SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tbenjr

2017 Garden Progression Thread

tbenjr
7 years ago

I pulled back the leaves on a few beds 3/31 after work and found a layer off ice under the thicker leaf matts. I also noticed a lot of earth worms in between the soil and leaves in many places, and there was some green on my oregano plant, a lemon balm plant, and the strawberries. The 100 or so garlic is up and looks great so far.

I turned the compost pile that has been building all winter with kitchen scraps, bulk coffee grounds from various sources, wood ash, mice I trapped in the garage all fall and late winter, grouse and small game feathers, bones and hide, copious amounts of leaves, grass clippings from fall, and last year's chopped up garden clean-up waste. I was happy to find that the center of the pile was steaming and hot. The strong aroma would make any organic gardener smile and feel satisfied. After weekly turning this batch will be ready to go as a mulch around all my established plantings - probably around mid-June.

This morning I found a potted honeycrisp apple tree with great structure for $34.95 at The Home Depot, so I picked it up, along with a few other supplies. As soon as I got it home, I opened up the root ball, which was not too tight, got it in the ground, pruned it back, watered and mulched it in.

Across my four dedicated tomato beds I buried a couple washtubs of fish remains I had frozen from the past darkhouse spearing and ice fishing season. The smell in this particular case was also satisfying knowing it portends good future growth prospects therein, and that no part of any of the fish we have been eating will go to waste.

Then I raked out, and leveled the soil in 2 of my 25 beds. It got up to the mid sixties this afternoon so the exposed black soil warmed quickly. I noticed some small buds opening on my raspberries by dinner time.

Last year I planted my early bed in mid-march (my earliest ever), so I decided that it was time to plant a mix of buttercrunch, romaine, red romaine, spinach, kale, chard and several varieties of radishes.

In the other bed I put in about 200 red, white and yellow onion bulbs.

Then I built a new bed in the 15' span between two of my dwarf apple trees. To do this, I put down a layer of cardboard over the lawn, and then covered it all with bags of leaves to form an impenetrable mulch layer. Later I will add a layer of compost and plant right into that. I think this will be dedicated to three different types of zucchini this season.

I plan on putting in a few rows of peas tomorrow.

The garden up north at our old homestead in zone 3 will have to wait until late April to get a few things going. There was still a lot of snow covering everything there this past week.

It will probably snow again even here in the metro, but 2017 is already off to a good start. I would love to hear what others have been up to in MN, or anywhere else for that matter!

If others chime in and share, maybe we can keep this thread going all season long and learn a few things from one another. I really have no idea how many folks read, or let alone post on this forum, but thought I would try to start something anyways.

Comments (12)

Sponsored
Miller Woodworks
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
Franklin County's Trusted Custom Cabinetry Solutions