SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rosefolly

Rethinking drip irrigation

Rosefolly
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

My DH and I converted about 2/3 of the garden to drip last year in an effort to reduce our water usage. We did save water, but I don't know if it was actually the drip or the fact that I cut back on watering frequency. In any case we have decided to convert back to spray irrigation. We'll save as much water as we can by shrinking the garden a bit more. We will keep drip for the tomato beds.

Why? Drip is simply not robust enough for our conditions. I step on it and break the manifolds. The dogs chew the spaghetti lines into shreds and rip it out of the ground for a game. Squirrels and other rodents eat the lines, too. Frankly, it is just too fragile. Tomorrow is the first of August and I still have not completely finished repairing the winter destruction of our water system. I'm doing a lot of supplemental hand watering and surely that must be wasteful.

So now we'll have shrubblers for the fruit trees and spray for the ornamental beds, with drip on the tomato beds. And I will have more time to actually enjoy working with my plants.

Comments (21)

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!