SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
share_oh

Do I have recourse against someone who broke something during showing?

share_oh
7 years ago

My house is for sale, vacant. Got a full price offer on it yesterday - hooray! But going over to the house today we discovered the tension wires for the garage door were broken! There was a showing yesterday afternoon (not the people who made the offer later in the day).

My husband was there doing yard work and left before anyone showed up. He only has a garage door opener to get in and out of the house and he definitely would've seen the door come crashing down if the tension wires had broke when he closed the door.

The house has only been on the market for a week with usually 2 showings per day... each time the realtor has left their business card on the kitchen counter. Yesterday I put all of them in a kitchen drawer. Today I saw the realtor from yesterday did not leave a card. It makes me suspicious that he/she did not attend the showing with their client.

I understand things can break. What has me livid is the fact they didn't bother to call my listing agent and tell her what had happened. It furthers my instinct that their agent was not there with them.

I called my agent and left her a vm. I told her I want the lock box combo changed immediately. She feels that sometimes agents forget to leave cards... maybe so, but no one else has so far.

So while I wait to hear back from her, I am wondering if there's any recourse for me to get someone to pay for this repair? My home inspection is in a week and I want it done before then of course.

At the least I want the agent's name and company name and I will let my agent know that he/she is not welcomed to show my house again. I'm hopeful the deal will go through with the buyer I have and I won't have to worry about it. But in the meantime, I don't want this person back in.

Comments (24)