SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bananbean

Help with Master Bathroom Renovation (with Washer & Dryer)

bananbean
6 years ago

Hi everyone! About 6 years ago, the master bath in my house was
re-done, and at the time I really liked how it turned out. But now that
I've been living with it, there are a lot of problems and I realized that it's not a great set-up for what I want/need.

Here's the rather dated before:

The hall and closet were removed to make the bathroom larger. Here's the current layout:

For starters, the workmanship was terrible. The floor tiles aren't flat and there have been cracks since they were installed, the door doesn't latch, the walls are curvy at the corners, the toilet has leaked since day one, there's a 5 inch gap between the back of the toilet and the wall, the sink is ridiculously tiny, the shower walls have giant gaps at the corners that are nearly impossible to caulk (over 1/4 inch in some places), and the tub corners slope against the wall so water pools and doesn't drain. There's a lot going on!

As for changes, I don't need a tub - I don't take baths and the tub is so shallow that it's pretty pointless. There is another tub in the house, so I'd like to get rid of this one and replace it with a steam shower. I also want to add a stacked washer/dryer. My bedroom is on the 3rd floor and the basement is completely uninhabitable (unless you have more than 4 legs - we don't go down there - lol), so I'd like to have a washer/dryer up where I actually live. Right now I have a portable washing machine that hooks up to my sink faucet and drains into the tub - hardly ideal.

I'm a little stuck about what to do, largely because of the window placement. The house is over 100 years old and is historically protected, so moving the window isn't really an option. Beyond that, I'm open to pretty much everything. This is my first go at a new layout:

Any advice and suggestions are greatly appreciated! Thank you!!

Comments (16)