SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ahhhderrr

New lawn problems - my fault or the gardeners?

ahhhderrr
7 years ago

Zone 7, New York city. Bought a house with neglected lawn, hired someone to clean, level, and lay down new grass seed in April. He didn't give me any watering instructions, but luckily this coincided with frequent rain for 2-3 weeks so most of the grass sprouted just fine, with a few bald patches and some dandelions here and there.

I have been watering once or twice a week, about an hour each time, and depending on the weather. If it rains then I don't water, if it's a stretch of hot days then I water a little more. The gardener has been mowing the lawn almost every week, and sprinkles fertilizer every once in a while. All seemed ok, except for bald patches that are still bald, random dandelions, some clovers and some what I believe to be crabgrass on the flower beds.

Fast forward to last weekend, and suddenly the crabgrass has taken over half the lawn, and mushrooms are sprouting everywhere. It has been particularly humid the last 2 weeks and rained a few times. This half gets the most sun, while the "normal" grass half gets afternoon shade from a tree.

i called up the gardener and complained about the weeds and asked what he would do. He said he could spray, but the summer weather would be too hot for new seeds and to not do anything until September.

Is this the correct approach? Was it his slip-up for not controlling the crabgrass to begin with, or it was inevitable due to new grass seed mix? Or was it my mistake for irregular watering?

Will the crabgrass takeover the yard completely? Is it even crabgrass?

Will I have to -completely- start over in the fall? If so then I may just cough up the extra expense for sod.

Are the mushrooms "normal"? I read people say they are good for soil, but I do not see them on any neighboring lawns, but then again everyone else has established lawns.

Does his guy seem like he knows what he's doing, or should I hire someone else (perhaps the same crew that the rest of my block hires)?

help a newbie out! Thanks.

Comments (4)

Sponsored
A.I.S. Renovations Ltd.
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars15 Reviews
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County