SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dizzy149

Suggestions for Basement Bathroom Renovation

dizzy149
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

The bathroom in my basement is currently a little odd. The previous owners turned a bedroom into a storage/utility room with a shower. There is a half bath just outside of the room. It has a toilet and a vanity. As you can see from the pic if you are sitting on the toilet your knees hit the radiator.

My son will be a teenager next year, and I'd like to revert that room to a bedroom, but without having the shower IN the room like it is now. I would like for him to have his own bathroom, but still have it accessible/usable without having to go through the bedroom.

Here is the basic layout:

The top area is the bedroom, and the lower area is my office.

Here is a REALLY bad depiction of my proposed reno. Super simple. Close up the shower opening to the bedroom and open an entry on the side. Build a wall across the hall from the shower to the half bath and put a door in it. Then it's like a Jack-n-Jill. It doesn't fix the fact that my knees hit the radiator when I sit down, but it's a start.

I am going to remove the closet. If I can move things around a bit and get more space for the toilet and vanity I'd like to do that. The water lines are in the wall between the closet and half-bath. They are OLD OLD OLD lines, so I'm not opposed to replacing them and moving them. I can't move the toilet drain, but if I can turn the toilet I think it would be good. The sink drain goes into the wall, so I am assuming the drain goes into the floor there.

My original plan was to move the shower into the closet area and turn the old shower into a closet. But it was going to be like $6k in concrete and plumbling to move lines... So that's not happening.

Any and all suggestions are greatly appreciated!

-Dizzy

Comment