SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dmg2242

Please help me plan my rose bed...looong

dmg2242
16 years ago

{{gwi:236975}}

First of all, please excuse the dog toy and dog poop in this picture... :)

I'm having another tier of raised bed put in this bed. It'll be half moon shaped like this bed only against the back of the fence. There used to be a 25 foot Bradford Pear next to Don Juan and it fell over in last Spring's many rain/wind storms we had. The stump/roots (the big pot is sitting on the stump) are left and so I can't do much at all in that area. So the raised bed will stretch from Don Juan on the far left to the right side of the bed to cover the stump.

This will give me lots more room for roses--what else?

I lost alot of privacy when that tree fell, but gained alot of sunshine for my roses, so that's good. I'd like to put a couple of monster climbers against the back fence, along with some clematis, and hopefully regain some privacy. I'm still considering color schemes. New Dawn is planted to the far right and toward the front of the bed and will grow up the taller right side of the fence. In front is Tahitian Sunset (no BS believe it or not), Ingrid Bergman (BS victim), and Julia Child (she has some BS too) on the far right.

I'm thinking of replacing Don Juan (BS factory this year) and Ingrid Bergman. This would leave me with Tahitian Sunset (peach color) and Julia Child (yellow) and New Dawn (pink/white). Should I replace Don Juan with another red climber, like Cl. Cramoisi Superieur or...maybe a Westerland where DJ is and a multi peachy pink climber (maybe Aloha/Kordes or Portlandia) on the right to blend with New Dawn. I'm drawn to peaches, yellows, multi's--warm colors. I love looking at the beautiful antique light pinks, but this bed faces the west and I'm afraid they would all look a little shabby and burned in the heat. I hope New Dawn can hold her own in this bed.

I'm trying to make my way over to the antique rose world, but have collected quite a few ht's and floribundas and can't bring myself to get rid of them all quite yet. Julia Child is usually so healthy and I'm amazed that Tahitian Sunset is still clean standing in front of a totally BS infected Don Juan and next to another totally infected Ingrid Berman.

My goal is to create a rose bed that can take the Dallas heat/humidity--and I want it to look gorgeous and smell good, too. :) Is that asking too much?

I would be sooooo grateful for your input/ideas. Thanks for reading this far!

Denise

Comments (9)