SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ninkasi

Roses for a healing garden, rose selection please help

Ninkasi
9 years ago

If you could only enjoy one last season of your favorite roses, what would you choose?

My mom has been diagnosed with an inoperable and incurable brain cancer and will be housebound for treatment. I wanted to plant a few roses for her and my dad to enjoy at home for the months she has left (they are estimating a year). I know its not the time to be buying and planting roses, but they live in Phoenix, Arizona and I am coming out there to give it a try and make something beautiful with whatever potted varieties that I can round up.

They have really enjoyed the pictures of my roses, as they never have grown any because they didn't think they could in their environment. Because of this forum, I know its possible to grow roses almost anywhere if you choose the right ones. They have people to care for the plants, and I know how comforting and special it will be for her to have beautiful blooms to enjoy at home. I just have no idea what kind will work in Arizona. I grow mainly Kordes and Tantau roses as well as some antique varieties, but in a much different climate. I found this http://roses4az-mevrs.org/wp-content/uploads/Best-Roses-for-Arizona.pdf paper suggesting varieties and I wanted to get some alternative opinions about those listed that are also available potted in stock at the Antique Rose Emporium.

Any ideas of some roses to choose? I would prefer scented/repeating varieties. What about Abraham Darby? Baronne Prevost?

I would appreciate any thoughts/ideas you may have. I am open to anything to make this a success for her. Antiques/moderns
Thanks for reading,
Nin

Comments (11)