick recipe that has been around for years.

2 cups shredded zucchini
    1/4 cup minced onion
    garlic powder - a dash or to taste
    1/2 cup Bisquick
    1/4 cup parmesan
    2 eggs

Beat eggs and mix in the rest of the ingredients. Fry in butter or oil of your choice. Good hot or cold.

My nieces two boys can't get enough of these.
    Salt and pepper

• jessicavanderhoff
    13 years ago

I can't keep up with all the zucchini either. I let one grow for way too long, and ended up cubing it and freezing it, which I immediately regretted upon throwing some of it in a dish and realizing it didn't taste good anymore. Had I not been stupid and done that, I would have pan fried it with onions and tomato sauce.

• Rusty
    13 years ago

I just posted a recipe on FOAS' thread "Looked interesting. . . ."

As I said there, any kind of summer squash, individually or in any combination, is good fixed that way.

Rusty

• teresa_nc7
    13 years ago

That stew recipe from Ann is one my favorites too!

Did I mention that a co-worker gave me ten (10!) immature butternut squash last week? I roasted 4 of them and froze the pulp for soup this fall. Even though they weren't ripe, the flesh still tasted good - like......butternut squash! She promised me more of them after she saw some ripe ones at the grocery store. I told her I would gladly take all the extras she had. She was given the plants and was told it was a summer squash like "zucchini" and she didn't know any better. Yay for me!

• User
    13 years ago

Stuffed Zucchini Tambourines
    ============================
    These can be made earlier in the day and heated for dinner.
    Tomato and Zucchini Tambourines
    2 zucchini
    2 tablespoons butter
    1 garlic clove, finely minced
    4 teaspoons finely minced shallots
    1 tomato diced
    Salt and pepper
    2 tablespoons parmesan cheese
    Preheat oven to 400 degrees
    Slice zucchini into 1 1/2 to 2inch chunks (little logs)
    In a saucepan filled with lightly salted boiling water, cook zucchini
    pieces for 5 minutes. Rinse under cold water and drain
    Scoop out pulp, but not too deeply,leave 1/4 to 1/2 inch bottom.
    Chop pulp and set aside.
    In a skillet, melt butter and cook zucchini pulp along with garlic,
    shallots and diced tomatoes until liquid has completely evaporated.
    Season with salt and pepper and sprinkle with parmesan cheese.
    Stuff each zucchini tambourine with filling and heat in oven for 5
    minutes and serve.

• centralcacyclist
    13 years ago

I've made these: Stuffed Zucchini Tambourines. Yummy!

Next on the list are those zucchini pancakes. OMG.

• lakemayor
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I made AnnT's "green bean, potato and zucchini stew" yesterday for a friend for lunch. We LOVED it! I can't wait to try all the other recipes you good folks have posted. We are picking 4-5 zucchini's a day. LOL

• katefisher
    13 years ago

We are really behind this year having had a lot of cold and wet weather this spring. So I harvested the first zucchini today, six medium sized ones. I decided that was reason enough to make the below recipe which I did several times last summer. Tonight though I subbed chicken sausage and leftover cooked bacon for two cups of the zucchini. Cooking now and smells great.

Kate

Here is a link that might be useful: Zucchini Cornbread Casserole

• User
    13 years ago

Here is another idea for you. I made these a couple of months ago and will probably make them again soon.

Stuffed Zucchini
    ================
    Hollow out Zucchini. Saute onions and garlic, add the ground pork, the inside of the zucchini, Arborio rice, season with dill, parsley, lemon zest, seeded and chopped tomatoes and chicken broth. Cover and simmer until the rice is almost cooked and the broth reduced. Stuff the zucchini. Place stuffed zucchini in a pan with a little chicken broth, cover and simmer until the zucchini is tender.

Avgolemono Sauce

Rather than make the traditional Avgolemono sauce enriched with eggs, I make a sauce using:

3 tablespoons butter
    3 tablespoons flour
    3 cups of chicken broth
    Salt
    Pepper
    Juice of one lemon
    Lemon zest optional

Make a roux using the butter and flour. Add the chicken broth and when the sauce is cooked add the juice of one lemon and the zest if using. Season with salt and pepper and serve over the cabbage rolls.

• dgkritch
    13 years ago

I love Baked zucchini (like fried zucchini, but easier and healthier).
    Cut zucchini into rounds or sticks about 1/2" thick.
    Dip in beaten egg, then in a flour/panko/herb/S&P coating.
    Bake on a cookie sheet until tender and lightly browned.

We also really like grilled zucchini. Cut slabs about 1/2-3/4 inch thick, toss with olive oil and kosher salt (add pepper or other seasonings if you like) and grill over high heat to just barely brown the outside (good grill marks) and the inside is still tender/crisp. Yum! Great with grilled chicken! Add some 1/4" thick potatoes prepared the same way and it's a "full meal deal".

I am waiting.........my largest squash isn't as big as my pinky yet. Well, it wasn't last night, it'll probably be the size of my wrist tonight! LOL

I've got 2 yellow, 3 zucchini this year. Should be good eating.......soon.

Deanna

• sheshebop
    13 years ago

Oh Karen, we should meet at Schnauzer's in Schoolcraft for lunch or supper sometime!
    Sherry