SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_21882779

Strange year

User
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

I have fall blooming plants blooming in June. Actually it started earlier in mid May. Mine is a prairie garden and this year is just off. The Little Bluestem is putting up seed stalks and those are now starting to open with fluffy seed. Indian grass, which usually blooms in late summer is putting up stalks and so is Muhlenbergia riverchonni which always blooms in August.

I have a Rabbit Bush from New Mexico that is covered in buds which are opening up yellow. A well known quote from NM: "You know its fall in the SW when the Rabbit Bush blooms".

The Liatris are putting up bloom stalks and are forming flower buds.

Ironweed has already bloomed and is past its prime.

Muhlenbergia 'Flamingo' which always blooms in September is getting pink blooms and the Gulf muhly is putting up some pink blooms as well.

Autumn Sedum buds are getting ready to open and turn pink.

West Texas Grass Sage has sent up stalks and those have buds, it normally blooms in September. Big Texas Sage is blooming two months early.

I keep checking the forum to see if anyone else been experiencing this strangeness and haven't seen any comments but its gotten so out of hand I just have to ask because my yard can't be the only one. I have never seen this happen before. I wonder what fall will be like? The spring/summer plants are blooming normally but this 'Fall in Spring' thing is throwing me.

Comments (8)