SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
s_muncher

care for my new lawn(s)

s.muncher
10 years ago

As a 1st time homeowner, I am completely ignorant of how to deal with my lawn(s) and have a few issues...

I put new hardscape in the front yard, re-did the sprinklers, and laid sod - Dwarf Tall Fescue (Festuca Arundinacea). On the areas that are shaded by a large tree, the grass is growing well (and I'm getting used to my lawnmower). On the part that gets full sun for most of the day, the growth is VERY slow and some parts are thinning. Watering is done every other day for 8 minutes on the shady side and 15 minutes in the sunny area.

Another issue is in the backyard where I pulled out some old hardscape, placed sprinklers, and spread seed (same grass as in front). It has been a few months and the grass is coming up acceptably with (as expected) a number of weeds. I've spot treated the weeds to kill them (& gotten a bit of overspray on the surrounding grass). I was intending to get some more seed into these areas but would like to incorporate this with the solution to another problem. I'm not happy with the grading that was done before the seed was spread - there are places that it's easy to trip in! I was wondering if it might be work to go over the lawn with some sort of enriched soil to fill in low spots. It might be ugly for a while but wouldn't my existing grass come up through this thin topping/levelling layer? I could even add more seed at this point to help with the issue of the dead grass from the aforementioned weed treatment.

Comments or recommendations?

Comment