SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
spaghetina

A surprise from last year (pics)

spaghetina
13 years ago

Today's weather was perfect for prepping yet another garden bed that I'd been putting off doing, so I headed out. Rather than compost the kale that'd been slowly growing, I thought I'd yank it and see if it could be transplanted elsewhere. I looked around the backyard, trying to see if I had any pots with acceptable dirt, and settled on my failed potato tote from last year. As I started loosening up the soil, my fingers hit something hard. As I dug around the lump, a potato was revealed. I screamed. (And ok, I jumped up and down too.) I dug around a bit more, and found a few more potatoes that indicated that the first one wasn't a total fluke.

The amazing thing is, I planted my crappy seed potatoes really, really late last year - probably around late September or October, just wanting to see if anything would happen. They were leftovers from a bag I got at the grocery store that had sprouted, so I stuck a couple pieces in a leftover SWC discard, and figured I'd give it a shot. When winter came, the greens were only around a foot tall, and hadn't flowered yet, and then they were killed off by frost in December, so since they hadn't flowered, I figured there was no way there had been enough time for any potatoes to grow. I actually remember thinking that even if there were potatoes, they'd probably be rotten with all the rain we had.

I guess I was wrong on all accounts! Granted, I only got a handful, and a small handful at that, but considering it was totally experimental, way too late, and on a whim with nothing but junk, I'm insanely excited! Now I wish I'd picked up some seed potatoes to try this summer, but seeing as how I didn't start those until the end of summer, I'm thinking maybe I actually have some time.

This is easily the most exciting thing that's happened to me all week.

{{gwi:56506}}

{{gwi:56507}}

{{gwi:56508}}

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Yellowlite
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars7 Reviews
Chicago's Leading Clean Energy & Solar Panel Provider