SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
serenasyh

please emergency help! 1st-time gardener-killed tree rose???

serenasyh
15 years ago

please heeeelp! I am from Kansas City who has never planted a thing in my life except for one beautiful orchidLast night there was a huge blasting frozen rain with wind!!! By the time I got off of work (26 miles away) by then, the closest garden center to me was closed and out of sheer desperation, I tied an extra, plastic garment retail bag over the tree roses (I have two) both! of which had fallen to the ground... And desperately tried to prop them up against 2 detached swiffer mop handles and tried to tie the ends together...but the following day they had again fallen over and I was drenched with snow and freezing rain Â. I rushed to the garden center for advice and to get stakes and netting and mulch for them, that is to the extent of how stupid and ignorant I am... again, I am a 1st time gardener, no common sense, not knowing that weÂd have torrents of ice at this time of year when just last week it was near 70 degree weather I am soooo upset these tree roses were put out by Costco a good 3 weeks ago, and I planted mine 2 weeks ago They had just started to have little buds on the upper part and I was sooooo thrilled Now I feel sick! To my stomach that I may have killed the entire plants The lady at the garden center was fuming that Costco would put out the tree roses so early in the year and that they would not leave behind instructions as to how to care for them She said never ever would she bring out tree roses until May she said the best thing for me to do would be to redig them up and put them in my garage, and she very thoughtfully sent me packing with the ideal rose soil mix and freebie pots and the water nourisherÂ. My question and confusion is that are there any emergency things I can do to help my two tree roses? Since theyÂve already budded, canÂt I bring them into my house? My house is only 70 degrees (relatively cool)Â.. The garden center lady said that itÂd probably be too much of a shock for the roses if they hadnÂt come from a greenhouse, but these roses have been grown indoors it seems, also the other accompanying rose trees (not mine)Âhad likewise sprouted in the "indoors of Costco" whereas mine at the time just had very healthy looking green stems plus I forgot!!! to mention to the garden lady that my roses had already budded and look like they were just on the verge of sprouting I have put the light on in my garage so that the roses would at least have a light source but I am sooo tempted to bring them into my cool house so that they can heal and recover please note that my roses had two plastic bags each before the killing ice occurred one bag is much shorter and kept the roses dry before the rain hit, because I noticed it was getting quite cold, and the 2nd bag the long garment bag came over that shorter bag-that bag may be a bit more damp because I was tying it during the blasting rain Both are of clear plastic so that I thought (stupid me) that at least daylight could still reach the plants would it be such a bad thing to bring my roses into my house since theyÂve already been exposed to sunlight and had already started budding? Please any emergency advice would be so appreciated! I tried googling for "rescuing frost-damaged tree roses" but couldnÂt find anything! Obviously no one is as stupid as meÂ. (so sad)Âand I am coming here in screeching panicÂ

Comments (30)