SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mossfrost

Need help saving my oak sapling, please!

mossfrost
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

While weeding my flowerbeds this spring I came across an oak sapling about four inches tall with a full set of leaves. I believe it came from my red oak, but there are also various scrub oaks towards the back of my property, so I'm not positive as to which species it is. Naturally I couldn't keep it in my flower bed, but I didn't want to kill it so I transplanted it into a two quart container until I can determine what kind of oak it is and therefore where to plant it. Immediately after the leaves began to turn brown and die (this was during May when it rained nearly every day) I had put the pot in a shady area to keep the heat off, but once it started dying I moved it to full sun thinking it wasn't getting enough. After that a new set of leaves began to grow, but they too have begun to turn brown and die. Recently the weather has gotten extremely dry and hot, and I'm not home often enough to keep it watered on a specific schedule, but I usually water it every two to three days when home. To compensate I put some rocks on the soil to shield it from the hot sun, and after a bit of researching moved it to a part-sun area to keep the blistering heat off. None of the leaves have totally died, each one has a small section of the center still living. I had started to assume I was losing it, but the stem is still flexible and a couple days ago a third set of leaves started developing. In hindsight I understand that I moved it at a bad time and into a bad container, but I don't think it would be good to transplant it again until it goes dormant in the winter, when I plan to move it into the ground. I want to save this guy if at all possible but I'm not sure what's wrong or how to fix it.

Any advice is greatly appreciated! I live in the DFW area.

Comments (4)