SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
annie1992_gw

The Princess Cheers (not food related, unless you count SC seafood)

annie1992
7 years ago

Yes, I adore my grandchildren. So much that I rode for two days in the front of a semi-truck pulling a 38 foot camper, so I could watch the Princess compete in the National Cheerleading/Dance competitions.

Three adults, two kids and a Golden Retriever packed up and left town. We drove through the mountains, had a flat tire on the camper in North Carolina, another in South Carolina and one in Kentucky coming back. We lost the windshield wiper motor in the middle of a rainstorm in West Virginia. We finally limped into Myrtle Beach, rented a black and chrome Challenger (yeah, I know, but I couldn't help myself, LOL) and collapsed. The Princess and her Dad took a helicopter ride, Amanda and Bud rode in a Nascar pace car, we tooled up and down the beach in a golf cart, which is allowed on all streets there which have no more than two lanes. We ate seafood at an all you can eat seafood buffet, although it really wasn't much better than we get here, I'm assuming it's all "institutional food". I did get one amazing flounder sandwich at the small cafe at the KOA campground and Bud touched a shark at the Aquarium. Amanda and the Princess both got stung by jellyfish while swimming. I've never had a positive contact with the ocean, nor has Amanda. Something in there always wants to sting me, bite me or eat me. (sigh) From sharks to stingrays to jellyfish to eels, there's always something.

The flounder was worth it all, though. Bud wanted fried dill pickles so I got that on the side and he ate those with his hot dog. Yeah, we're right at the ocean and he eats a hot dog. (sigh) I threw the bun out and ate the fish, it was SOOOO good. See, now it's food related.....

So, the competition. The girls were ready, they weren't even nervous, although their coach was. Although teams from our town have previously qualified for the Nationals, none have ever placed. 122 teams were in the bracket with the Princess. That is her in the front row, with her hands on her knees.

They cheered, they danced. They did back walkovers and splits and front flips and baskets and scorpions and a bunch of other things I don't know what they were called. They got a "Club Zero" award for having no deductions for faults, but teams have done that before and not placed. So, was it good enough? They have five chances out of 122, and The Princess was relaxed, confident.

So, counting down, in 5th place, from Michigan.......Big Rapids! Her coach cried, the Moms cried, even Bud cheered for his sister.

They got medals and pins, pats on the back, see ya next year in Las Vegas. The next morning we returned the Challenger and left town. The only thing we have left is a picture of the Princess in front of it. Well, that and the memory of the security guard coming into the laundry room at the KOA and asking who was driving the "hot rod". I promptly said "it's mine". About three people cracked up and made remarks about the "hot rod" belonging to Grandma. (grin)

We had a flat tire before we left South Carolina, and that third one in Kentucky. We missed the water park we had booked a campsite at so the kids could play, because of the flat tire. 11 hours on the road the next day and we were home.

I promptly hit the garden and started a batch of sweet pickles and canned 20 quarts of green beans, the garden waits for no one!

I told The Princess that if she went to Vegas next year, she needed to take the "other" Grandma, there's not a single chance I'm ever going to Vegas again, no matter how much I love her.

Annie

Comments (18)