SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_500825108

Can we discuss drip irrigation some more please?

bart bart
9 months ago

This summer, I've been working on setting up my first drip irrigation system. It's been challenging.

I bought a cheap kit on Amazon to get me started. This is sold specifically as being adapted to using with rain-harvesting tanks (i.e., WITHOUT the "running water"that most homes have ), so I knew there was a good chance of it actually working. Setting it up was hard (word of advice to anyone else who wants to get started with a project like this. DO IT BEFORE SUMMER HEAT ARRIVES!!!!!!!!!!!), especially since my tanks don't have conventional faucet connections. Now, finally, it seems to work!-sort of. I think I should add four more drip lines. I also have a lot of leakage issues. Now, the leaks at the top of the drip line are only a relative problem; if I block them fairly well the system still works. However, I also have leaks up at the tank's faucet, which is a waste of water. I've managed to seal them up for the most part, but not completely, for there remains leakage from the filter. Probably I'll just set the filter in a bowl to collect the leaking water. I think the concept of the connections of this system is rather defective; the instructions say to use Teflon, but the T- connectors only have very shallow grooves in them, so the Teflon isn't very effective. Worse yet, I didn't realize that you have to wind the Teflon in a specific direction! but even if I had known this, I think it would have been very difficult for me to figure it out (I have trouble with concieving things like "clockwise" and "counter-clockwise", and even "right" and "left"...) Right now I'm way too burnt out to take it apart and re-do it; in any case my plan is to replace this flimsy system with something more robust, but not until I feel confident that I know what I'm doing. This is a starter kit for me-a learning tool. In fact, I went ahead and started constructing a second drip system from another tank,using hoses that I already have, plus the left-over drip line from the kit. And, peeps, not to brag but last time I was out there I tried it and I think it will work! there are leaks, but at the top of the line, so not much of a problem. I still have a lot to learn about water pressure ,but I'm feeling more optimistic.

Now, I have some questions for those of you who are old hands at this. First of all, how many years old does a rose have to be before you can safely quit hand-watering and rely only on drip? And secondly, is it better to go for a system with emitters, or is a ssimple system with just holes in the hose adequate? In public places around here I just see the rigid hoses , presumeably with holes in them. Also, I read on Internet that for sharply sloping land like mine, a system with emitters that permit you to regulate the water pressure is best,but is it necessary to get that complicated? Keep in mind that I do NOT aim to have a rose garden constantly full of flowers, or anything of the sort; mine is a wild garden out in a woods, far from my home. All I aim for is to provide somewhat better conditions for my new implants, that seem to struggle in order to become established now that the climate has become so hostile. Any comments are most welcome!

Comments (14)