SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
librarian_gardner_8b_pnw

Help me plan & please share your favorite fragrant purple/mauve roses

librarian_gardner_8b_pnw
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

I'm new to roses (grew only Mme Hardy for a few years until this last spring when I planted 3 Austins). This fall planted more roses in some multicolored groupings in my back yard (pinks, whites, apricots mostly). This week I happened upon a mention of Reine des Violettes in another thread and after a little internet searching fell in love with her and Rose de Resht.

So now I'm thinking about making new rose bed next year in my front yard, along the street. This area is west facing and would get lots of sun in the winter/spring, and mostly afternoon sun in the summer (shaded in the morning by cherry trees). I live in the Willamette Valley, Oregon (the wet side of the state).

I'd love to design the bed with mostly purple/mauve roses (and perhaps some complimentary colors). I'm also considering planting one or two once bloomers, especially if they are disease resistant, very fragrant and set colorful hips. Beautiful fall color leaves would be considered a bonus! Currently in my garden, the only rose that has fall color is Mme Hardy (yellow) and she is also the only rose who has dropped her leaves. My Austins have pretty much all of their foliage, still!

I much appreciate all of your opinions and wisdom. I've learned so much from this forum just as a quiet observer.

Does anyone have experience with the following roses?

Reine des Violettes

Rose de Rescht

Belle de Crecy (once blooming--does this set hips?)

La Belle Sultane (once blooming and it looks like the hips are lovely on this one)

Mme Isaac Pereire (I know she's more pink--and maybe she gets too big for the space...?)

Ebb Tide

Twilight Zone

Do you have other recommendations?

I'm looking putting in about 7 plants.

Thanks so much!

Comments (29)

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH