SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
okiedawn1

Well, Excuse Me! I Thought It Was Summer Time....

Okiedawn OK Zone 7
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

Did I miss something? Did summer fly by and autumn arrived and now winter lurks right around the corner? Did I spend so much time in the garden that I woke up in the wrong place and wrong time like Rip Van Winkle? Is it still June? June 2016?

Do you wonder what is wrong with me and why I'm ranting and raving?

Well, apparently while I was picking cucumbers and pickling them, and picking tomatoes and salsa-ing them, and picking plums and peaches and jamming and jellying them, the whole calendar year flew right by and I didn't even notice. Is this a case of losing my mind and losing track of the months while gardening? This must be the case because I had to go to an actual store in an actual mall (something I avoid most of the time unless doing holiday shopping) and I walked into a Hobby Lobby store in Ardmore. I do love Hobby Lobby, but....

After I went to the one row of Fourth of July decorations and supplies that was left (if ever they had more than one row), and found what we needed, I rounded the corner to the next aisle and discovered autumn decor. Several aisles of it. Oh dear, and here I thought it was June but apparently it must be September or October. It was quite disconcerting, but then I made peace with it, having noticed long ago that all the stores push the next season's merchandise upon shoppers far too early. I still wasn't happy, though, and wish they could just let summer be summer and not try to make us think it is almost autumn. So, I kept walking a little further because I needed to go to a section near the back of the store, and I found.....

Christmas! Yes, Christmas. They were putting out winter holiday decorations, specifically Christmas tree ornaments. Really? While we are dealing with June heat, squash pests, warm-season harvests, canning and other forms of preserving, beastly heat, gardens that need to be watered and mosquitoes and are looking forward with great anticipation to our first home-grown watermelon of the year, they want to divert our attention to whatever Christmas ornaments they're going to sell for 2016? (sigh)

Call me old-fashioned and hopelessly out of touch, but I want to be in the garden in June, not in a store that wants me to think about, and spend money on, items to celebrate seasonal holidays that remain months and months away. These retailers may be eager to usher in shopping for the next season, but I prefer to live in the present, sweating and toiling in the hot garden while cooler weather, and the need for autumn or winter decoration remains far away in the distant future.

Then we had to go into a Wal-Mart store for something, and I thought I'd look for some sleeveless shirts to make the heat a little more bearable. Well, it is a good thing I wanted to buy them now, because they already are going on clearance so the stores can get rid of them to make room for back-to-school clothing, including long-sleeved shirts. I guess if you need to buy summer shirts in July or August, you're in trouble because they'll all be gone by then and you'll have to hunt for the last lonely short-sleeved shirts crammed onto Final Clearance racks, surrounded by coats and sweater.....Because we all are shopping for long sleeved autumn and winter shirts in June? I walked by those racks of long-sleeved autumn clothes wondering when the retail world lost touch with reality.

No wonder I prefer to spend my days in the garden and in the kitchen, where I always know exactly which season it is in the real world that is our life in Oklahoma in the summertime. I was relieved to get back home to my garden yesterday afternoon, back to the place where it felt like 100+ degrees, the skeeters were biting and summer produce beckoned, wanting to be harvested now while it is at the peak of perfection. It's good to spend June doing June things...and now my rant is over.

Dawn

Comments (10)