SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
emma1420

Site finished and Pre-finished hardwood floors

emma1420
7 years ago

I recently moved into a new house that has hardwood in the kitchen (the hardwood is pretty beat-up) that opens up to a carpeted dining room. I would love to replace the carpet in the dining area with pre-finished engineered hardwood floor, but I'm not sure what to do with the existing site-finished hardwood floors in the kitchen.

I really don't want to install site finished sold hardwood floors in the dining room as the finishing process takes days and is messy (I went through with my last house and I swore I'd never go through it again). However, putting down pre-finished engineered hardwood next to site finished hardwood is going to look silly. Ideally, I'd like the same flooring surface in both the kitchen and dining room. So I figure that my options are the following:

1. Tear up the floors in the kitchen and put down new engineered hardwood.

2. Lay the new flooring over the top of the existing hardwood floors.

3. Suck it up and install solid hardwood floors in the dining area and then finish and restain the kitchen and dining room.

So I was wondering if any one had an options I had not considered? I'm looking for the most cost effective yet reasonably mess free solution.

Comments (7)