SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nikthegreek_gw

Help me select one more rose for a bed

nikthegreek
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

I'm planning to completely redo a raised bed which is in a very prominent position, right on the side of my stoned steps on the side of the house. Whatever is there (mostly some hybiscuses suffering from chlorosis) will be uprooted, the soil will be dug, burried limestone rocks will be dug out and the soil will be heavily ammended. It is a major operation which I don't know if I will actually manage to do this year fund and effort wise but planning helps me pass these hot summer days..

Anyhow, this is not a large bed and I can only fit about 4 medium large roses in there. I want them to be healthy, floriferous and smelly.. (who doesn't) as they will be just by the main walkway of my house.

I was thinking of planting my potted Blush Noisette and Nastarana (Beales type) at the back giving them the option to climb up the side of the house if they want or grow as large bushes. To the front of them I was thinking of planting my SdlM and I will have place for one more rose by the side of it.

Can you think of a shrub rose similar in dimensions to SdlM that could fit in that spot? It has to be fragrant, wafting if possible, repeating and relatively floriferous during summer, of a pale colour that would fit the others and healthy. The bed is protected from the wind, quite warm and receiving sun from morning to early afternoon. Soil will be good but somewhat alkaline and watering adequate in my warm med climate.

A smaller Tea, an Austin, another modern shrub or something else? Extreme mildew magnets are out (I was afraid SdlM would be one but it seems she's only mildly affected during our spring and fall). Or, I can take the easy option and order a second SdlM or one of its sports (real or not)..

Did I tell you I'm impressed by my young potted SdlM which is blooming its head off right through these unnaturally hot days we have been having?

Comments (10)