SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
shebabee

San Jose Heritage Rose Garden visit; and, What rose is this?

shebabee
7 years ago

Rose mavens,

Last week, I made my first-ever visit to the San Jose Heritage Rose Garden. Let me say, WOW. Even at this time of summer, it was a revelation. I spent four or five hours visiting with the roses. I fell in love with an awful lot of roses . . . and can't wait to go again and especially next spring for the big blooming of the old roses. This was really my first experience of meeting more than just a couple of old roses--unbelievable beauty and perfume--sigh!

I found one lovely rose (photo below) without a label. It was just around the corner from the gorgeous and amazingly fragrant Portland from Glendora--the one that's at the end of the row (I think row 10). I'm sure many of you could ID this rose in a flash; please enlighten me! Lovely sweet scent, petals that looked so sheer and delicate, and gorgeous form. Small, maybe 3' tall. (I looked over the SJHRG rose listing on the website, trying to find something likely planted in the general vicinity, and my best guess is Mlle. Blanche Lafitte, but I am a total beginner at roses.)

1. What is this rose?:

And here are a few other photos I took that day:

2. Portland from Glendora (drool!):

I took some pix and can't now recall who they are--I was overwhelmed! (These were all clearly labeled.)

3.:

4.:

5. Hips of -- whom?:

6.:

I admired this "found" rose, "Corner, Church & Main." I photographed the sign as a reminder, and, I thought, the rose; possibly the rose above is this rose? (Some of my pix didn't come out and were deleted.) I also thought this was the loveliest dedication I saw at the garden.:

Sheba

Comments (8)