SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
okiedawn1

We Had A Grass Fire Last Week, Surprise Surprise, Surprise

On Saturday, we got paged out to a grass fire on the cross street that's about 1/3 mile from our home. The fire was on that road, but roughly a mile east of our road. We weren't even here---we were down at my Mom's house, but we received the fire page on our VFD phone app. To me, because of where the fire seemed to have started, it might have been started by arcing power lines or a fried squirrel tossed off those lines or something, and the fire did move very slowly, burning in mixed green/dry grasses.

Does it seem crazy that one week after we had 6" of rain, the grass was on fire? It sure seems crazy to me. I have seen stranger things (a grass fire in an ice-covered pasture after a power line broke, melted the ice, and started the frozen grass on fire) but not often.

So, I've been watching the plants in our yard, woods and pasture, trying to determine if I think they are dry enough to burn. You know what? In some places, I think they are. This surprises me.

Do I blame this on our clay soils? Maybe. The same soil that was muddy and had puddles standing everywhere from rain that fell the first week in June is now dry and cracked, and some plants in that pasture (often, but not necessarily always, cool-season ones) are browning out already. It is a really quick change from flooding and green vegetation to a grass fire and lots of dry vegetation.

I think our weather gets more strange every year.

Comments (5)