SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bossyvossy

Using pink in a man's bedroom, can it be done?

bossyvossy
7 years ago

your challenge is to post a pic of a man's bedroom with pink elements. Just a regular guy, not gay, not homophobic either.

Comments (39)

• bpath
    7 years ago

Hmm,not a couple's bedroom, but specifically a man's bedroom?

• MtnRdRedux
    7 years ago

Can he be Indian? If so no problem.

• Related Discussions

I chose pink drapes for a guest bedroom, grr!! - Need color advic

Q

Comments (66)
    I erroneously selected a outwardly pink color for my attic office and when I returned home that night I hated it. My painter suggested one of BMs whites with pink undertone - Atrium white - and it was perfect. Should have checked with him BEFORE he painted as he was back changing it the next day. The point I am trying to make is that if you go for a pink, the most subtle color on a strip may end up being too much. Such was the case with my first choice which ended up looking like Pepto Bismol. Sue
    ...See More

Need help with young man's bedroom ,please

Q

Comments (11)
    "DSes"=Dear Sons. LOL. Thank you, both. Why didn't I think of Jonathan Adler? I've been looking for Suzani-ish prints with the colors in Marcolo's post. DS not thrilled, so far, with Ikat, Suzani, or paisley. I will run both of your responses by the DS. Poof out; already has a brown leather and a black leather cube, and will reuse one of those. Also built bookshelves and stained them to match existing bedroom furniture. The lines of that lamp would definitely appeal to him. Off to see what he thinks about the sites. More thoughts welcome!
    ...See More

bedroom is almost done but something is missing???

Q

Comments (146)
    Okay. Thank you Julie. I’ll stick with the round mirror for my dads 60” vanity. Im sorry I stuck in another project that has a 48” vanity - does everyone think a 41” overall including 2” metal frame is too big?
    ...See More

bedroom for a young man

Q

Comments (18)
    Hi There, More painting advise needed. please advise thoughts on what color and type of paint to use for the stairwell (walls and floor/steps) for this house. You may recall, this is a house I’m working on that will provide housing for a few young men who have aged out of foster care. right now the walls are pink, floor is light blue.
    ...See More
  • bossyvossy
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Single man, I guess he can be Indian. Post something that when you look at it you say to yourself: "this is done right".! That is, if you can find it.

• Ellie RK
    7 years ago

Here's some:

Wall art

60 Stylish Bachelor Pad Bedroom Ideas · More Info

Light pink paint

Modern bachelor pad uses dropped pendants as bedside lighting - Decoist · More Info

Blanket

Space-saving shelves help tuck away all the mess - Decoist · More Info

Comforter

Open bathroom and bedroom design ideal for a compact bachelor pad - Decoist · More Info

• juddgirl2
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Does this count? Not really a bedroom, but DH's bathroom off his office/guest room.

We were going for a more masculine look with the (soon to be installed) dark stained knotty alder barn doors, black slate floors, tumbled stone shower, brushed steel medicine cabinet and pewter sconces, but the crema marfil marble tiles and Edgecomb Gray walls have a slightly blush/pink/taupe undertone.

• User
    7 years ago

Can't tell for sure but this looks like a man's bedroom to me.

• Ellie RK
    7 years ago

If you can keep it as a pale pink accent, or part of a pattern, it can look entirely masculine in a hetro males bedroom :)

• Annie Deighnaugh
    7 years ago

I'm not sure that men would *prefer* pink, but it certainly can be done. Key is clean modern lines, minimalistic design and no flowers. Rustic elements help as does brown.

• bossyvossy
    Original Author
    7 years ago

You guys are good! I looked for a while and couldn't find anything. I love the very first pic with the pink art , bathroom with pink light wall and bedroom with blush blanket/throw. Actually I like them all. The one with a mauve wall and dark grey linen and art is fab also

• My3dogs ME zone 5A
    7 years ago

I just Googled 'Man's bedroom pink' and came up with this photo from
    01/05/2011 from one of our favorite contributors - Palimpsest! It was the only way I could save the photo, but the link to the post is HERE.

• Gooster
    7 years ago

A lot of these tones are a stretch to call "pink", I think, except for Annie's post, at least on my monitor. However, I think a lot of "counter culture" younger millennial men are getting bolder with color, especially with combined with strong counterpoints and styles (black, neons, industrial, rustic, punk etc) --- probably nothing you'll find pictured in a fine design mag (lol). Otherwise, you might find some dusty rose, raspberry or salmon.

This could work for a guy, as long as friends never saw the room. He can lie and say his girlfriend picked the paint

or in small doses of a raspberry color

Rustic

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    7 years ago

However, I think a lot of "counter culture" younger millennial men are getting bolder with color

So funny, because it's only in the past twenty years of so that colors have gotten so impossibly genderized. Plenty of men wore pink shirts in the 70s and nobody thought anything of it one way or the other. Pink bathrooms in the fifties weren't necessarily perceived as girly, any more than ruffled curtains were. You could be a he-man and have ruffled cafes in the kitchen of your bachelor pad and nobody would think twice about it. If you gave a man a pink towel he'd use it and drop it on the floor for you to clean up, same as a gray one.

I was recently reading a Nero Wolfe novel from the early 50s where the cold, relentless super villain had a pink and gray office and the only implication was "classy".

But I guess that with gender uncertainty comes the need to create strong boundaries on everything.

BTW I saw that Ralph Lauren is pushing pink shirts again, including ombre, in their current menswear line.

• juddgirl2
    7 years ago

I like pink button down shirts on a man. Usually very flattering.

• Ellie RK
    7 years ago

My husband always wears pink and purple dress shirts to work. Even the store he shops in is called Pink (Thomas Pink.)

Perfectly normal to wear those colors here.

• MtnRdRedux
    7 years ago

I am guessing you are in Europe, Ellie. The very strict view on pink is largely American. I noticed in London and on the Continent, men wear a fair amount of pink and lavender. The other thing I noticed very uniquely European was a fondness for gingham in those colors and even in lime. Guys in the US would never wear pink, purple or lime gingham, esp not bankers in suits, but it was very popular esp in London circles.

your challenge is to post a pic of a man's bedroom with pink elements. Just a regular guy, not gay, not homophobic either.

Interesting, but you rarely see a photo of a "guy's bedroom" of any kind, esp a hetero guy. Hetero guy decor is a very very small % of shelter mags, in fact I can hardly recall seeing examples of any sort at all.

In India, I heard it said that "pink is their navy blue" and it is a very common color there. Even rickshaws and work trucks are decked out in colorful colors and flowers and tassels etc.

• Ellie RK
    7 years ago

MtnRd- I'm in the city (Battery Park City) Manhattan. Hubs is in finance, works on Wall. Hence why we live here, 15 minute walk and he's at work.

If you go down there today, you'll be amazed at the colors you'll see. They even opened a Thomas Pink store a few years ago.

I can't walk through the area without seeing pastel pinks and purples. Ties are another matter- bold and bright.

I agree about London- but they're much more fashion conscious than the average American.

• User
    7 years ago

You know there was a time when pink was for boys and blue for girls. Ladies' Home Journal article June 1918 "The generally
    accepted rule is pink for the boys, and blue for the girls. The reason
    is that pink, being a more decided and stronger color, is more suitable
    for the boy, while blue, which is more delicate and dainty, is prettier
    for the girl." My husband wears, and looks good in, pink shirts. He likes quiche too. :))

• AtomicJay007
    7 years ago

I don't know, some of those rooms look gay to me.

• bossyvossy
    Original Author
    7 years ago

ingeorgia, would be so interested to see the old LHJ re: pink for boys and blue for girl.

Meanwhile, I FOUND IT! My guy room with pink (and lavender)

• cawaps
    7 years ago

I'm always up for a challenge.

• Lyban zone 4
    7 years ago

With the masculine grey on the walls and the right lighting I think this pink pallet in a bedroom for a man could be quite stunning.

• torreykm
    7 years ago

Have to disagree with your MtnRdRedux. In SC and Ga. lots of men wear pastels, as well as small plaids and ginghams. One of our sons has strawberry blonde hair so he leans more toward pale coral/salmon instead of pink. Banks, lawyers, realtors, etc. wear pastels here and of course, the uniform of late spring and summer.......seersucker!

• theclose
    7 years ago

DH wears lots of pink, lavender, purple, lime. And lots of gingham! He is in banking in NY but doesn't have to wear a suit. Used to shop at Pink and a small store in SF when we lived there that was very European. It is funny bc there was another gentleman in his office that also shopped there and they'd often have the same shirts.

He also dresses in a pink dressing room, in which most of the closets are his, but it is off our master, and we are married so that doesn't count for your question.

Oh, and he is the one that wanted a pink living room! Saw it on the cover of House Beautiful or House & Garden and loved it.

• MtnRdRedux
    7 years ago

Really? I never noticed Thomas Pink as being more or less likely to carry pink shirts... It's just a UK chain that I assumed was named after its founder. There's one near me in midtown but I only ever bought a (white) shirt for me there.

I'm at a HF now so dress is casual, but when I was on the sell side I never saw gingham on American men ... Not in NYC. ..but very much so in London. And,now that someone mentions it, yes, gingham is a bit southern, too. I'm going to start looking for it. Pink flatters everyone IMHO, it's waste to keep it to girls.

Back to the OP. Show me a professionally designed bedroom in any color that is a hetero man's bedroom. I'm sure there are some but very few... I'd wager I have never seen one in a shelter mag.

• cawaps
    7 years ago

• Ellie RK
    7 years ago

Thomas Pink does carry more colors and patterns for traditional dress shirts. Or at least they did until it became popular.

Like you said they're British, and British men are more open to wearing color.

Bossyvossy- is there anything specific you're looking for?

• Annie Deighnaugh
    7 years ago

I too am curious as to what triggered this question in the first place.

• lucy132
    7 years ago

No picture, but my next door neighbor is a single, straight man and he painted his bedroom pink because he finds the color soothing, he said. I don't recall much of the other décor - pretty simple bedding, brown wood furniture - but it looked fine to me.

It's kind of silly how we collectively give colors gender and why somehow a "female" color is awkward for men but "male" colors acceptable for women.

• bossyvossy
    Original Author
    7 years ago

The subject just popped in my mind and I enjoy your imaginative postings. DH won't mind a pink shirt but it will never be his first choice on anything for himself. However he would be content in many rooms posted here if living alone.

As an aside, I can take blush ot any other hint of pink wall but when I volunteered at a hospital,'s skilled nursing wing, walls were that kind of pink so I make the unfortunate association between pink walls and sick/old.

• MtnRdRedux
    7 years ago

Bossy, I love that room ...I thought about plaid to… But I was stuck on pink plaid that still looked pretty girlish. Deep purple with olive is a little bit more flexible.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    7 years ago

I think the views of pink on men depends on where you grew up. Where I grew up (outside Philadelphia, PA), pink button down dress shirts, polo shirts, or ties were not out of the norm from the 60s on. I cannot tell you how many men had those pink/reddish trousers. My son continues that tradition. Of course, not for work, way back when, but for weekends and out to dinner. My husband and son wear pink regularly and have done so forever, it seems.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    7 years ago

I remember the era of a pink tie being called a "power tie" for men.

• Gooster
    7 years ago

I guess it is true you see more color in Europe and in the South on men -- except for the preponderance of black on everyone. Here out west, even in SF, you see a lot of gender enforced colors. It is breaking up a bit, but workplace attire is casual in many professions. With the 80s revival perhaps we'll see more of the colors you all referenced, like the RL shirts. As a check, I went to the Macy's website -- out of 993 dress shirts, 68 contained some pink. 518 contained blue.

Having written that, notice that with the millions of interior pictures on the web we had trouble finding a true pink single man's bedroom.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    7 years ago

...we had trouble finding a true pink single man's bedroom...

Well is that because we are trying to attribute gender to a room where there is not necessarily any, so our own cultural biases are looking at pink rooms and saying "this is not masculine"?

Here is a fairly gender-neutral room that happens to be very pink. What would or wouldn't make it "masculine"? "feminine"? Picture the room instead in shades of, say blue. Would that then define it as either masculine or feminine?

Eclectic Bedroom · More Info

• Ellie RK
    7 years ago

Well, the "80's" revival happened in downtown Manhattan years ago. Walk through the financial district and you'll see pink, lavender, yellow, and to a lesser extent gingham.
    Shirts are pastel, ties are bright and socks are multicolored. It's alive and well here.

Gooster, I had no problem finding these rooms. Thing is, bossy wanted it to look like a straight mans bedroom. I read that as pink elements in a modern or rustic setting. Personally though, I think it's all perception. Fluorescent pink will look manly to many - all about what you're used to.

@Annie - That room looks like it belongs in a hotel to me. I don't see gender when I look at it.

• bossyvossy
    Original Author
    7 years ago

My guy cooks, bakes and wears flowers like a girl but he'd never pick pink as a color.

@annie, don't see gender in that room. I see pink obsession, ha

• Tmnca
    7 years ago

I am female and I don't like pink at all and would never choose it for any room in my house :D

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022